Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: fantasyfan Vote • December 2013, Multiple Choice
Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin 3 25.00%
The Real Charlotte by E. Œ. Somerville and Martin Ross 5 41.67%
The Crock of Gold by James Stephens 4 33.33%
The Islandman by Tomas O’Crohan 4 33.33%
At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O’Brien 6 50.00%
My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories by Frank O’Connor 7 58.33%
Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan 4 33.33%
Under the Eye of the Clock by Christopher Nolan 5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #46
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I bought The Best Of from Amazon and look forward to beginning it after finishing Dubliners. Even though I didn't vote for it (only because I couldn't find an exact copy), I think it is an excellent choice this month.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #47
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have just picked up The Best Of from the library and confirm it has 10 of the 18 on fantasyfan's list - but of course lots of other ones as well.

desertblues, I think we just read the ones we have in common and then branch out where our interest takes us.
Thanks Bookpossum, I will read them all, as I rather like the stories. For the discussion I will keep to Fantasyfan's list.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #48
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have just picked up The Best Of from the library and confirm it has 10 of the 18 on fantasyfan's list - but of course lots of other ones as well.

desertblues, I think we just read the ones we have in common and then branch out where our interest takes us.
Yes, that is the easiest and most sensible approach. But there's no harm in giving some indications of your feelings about those that aren't on the list too if any made a particular impact. "Guests of the Nation" is a good case in point. It is easily obtainable and certainly worth discussing.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-12-2013 at 10:32 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #49
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I have bought The Best of . . . . and it is a fine edition with an introduction by Julian Barnes; it supplements and expands my old collection and I'm very pleased with it.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #50
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I started The Best of....last night and already love it. Delighted that this book won.
Advert
Old 12-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've tracked down all the stories; it only took four collections, lol. And I mourn some of the ones not on the list. Who wouldn't want to read a story titled "My First Protestant"?

I was delighted to discover O'Connor's autobiography when I was going through the library shelves and the first volume came home with me also.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #52
BelleZora
Wizard

I walked to the local library near my new 3-week Las Vegas home in search of the nine stories from the 'approved' list missing in my Collected Works ebook. The only Frank O'Connor book in the entire system was the 1981 Knopf Collected Stories which they kindly ordered for me from another branch. They also gave me an out-of-state library card (50 books can be checked out at a time!), treated me to a classical piano recital in a packed SRO large music chamber, and let me sign up for yoga classes. All free. Oh yes, and then there were the two museum-sized art rooms filled with gorgeous paintings of local artists.

So this quest led me to a delightful morning already made joyful enough by warmth, sunshine, palm trees, and kind people.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #53
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I found a copy of The Best of Frank O'Connor available (paper book) through my local library system. The print is so small though that I may just buy the Kindle version. One reason to prefer ebooks.
I also have in a special request for a different collection of O'Connor's stories from the statewide consortium. Between the two I should be able to read most of the listed titles.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #54
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am way behind (understatement)!!! Traveling in Northern England for a few weeks. 50% through Dubliners & trying to catch up on November's selection. Brought the book with me though and hoping to start soon. Looking forward to the Christmas break when I have some free time to relax and take a break from work which has been too busy lately!

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 12-14-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote