Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #1
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
new feature request - paste image support

At present Sigil image support allows you to incorporate existing image files into your epub. I would like to request that support be added to create a new image file in an epub from the clipboard. This would in particular facilitate incorporating images from the internet by copying them from the browser into the clipboard for pasting into an image file in the epub.

The two logical places I can see for such a feature to be implemented would be to add a "Paste from Clipboard" button to the "Add Cover" dialog or to add a "Paste from Clipboard" option to the pop-up menu for the Images folder. In either case there would either need to be a dialog to establish the file name or the feature could create a default one that the user could then rename if necessary.

I assume that such a feature could be added to Sigil via a plugin, but while I am enough of a programmer to make minor tweaks to an existing plugin creating one from scratch is far beyond my current skill at this art.

Thank you for your consideration of my request.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Assuming the image is in a web browser and not as an existing file on your computer ... in your browser, right click on image and choose save to disk. In Sigil use Add Existing File. This should work with svg images as well. Please note, make sure you have the correct rights to use the image from the image author, if needed.

To add more explanation - the underlying problem is that many browsers and even many OS's never actually copy the binary image data to the clipboard no matter how hard you try. All you get is a link. By saving the image to disk, you prevent all of these issues and you have a consistent cross-platform gui. Also since it is binary data, there is no such things as a blank jpeg or png image file (unlike svg) to paste it into.

Last edited by KevinH; 11-07-2015 at 11:36 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW: If you are doing this repeatedly for a website with large numbers of images and text, you would be much better off using wget or curl to download recursively the entire website and adding the html files which will pull in the images, or adding the image files directly.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Assuming the image is in a web browser and not as an existing file on your computer ... in your browser, right click on image and choose save to disk. In Sigil use Add Existing File. This should work with svg images as well. Please note, make sure you have the correct rights to use the image from the image author, if needed.

To add more explanation - the underlying problem is that many browsers and even many OS's never actually copy the binary image data to the clipboard no matter how hard you try. All you get is a link. By saving the image to disk, you prevent all of these issues and you have a consistent cross-platform gui. Also since it is binary data, there is no such things as a blank jpeg or png image file (unlike svg) to paste it into.
I currently have to save to disk, add file in Sigil and then I have to remember to remove the file. If copy/paste were available it would save time and actions required to complete the task.

I have tested and confirmed with gimp on my system that seamonkey does place the image in the clipboard, as I am able to copy/paste an image from it to gimp. Given this I would expect to be able to do so in Sigil. Yes the binary data would simply need to be written as the entire file within the epub, as Sigil is not intended to be a graphics/image editor. I am just looking to simplify the process I am going through.

Dave
Old 11-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
BTW: If you are doing this repeatedly for a website with large numbers of images and text, you would be much better off using wget or curl to download recursively the entire website and adding the html files which will pull in the images, or adding the image files directly.
Agreed. If this is a large production a bulk download makes sense. In my case in point, this is an occasional situation. I might be creating one file once a week.

Dave
Advert
Old 11-07-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Then having to delete one image file should be no issue.
Sorry,

KevinH
Old 11-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
Then having to delete one image file should be no issue.
Sorry,

KevinH
Deleting the file, no problem. REMEMBERING to delete the file, problem.

Dave
Old 11-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Then save it to /tmp and it will be autocleaned on boot
Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #9
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
At present Sigil image support allows you to incorporate existing image files into your epub. I would like to request that support be added to create a new image file in an epub from the clipboard.
With Firefox at least, if I "copy image" I can then paste it into a painting app, like Photoshop or Irfanview.

What I get is a rendered bitmap, not a file. The app then has to encode it to save it as a file.

If the original image was losslessly encoded, like gif or png, and you also save it to a lossless format, it's all fine, if a bit circuitous.
But if it was a jpeg, saved to a jpeg, the version you save will be degraded by the process.

So I think it's preferable to save the file and then import the file.

However, this does remind me of an idea I had:
I often extract an image, enhance it (or just reduce it from 800 kB to 80 kB, e.g.), or whatever, then replace it.

Easier if in Sigil's file browser, when you select an image have the option to edit the image in the app you set in preferences, or the default Windows app otherwise.

Sigil would extract the image to a temp folder, open the image editor on it, and when it was saved, replace the image with the edited version.

So in effect you can make Irfanview a Sigil plugin.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Doesn't right click on image in BookBrowser and selecting "Open with..." do this for you?
KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 11-08-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Doesn't right click on image in BookBrowser and selecting "Open with..." do this for you?
KevinH
Well, that was dumb of me not to notice it was already there.

Thanks.

Last edited by AlanHK; 11-13-2015 at 10:53 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Well, that was dumb of me not to notice it was already there.
Not dumb at all. I'm one of Sigil's maintainers and I still forget some of those context menu features.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #13
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
I just came here to make the same feature request really. I tend to use sigil as a notebook

So I might often select data from a web page including images and paste in. which does bring in the images as long as your online when you open the epub. thats when you bring in formatted data anyway. it is kind of tedious to have to download the images and replace the links. maybe a localise plugin might be possible to automate the task.

Of course there is more than just webpages as source material docs and pdf files can also be used. So if you can get an image on the clipboard it would be easier for a user if the image could be brought directly into sigil as a localised resource.

Maybe I should be linking to the url of the source material where its available, but sometimes you do want it at your fingertips in a field in ireland with no mobile signal.
blackest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:41 PM   #14
dhdurgee
Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
I just came here to make the same feature request really. I tend to use sigil as a notebook

So I might often select data from a web page including images and paste in. which does bring in the images as long as your online when you open the epub. thats when you bring in formatted data anyway. it is kind of tedious to have to download the images and replace the links. maybe a localise plugin might be possible to automate the task.

Of course there is more than just webpages as source material docs and pdf files can also be used. So if you can get an image on the clipboard it would be easier for a user if the image could be brought directly into sigil as a localised resource.

Maybe I should be linking to the url of the source material where its available, but sometimes you do want it at your fingertips in a field in ireland with no mobile signal.
This has been implemented via plugin. See the thread in the Plugins sub-forum. I have made extensive use of it and it works well.

Dave
Old 11-22-2015, 03:51 AM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
BTW, there are a couple of apps/add-ons/bookmarklets that allow you to save websites as .ePub or .mobi files. For example, dotepub and Instapaper.

For websites with lots of images, a dedicated browser extension, e.g. DownThemAll, might also be helpful.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote