Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #1651
bozolino
bozolino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyager
I've configured the plugin but cannot see the "Goodreads" menu in my Calibre context menu or toolbar. Running GS Sync 1.15.6 with Calibre 6.5 on Mac OS 12.6. Can anybody please help?
bozolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:40 AM   #1652
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozolino View Post
I've configured the plugin but cannot see the "Goodreads" menu in my Calibre context menu or toolbar. Running GS Sync 1.15.6 with Calibre 6.5 on Mac OS 12.6. Can anybody please help?
Have you added the Goodreads plugin onto your toolbar, using Preferences -> Toolbars? Also are you aware that there are different toolbars for when a device is plugged in, so you may want to add it to that one too? Otherwise you might plugin your reading device and then the icon disappears from the toolbar leaving you confused…

If you can’t even see Goodreads in the left list of items to add to your toolbar (and it isn’t in the right side either) then it sounds like it did not load properly. Restart calibre in debug mode and check the log file it creates for any errors - if you see them post them here.

There is more information in the first post in this thread and the sticky posts like Introduction to Plugins…
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2022, 03:53 PM   #1653
bdeshi
bdeshi began at the beginning.

Device: android
Exclamation

Hi, i've been adding books to a Goodreads list; after a few successful batch additions, suddenly this error message is popping up for most books:
Code:
calibre, version 6.5.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

calibre 6.5  embedded-python: False
Linux-5.19.9-arch1-1-x86_64-with-glibc2.36 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.19.9-arch1-1', '#1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu, 15 Sep 2022 16:08:26 +0000')
Python 3.10.7
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeACSM (0, 0, 16) && Action Chains (1, 17, 5) && Annotations (1, 17, 13) && Audit Log (1, 0, 18) && Comicvine (0, 14, 1) && Count Pages (1, 11, 3) && Entities Manager (1, 0, 18) && FanFicFare (4, 16, 0) && Fantastic Fiction (1, 5, 1) && Favourites Menu (1, 2, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 9, 7) && Goodreads (1, 7, 0) && Goodreads Sync (1, 15, 6) && ISFDB3 (1, 1, 1) && Import List (1, 8, 4) && Job Spy (1, 0, 192) && KOReader Sync (0, 3, 2) && Kobo Books (1, 9, 2) && Library Codes (1, 0, 53) && Manage Series (1, 4, 0) && Media File Importer (1, 0, 26) && MultiColumnSearch (1, 0, 89) && Quality Check (1, 12, 0) && Reading List (1, 14, 0) && Save Composite Custom Columns (1, 1, 1) && Search The Internet (1, 8, 1) && SmartEject (2, 5, 0) && Standard Ebooks (1, 0, 0) && Unplugged (1, 0, 0) && User Category (1, 5, 6) && View Manager (1, 9, 0) && Walk Search History (1, 4, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.dialogs", line 1781, in action_button_clicked
    review_id = self.grhttp.add_remove_book_to_shelf(client, shelf_name, goodreads_id, self.action)
  File "calibre_plugins.goodreads_sync.core", line 327, in add_remove_book_to_shelf
    return int(root.findtext('review-id'))
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
the "Shelf Add' action for this list only adds the shelf's name to a custom text column, syncing review texts is disabled here,so not sure why review-id related error is popping up. i've also attached my config for this plugin.

sharing details here to get help, meanwhile i'm attempting to troubleshoot this myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-10-12.01-39-18.871112437.png
Views:	86
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	197104  
bdeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:39 AM   #1654
bdeshi
bdeshi began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeshi View Post
Hi, i've been adding books to a Goodreads list; after a few successful batch additions, suddenly this error message is popping up for most books:
Code:
calibre, version 6.5.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
[...]
Actually this is some sort of rate limiting from Goodreads, because after I got that error from the plugin, Goodreads wouldn't let me add books manually from their website either, for a while.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-10-12.12-37-15.625780474.png
Views:	83
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	197109  
bdeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #1655
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeshi View Post
Actually this is some sort of rate limiting from Goodreads, because after I got that error from the plugin, Goodreads wouldn't let me add books manually from their website either, for a while.
Yeah as mentioned on the first page of this plugin Goodreads are pretty aggressive about their website being hit repeatedly for any sort of traffic they don't like - including their own APIs that this plugin uses.

It would be nicer if the plugin warned you rather than giving you a nasty message, I will put that as a rainy day task.
Advert
Old 10-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #1656
kiwidude

Goodreads Sync v1.16.0 Released

Release Notes:
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...s_sync-v1.16.0

EDIT: I have now made this the official release, so I don't forget otherwise...

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-16-2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #1657
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Hi!

I noticed that when syncing that the Goodreads Date Read now has a time stamp, is there a way of getting that in Calibre? I only have a column dd MMM yyyy. If I update it to dd MMM yyy hh:mm will that work?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:41 PM   #1658
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Hi!

I noticed that when syncing that the Goodreads Date Read now has a time stamp, is there a way of getting that in Calibre? I only have a column dd MMM yyyy. If I update it to dd MMM yyy hh:mm will that work?
Hi Rellwood - that might just be a side effect of some other code changes I did rather than intentional that I didn't spot. I don't believe Goodreads attempt to capture a time, anything you see in there is just an accident from timezone offsets I think. I don't use the "Sync" functionality myself hence didn't spot it.

I will fix that dialog so it goes back to displaying just a date (and in a nicer format than what it currently does)...

EDIT: Actually I see the same behavior in the previous version of this plugin too, so I don't think it has been formatting dates "nicely" for a while now.

Last edited by kiwidude; 10-18-2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2022, 03:45 PM   #1659
kiwidude

Goodreads Sync v1.16.1 Released

Release Notes:
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...s_sync-v1.16.1

This should fix that date formatting you see visually. If you go into the Edit Metadata dialog and look at the value in your read date field it will still have a time element to it. But displayed in your calibre column which excludes that it should look fine.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:07 AM   #1660
autolo
autolo began at the beginning.

Device: Android S5
I suddenly get this message every time I try to update reading progress, worked the other day, and don't remember if I did that before or after updating the plugin to the latest version. The error just comes back after closing it, so have to force close Calibre to get rid of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Error.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	197273  
autolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 02:53 AM   #1661
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by autolo View Post
I suddenly get this message every time I try to update reading progress, worked the other day, and don't remember if I did that before or after updating the plugin to the latest version. The error just comes back after closing it, so have to force close Calibre to get rid of it.
I have had that annoying loop of having to force close a few times while working on this screen and agree it is very painful, sorry about that.

This issue will be related to the latest date formatting change I made. I will take a look, may just revert that date format change if I can’t figure out a quick fix. PyQt plus Python date handling are a nasty combination I know very little about and it shows unfortunately. These are not technologies I use in my day job so there is a lot if trial and error involved sometimes…
Old 10-20-2022, 04:37 AM   #1662
autolo
autolo began at the beginning.

Device: Android S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I have had that annoying loop of having to force close a few times while working on this screen and agree it is very painful, sorry about that.

This issue will be related to the latest date formatting change I made. I will take a look, may just revert that date format change if I can’t figure out a quick fix. PyQt plus Python date handling are a nasty combination I know very little about and it shows unfortunately. These are not technologies I use in my day job so there is a lot if trial and error involved sometimes…
Thanks for quick answer, just good to know something didn't happen with my configuration here.
autolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 04:45 AM   #1663
kiwidude

Goodreads Sync v1.16.2 Released

Release Notes:
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...s_sync-v1.16.2

Thanks to @autolo for reporting this.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #1664
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Delete this post.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #1665
Rellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Hi Rellwood - that might just be a side effect of some other code changes I did rather than intentional that I didn't spot. I don't believe Goodreads attempt to capture a time, anything you see in there is just an accident from timezone offsets I think. I don't use the "Sync" functionality myself hence didn't spot it.

I will fix that dialog so it goes back to displaying just a date (and in a nicer format than what it currently does)...

EDIT: Actually I see the same behavior in the previous version of this plugin too, so I don't think it has been formatting dates "nicely" for a while now.

Don't fix it...The dates and times are accurate. I can see that the times are showing correctly, and I just reset my column to have hh:mm (am/pm)..it's nice to see what time I finished reading the books. If the column isnt' formatted with the times then it doesn't matter to others.

Tags
calibre, goodreads