Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #31
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
So far I am loving it. No eye strain at all after long period of reading novels. Reading magazines on the NC is just phenomenal; I haven’t bought too many e-books but I am perfectly willing to hand over my money to B&N for more magazine subscription. Web browser is fine and very usable but I prefer my laptop and I miss the keyboard.

The Nook Color is a huge leap forward as compared to the Classic Nook; besides pleasure reading, it can do so much more. For people who have no problems reading on LCD screen, it is just hard to go back to the monochrome e-ink screen. Both my daughter and my husband were extremely impressed with the NC. My daughter always borrows my new toy on a permanent basis. She took possession of my Classic Nook a month after I got it. When she first saw the gorgeous screen display of the Nook Color, her entire face lit up. Now she keeps complaining the lack of color and features of the Classic nook. I know I am losing my new toy again so I am ordering another one just for her as a Christmas gift.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Kindle3 owner here... tried the NC at the store the other day...

I hope this doesn't come across as trolling, these were my honest opinions on the device...

Too heavy... without a case, it was already heavier than my K3 with its lighted leather case.

Too big, though not big enough. The example materials were magazine pages that didn't scale well to the screen. This could be resolved with magazines that are actually designed for the device, but images of paper pages didn't work well on the screen. It wasn't easy to zoom and pan, panning was a bit choppy, making the experience worse.

It's still LCD, and all press releases aside, it's still too reflective. The matte finish on my eeePC screen is FAR better than the NC. The resolution is too low, and it still emits light. Text looked much more pixelated than the eInk display on my K3 or the LCD on my Android phone.

Overall I was happy that I decided to go with the K3 rather than waiting for this next generation Nook.

Again, not trolling, just sharing my opinions for those who are on the fence.

You don't come across as trolling. I think the thread is directed to NOOKcolor owners who made the decision to purchase and can evaluate the device based on personal usage.

Last edited by SCION; 11-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #33
cw30000
cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
I use the anti-glare screen overlay and the touch works great. I didn't really use it without the overlay so I didn't ever experience it being overly sensitive. BTW, I'm loving the device. The software could use some updates but I'm happy with the functionality already. My main items would be better pdf support and better on device file management.
Is this the anti-glare screen overlay you referring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barnes-Noble-Noo...item53e4cb6cf9

thanks.
cw30000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #34
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
I bought some kids books on it and read them to my 3 year old last night. He loved them and fell asleep to Thomas the tank engine.$3.99 for 4 storys is a deal for me for kids books lol. He also loves the read to me feature. I just put a lot of pics on it and a bunch of videos and it looks awesome on it. I think I am just going to give my wife my nook classic lol.My main concern was eye strain on the lcd. I get it on my laptop a lot but when i am on the nook color my eyes don't hurt at all I just wish i could turn the brightness down a little bit more for perfection, hopefully in an update.
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I love my NOOKcolor and it is heavier than the NOOK and kindle (though the kindle DX is heavier). I do find it amusing that a newton owner would complain about weight of the NOOKcolor.

The NOOKcolor is a totally different device than the kindle. The kindle doesn't compete at all. The LCD text is in no way pixelated, it is very crisp and compares very well to eInk, some images with text on them have pixelation due to scaling. I have seen this in some fictionwise cover art. For my winter reading the NOOKcolor is superior as I read more at night and in low light conditions now, unlike summer where I read on the deck in the sun. The brightness is configurable and easily adjusted. The formatting options on the NOOKcolor are greater than the kindle and the NOOK. The UI is superior by far, due to the intuitive nature of touch.

Magazine support is great and I found no issues with Pan and Zoom except when my NOOKcolor has been played with a lot and had 3 doc files opened and closed, 2 movies started, 4-5 books opened and closed in the last few minutes. Then I found some app unstable behavior that interfered with all UI actions. Given that this software is brand new, I didn't worry and that type of use is common only during demos and displays. I rebooted and in normal use find no issues. PDF support is stunning. I haven't seen any reader handle PDFs better, though I haven't tried the IPad reader and PDFs.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #36
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I love my NOOKcolor and it is heavier than the NOOK and kindle (though the kindle DX is heavier). I do find it amusing that a newton owner would complain about weight of the NOOKcolor.

The NOOKcolor is a totally different device than the kindle. The kindle doesn't compete at all. The LCD text is in no way pixelated, it is very crisp and compares very well to eInk, some images with text on them have pixelation due to scaling. I have seen this in some fictionwise cover art. For my winter reading the NOOKcolor is superior as I read more at night and in low light conditions now, unlike summer where I read on the deck in the sun. The brightness is configurable and easily adjusted. The formatting options on the NOOKcolor are greater than the kindle and the NOOK. The UI is superior by far, due to the intuitive nature of touch.

