Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #76
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Tried this firmware (and the patcher) on my older H2O Edition 1 (Mark 5) and it works perfect, also with last patch for landscape mode. Like on the H2O Ed2 v1 (Mark 6).
On the H2O Ed1 it gives the best (smoothest and safest) light regulation with wiping on left side compared to older firmware versions: no delay and no acidentally marking of text.
Will try it soon on an Aura 6".
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #77
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Can I try it out on Mark 4 Glo?
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #78
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
On the H2O Ed1 it gives the best (smoothest and safest) light regulation with wiping on left side compared to older firmware versions: no delay and no acidentally marking of text.
These have been an annoyance for me as well, on my H2O 1st. I wonder if Kobo will deliver an official updated firmware for it any time soon. I get that people are reporting no problems with the Forma update, but still...never know.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:03 AM   #79
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
this firmware is working on the other devices as well, why don't you try it and see for your self. i'm going to try this one on Aura HD as well, as soon as i get my hands on it.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #80
Knightreader
Connoisseur
Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Knightreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1. Kobo Forma, 2. Kobo H2O Edition 2 (v1)
Quote:
And it works perfect.
Knightreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #81
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Can I try it out on Mark 4 Glo?
Yes. That should work.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #82
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
This firmware version also works on my Kobo Aura H2O (Mark 5) without any problems.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Just install the previous one over top of it. If you want, you can also backup the .kobo directory.
I suggest backing up everything. That way, if you do want to restore the previous database, you'll have the same books available to put back in case you've deleted any.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
No, ths firmware is only for the Forma, although it works if sideloaded onto other devices.
But you have to separate the Kobo software from the Kobo OS so you don't try to load the OS. That could very well brick the device.

You want to extract jut the file KoboRoot.tgz and install that. But before you do, install the latest firmware for your device so you are sure to have the latest OS.

For my H2O, I would have to install 4.9.11314 and then I would install the new version without the OS. Then I would patch it and hope it works. I may do this given what others have said.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #85
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want to extract jut the file KoboRoot.tgz and install that. But before you do, install the latest firmware for your device so you are sure to have the latest OS.
You possibly want to delete a lot from KoboRoot.tgz before you install it. I kept only /usr/local (and even there I deleted some stuff) and /lib (thereI deleted everything but the newest files, libkmod.so.2.3.3 and newer files.)
Note: Actually, I did it with FW 4.11.11911 and installed it on a Kobo Glo.

Last edited by tshering; 11-10-2018 at 04:25 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #86
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
But you have to separate the Kobo software from the Kobo OS so you don't try to load the OS. That could very well brick the device.

For my H2O, I would have to install 4.9.11341 and then I would install the new version without the OS. Then I would patch it and hope it works. I may do this given what others have said.
Not loading the OS is not what you are doing when you install just the KoboRoot.tgz. It doesn't include the kernel, but, it includes a lot of files that are effectively part of the OS. And, the risk of installing any of the new upgrade packages on the older devices is very low. In older firmware, it was a problem. But, the update script now does more checking of the contents of the "update" directory and only installs the files appropriate for the current device. Going the other way, using the Touch package on a Clara HD, might be a problem.

Also, updating over to much of a gap is probably not going to work. Updating a Touch running the factory firmware with 4.11.11980 isn't likely to work. But, letting the Touch update to the latest official release and then installing the Mark7 4.11.11980 package will.

And for the drivers and similar included in the KoboRoot.tgz that are different, it won't remove any that are needed. It will mean extra files that are never used are on the device and some aren't updated.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #87
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
It used to be somewhat flaky before on my original H20, like getting to your desired level of light, and when lifting the finger it would move a notch up or down.
A side effect of the firmware being for the larger screen Forma thus swipe having larger "notches", or an intentional change? Either way it finally works nice.

Did notice one bug though...
Say you setup the brightness manually to 20%, then swipe up to 100%. When you open the icon for manual setup the number is still at 20% and clicking down will bring the brightness down to 19% from the 100% on screen.
Not sure how it worked on previous firmwares.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #88
marshap
Enthusiast
marshap began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Agree. Works great on orig. H2O (Mark 5). The earlier firmware had the annoying tendency to select text when trying to change illumination using the left sliding method; seems to be corrected with this version.
marshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #89
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
I installed 4.11.11980 on the Ka1 as is - manually, without any modifications of the KoboRoot.tgz.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #90
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:

For my H2O, I would have to install 4.9.11341 and then I would install the new version without the OS. Then I would patch it and hope it works. I may do this given what others have said.
Just installed it over 4.9.11314 on a original H20 with no modifications at all, no problems.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote