Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Firmware 2.8.1b

I see Kobo have updated the 2.8.1 firmware, I haven't installed it yet so I don't know what the version identification string is. [The original version was 2.8.1 (9a63806202, 15/07/13)]. Anyone know what the differences are compared to the original 2.8.1 version?

Edit: From the information in the firmware archive I assume the new version identificaton is 2.8.1 (b2c05cda0e)

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-01-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Add new version identifier
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #2
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question

Quick question: How do I update the standard (not custom) firmware on a Aura HD, with a mac? Should I just launch the Kobo Desktop app and connect the tablet, or does the tablet update itself automagically through wifi?
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclauzel View Post
Quick question: How do I update the standard (not custom) firmware on a Aura HD, with a mac? Should I just launch the Kobo Desktop app and connect the tablet, or does the tablet update itself automagically through wifi?
For normal firmware updates the new firmware will be installed sometime when you sync either via wifi or via the desktop app, however it can take a few weeks or more for a particular device to update, don't expect it to occur the very next time you sync.

Hovever this update is not a normal one, the main version number hasn't changed. If it is anything like the last time (2.6.1b) those who already have version 2.8.1 won't get the update automatically, and might have to do a factory reset or install it manually if they want it.

(If you need your reader for reading, I would wait until others have tried the new firmware before trying to install it manually.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Interesting...seems the URL is the same but the file hashes are indeed different.

[Image violates posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Why would they do this? Like GeoffR said...not everyone would get the new update, unless they reset their kobo, right? seems silly to me, why not change it to 2.8.2 or something?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-04-2015 at 01:34 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Actually you would only get the upgrade IF you did not already have that same version # installed (at least IF Kobo is following the same rules as they have in the past).

We've seen them do this multiple times in the past; re-release a version of the f/w with a new build date but the same build number.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Right. Still seems silly to me...why not just put the time and effort into the next update, rather than redoing and old update? Anyways I guess I don't have a developer thought process...they must have their reasons and have no need to inform us of them.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Not on my Mini yet.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Not on my Mini yet.
If your Mini was already on 2.8.1 and you did a factory reset, you would get the new version. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine as to when you would get the update.

Not the first time Kobo has done an upgrade to a firmware download without any public notice and likely not the last.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Interresting results.

Installed this update on two KT's update went well. Just for kicks Thought I would go ahead and do the update on the Aura HD, well it did not go so well the devices went into the endless boot loop where the little squares danced across the screen. So forced to do a restore after a reset did nothing to resolve the issue. The restore went as expected and downgraded the unit to pre owner status, and did an immediate update upon setup to the new version 2.8.1b from this point the device functions correctly and is currently reprocessing my 4500+ books back to the device. At this point its only 25% through the reprocessing part. So Wont know the exact issue till after the device is fully restored to its full library and a sync takes place.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
Right. Still seems silly to me...why not just put the time and effort into the next update, rather than redoing and old update? Anyways I guess I don't have a developer thought process...they must have their reasons and have no need to inform us of them.
No this is one of the damning issues that the kobo developers have. They fix a small error and feel less then the need to advise us of what they fixed and why. Its like the kid that steals a cookie and arranges the remaining cookies to look like it was never touched in the hopes of never being caught. They must be fixing something but what that is any ones guess.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If your Mini was already on 2.8.1 and you did a factory reset, you would get the new version. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine as to when you would get the update.
Actually, my Mini never get the 2.8.1 update (as Paola's).
So it's wait and see. Luckily during the next weeks I'll be synchronizing a book back and forth between the Mini and the Aura HD.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I never got 2.8.1 on my Mini either. I am still on 2.6.1
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
wayne2612
Enthusiast
wayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6, iPad 3, MacBook Pro with Retina
I never got the 2.8.1 update for my Mini either. I downloaded it instead and installed it manually a couple of weeks ago.
wayne2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
To the best of my knowledge 2.8.1 was not released for the Mini, only the Glo and the Aura HD.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Saw this thread - my Mini was still on 2.6.1.
Did a sync and was pleased to see 'Downloading Software',
after reboot it now shows 2.6.2

Is it just me..?
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote