Notices

Old 12-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #1
Burktross
Debugging Unenthusiast
Burktross began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Unhappy Glowlight 3 - OOBE Unable to Update

Hello all,

I've recently purchased a Nook Glowlight 3 from ebay. After finally receiving it, I have been unable to actually use it.

The first time setup begins when I power it on, and I select my timezone and connect to my wi-fi setup. After connecting to wi-fi, it says that it needs to update to continue.

It hangs on this screen; has been this way for upwards of three hours. I can press the top power button to put it into sleep mode and press it again to return to the same "downloading" screen. I can even reboot or shut down the device outright, yet whenever I start the process again, I run into the same issue. B&N support has thus far been unhelpful.

I have seen many people speaking of an SSL change that has to be updated to the firmware manually. However, the Glowlight 3 has no such manual update available.

I am not looking to use the Nook without registering it. I'd just like to be able to use it period! Does anyone have help towards that end? It would be much appreciated.

-Burktross
Burktross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:37 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
(Re-read you message. Sorry I suggested what you have already done.)

This thread might help. There appears to be a method to bypass the OOBE.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3617019

Last edited by rcentros; 12-26-2020 at 08:52 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
Burktross
Debugging Unenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
(Re-read you message. Sorry I suggested what you have already done.)

This thread might help. There appears to be a method to bypass the OOBE.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3617019
Looked into the thread beforehand; unfortunately I'm unable to reach the "Stop at the 'create account' screen" phase that it requires, nor does tapping the corners seem to do anything.

Last edited by Burktross; 12-26-2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
You might try long pressing the power button until it offers to power down or reboot, at that point hit cancel.

After updating a different model nook, the updating screen did not go away until I did something like that.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burktross View Post
Hello all,

I've recently purchased a Nook Glowlight 3 from ebay. After finally receiving it, I have been unable to actually use it.

The first time setup begins when I power it on, and I select my timezone and connect to my wi-fi setup. After connecting to wi-fi, it says that it needs to update to continue.
Stupid question, but did you charge the Nook first? The Nook has to be at 20% or more to install new firmware. Otherwise, see below.

I've never had to do this myself, but...

Here's a like to Barnes and Noble telling you how to sideload firmware: Sideloading Software Update to your NOOK

Finding the firmware was a pain. But here's an XDA page that has downloads of the stock Glowlight 3 firmware (post #9).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Finding the firmware was a pain. But here's an XDA page that has downloads of the stock Glowlight 3 firmware (post #9).
Good work! Why isn't this available for download on B&N's site? That decision seems particularly stupid.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Burktross
Debugging Unenthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
You might try long pressing the power button until it offers to power down or reboot, at that point hit cancel.

After updating a different model nook, the updating screen did not go away until I did something like that.
I did try that, unfortunately no dice.

Quote:
Stupid question, but did you charge the Nook first? The Nook has to be at 20% or more to install new firmware. Otherwise, see below.
I'm certain that this wasn't the issue; I did actually get my nook to work, and when it was finally done setting up it had occurred while at ~80% charge.

Quote:
I've never had to do this myself, but...

Here's a like to Barnes and Noble telling you how to sideload firmware: Sideloading Software Update to your NOOK

Quote:
Good work! Why isn't this available for download on B&N's site? That decision seems particularly stupid.
I greatly appreciate this and that's a very good question. I spoke to B&N support and it really seems like the Glowlight 3 is the black sheep of the glowlight family... Any troubleshooting instructions they provided to me pertained to either the original Glowlight or the new Glowlight Plus, yet nothing was ever for the Glowlight 3-- least of all the firmware. They couldn't even tell me where to find the Glowlight 3's serial number!

Nevertheless, I did "solve" the issue without having to install the firmware manually (still many thanks to ZodWallop, hopefully if anyone else needs it in the future this thread will point them to it more readily).

How I believe I fixed it

1. Glowlight 3 needs an internet connection to perform setup, yet having the connection is what allows it to check for updates in the first place, naturally. I figured that if I connected to my wi-fi, but used my router's control panel to block the access of the Glowlight 3 from accessing the rest of my network, that I might be able to temporarily skip the update and at least finish the OOBE.

The Glowlight 3 did indeed skip the update process, but without a network connection it hung up on registration.

2. Next I decided to instead of blocking it from my LAN all together, block it just from the internet. This resulted in much of the same, except this time it said "no updates needed" or something to that effect, but still hung up on where registration would occur.

3. Finally, I removed all of the network/internet blocks, and so the Nook found the update and downloaded it as normal-- only this time, it was able to get past the 100% filled in bar and complete the OOBE setup.

I am not 100% certain that this process is what actually allowed me to proceed, but I can't argue with the results-- regardless of how nonsensical they may be. If I were to venture a guess, I would say that maybe "bypassing" the update even if it failed at registration was enough to allow the firmware to understand how to proceed after updating, but I don't know.

Thank you, all, for the help you've provided; I'm glad that downloadable firmware is at least an option, should it truly be necessary in the future.
Old 12-30-2020, 02:04 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thank you, all, for the help you've provided; I'm glad that downloadable firmware is at least an option, should it truly be necessary in the future.
I'm glad you got it working. I'm guessing you're not crazy about Barnes & Noble right now, but what do you think of Glowlight 3 itself? Was it worth the hassle? (I'm still thinking of getting one of these.)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:45 AM   #9
Burktross
Debugging Unenthusiast

Quote:
I'm glad you got it working. I'm guessing you're not crazy about Barnes & Noble right now, but what do you think of Glowlight 3 itself? Was it worth the hassle? (I'm still thinking of getting one of these.)
Coming from someone who was using their 2010 Nook Classic until a few days ago, I'm quite fond of it. The battery life is pretty nice even while using the glowlight (as long as wi-fi is turned off), which is something I did not expect, especially given reports on the 2019 Nook Plus's poor battery.

I am a bit disappointed in the light itself though, only because I had false expectations coming in. Don't know where I got the idea from, but I was under the impression that the glow light was embedded between the e-ink screen and the frame, casting light from the outside onto it. Instead it's a diffuse backlight; softer on the eyes than a phone screen, for sure, but still a bit more grating than a clip on booklight. The glowlight also has weird artifacts towards the top, but it doesn't impede reading.

Ergonomically, I'm not used to how light and small it is-- it's almost a bit hard to have a one handed grip on it compared to my 2010 Nook + Case because of how little depth it has; must just be my hands. Also, while I appreciate the page turning buttons, I prefer the inlaid ones like how the original Nook has because it was harder to accidentally press them while holding it. Wedging my hand in between the nook and the case for grip usually helps with this, and even with a case it's rather easy to fit into a coat pocket.

All in all though, I'm a big fan. I just hope it keeps working for as many years as my 2010
Old 12-30-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I am a bit disappointed in the light itself though, only because I had false expectations coming in. Don't know where I got the idea from, but I was under the impression that the glow light was embedded between the e-ink screen and the frame, casting light from the outside onto it. Instead it's a diffuse backlight; softer on the eyes than a phone screen, for sure, but still a bit more grating than a clip on booklight. The glowlight also has weird artifacts towards the top, but it doesn't impede reading.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but an eInk screen can not be backlit. The display is opaque. What you are looking at is LEDs at the edge of the screen with the light being diffused across the screen by a light guide to even out the light. As you have noticed, this is not perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light_guide.png
Views:	350
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	184375   Click image for larger version

Name:	eink_capsules.png
Views:	362
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	184376  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
Burktross
Debugging Unenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but an eInk screen can not be backlit. The display is opaque. What you are looking at is LEDs at the edge of the screen with the light being diffused across the screen by a light guide to even out the light. As you have noticed, this is not perfect.
No bad news to be had in good information. That's interesting to hear, I guess that explains why the light is so soft. Still looks a bit different than a clip-on booklight, to be sure.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:36 AM   #12
Burktross
Debugging Unenthusiast

Quote:
All in all though, I'm a big fan. I just hope it keeps working for as many years as my 2010
As a bit of an aside, it seems like my Nook has temporarily stopped working after one day, instead of the many years I had hoped for. After trying to put new sideloaded books on it, the USB mode refused to close-- even after ejecting through Windows and through Calibre. After forcing a reboot, my books were no longer recognizable and trying to delete and re-add them with Calibre or Windows Explorer merely froze the Glowlight 3 on USB mode again. I had to use Erase & Deregister to get my books back in working order.

Frankly, for as old as the Nook brand is, it really should have more stable software by now. This is a little silly.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Frankly, for as old as the Nook brand is, it really should have more stable software by now. This is a little silly.
You are running into a rather common complaint about the Nook ereaders. The hardware is good but the software is crap.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:47 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I spoke to B&N support and it really seems like the Glowlight 3 is the black sheep of the glowlight family... Any troubleshooting instructions they provided to me pertained to either the original Glowlight or the new Glowlight Plus, yet nothing was ever for the Glowlight 3-- least of all the firmware. They couldn't even tell me where to find the Glowlight 3's serial number!
They fumbled the release of the Glowlight 3. Though there is 8GB of storage onboard, at release, only 2.5GB was available for sideloaded content. A terrible idea and they got backlash immediately.

They released a firmware update that swapped partitions, so now the 3 has 5GB of storage for sideloading. But I believe that is where the bugs come from.

Quote:
I have a Glowlight 3 and a 2015 Glowlight Plus and they run near-identical firmware (the 2015 Plus doesn't have color adjusting frontlight) and the Plus is very stable. The Plus also never had partitioned memory.

The 3 is buggy. Though I have had nowhere near the problems you've had.

I will say though that I am fond of my Nooks. I wish the firmware had some of Kobo's bells and whistles, but I do like the UI and reading on my Nooks is a pleasure.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #15
Ryzir
Connoisseur
Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Ryzir solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Nook GL3, Kobo H2O, Nook STG, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500
Quote:
As a bit of an aside, it seems like my Nook has temporarily stopped working after one day, instead of the many years I had hoped for. After trying to put new sideloaded books on it, the USB mode refused to close-- even after ejecting through Windows and through Calibre. After forcing a reboot, my books were no longer recognizable and trying to delete and re-add them with Calibre or Windows Explorer merely froze the Glowlight 3 on USB mode again. I had to use Erase & Deregister to get my books back in working order.

I had this happen to me a few times before I switched to Calibre Companion to manage my books. It seems the GL3 uses some sort of virtual partition for the sideloaded content that gets easily corrupted.

Calibre Companion puts the books on the regular partitions. The nook library software doesn't scan these partitions so they don't get added to that software but you can use CC to open the books in the nook reader software if you want. The books also are not accessible via usb since you can only see the virtual partition when connected via usb.

I had thought they fixed the corrupting issue with later updates but I had switched to CC before those updates so I guess maybe not?
Ryzir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, issue, stuck, update