Magazine support is great and I found no issues with Pan and Zoom except when my NOOKcolor has been played with a lot and had 3 doc files opened and closed, 2 movies started, 4-5 books opened and closed in the last few minutes. Then I found some app unstable behavior that interfered with all UI actions. Given that this software is brand new, I didn't worry and that type of use is common only during demos and displays. I rebooted and in normal use find no issues. PDF support is stunning. I haven't seen any reader handle PDFs better, though I haven't tried the IPad reader and PDFs.
Could not agree more. I don't know about the young folks, but the LCD is so much better for us old guys with failing eyesight. I had to have a spot light behind me for the Nook Classic but can read the Nook Color in any light, dark or light.

I use PDF's for work and they are very usable even for sales presentations.

For $250, it does everything I need and more.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #37
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
Customer Service on the page flipping issue

I called customer service about this and after a few minutes of dealing with the line rep, she finally got me to a person familiar with the problem. I was told I needed to do a hard reset (not the reset in the manual, but a full 20 sec. with the home and power bottons pressed. It returned the CN to its pristine new out of the box condition. I had to go through the setup again, but now it seems fine...stable. Hope it stays that way.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Kindle3 owner here... tried the NC at the store the other day...

I hope this doesn't come across as trolling, these were my honest opinions on the device...

Too heavy... without a case, it was already heavier than my K3 with its lighted leather case.

Too big, though not big enough. The example materials were magazine pages that didn't scale well to the screen. This could be resolved with magazines that are actually designed for the device, but images of paper pages didn't work well on the screen. It wasn't easy to zoom and pan, panning was a bit choppy, making the experience worse.

It's still LCD, and all press releases aside, it's still too reflective. The matte finish on my eeePC screen is FAR better than the NC. The resolution is too low, and it still emits light. Text looked much more pixelated than the eInk display on my K3 or the LCD on my Android phone.

Overall I was happy that I decided to go with the K3 rather than waiting for this next generation Nook.

Again, not trolling, just sharing my opinions for those who are on the fence.
Thanks for your insight. Your points are valid and the Color isn't for everyone. For my needs, the Color is the best Android tablet currently out there. That said, I won't be using it to read novels. It's too heavy and the backlit LCD still bothers my eyes for long reading sessions. I still plan to get an eInk reader as my main reading device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I know I am losing my new toy again so I am ordering another one just for her as a Christmas gift.
That's cool.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 AM   #40
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzasuro View Post
I bought some kids books on it and read them to my 3 year old last night. He loved them and fell asleep to Thomas the tank engine.$3.99 for 4 storys is a deal for me for kids books lol. He also loves the read to me feature.
I'm very interested in getting the NC for the kids' books. Thanks for your insight!
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #41
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Is this the anti-glare screen overlay you referring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Barnes-Noble-Noo...item53e4cb6cf9

thanks.
I actually bought mine at Barnes and Noble. I don't know if it's the same material as this one on ebay.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #42
ypocaramel
Connoisseur
ypocaramel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-700, Barnes and Noble NOOKcolor)
Quote:

Too big, though not big enough.
Valid criticism. I'm hesitant about the 7" form factor, hope to try it out my my NOOKcolor arrives.

Quote:
That's a inherent problem with the need the for a capacitive touch layer - it needs glass or some other insulator on top of the LCD, and that's just going to be reflective. They did try to mitigate it, not just PR, but it's just that - mitigation. I don't know how much gloss is actually on it though, maybe they put some on to make magazines look better in the shop. Sony readers use infrared sensors instead, but not sure if that does multi-touch etc... Pixel pitch problem is there, sure, not sure what you mean by emitting light though... it's backlit, I suppose, but?
ypocaramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #43
btn
btn is on a distinguished road

Device: nook color
I've had mine for 3 days and so far I'm not a fan. Can't read any of my ereader.com books(owned by Barnes and Noble.) Can't play any of my mp4 video's. Web browsing is slow and difficult. Facebook does not work well, dont bother to try and update your profile.

Device is heavy and bulky. B&H bookstore is inferior to Amazon, only 2 of the 14 books on my Amazon wish list are available.

Now if B&H let us know that they are working on these issues, and that their would be an app to read ereader.com books for instance, I would be more likely to stick it out. As of now I'm seriously thinking about returning it.
btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #44
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
Love it...Love it...Love it

(did I mention that I Love It??)

;-)
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #45
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I've had mine for 3 days and so far I'm not a fan. Can't read any of my ereader.com books(owned by Barnes and Noble.) Can't play any of my mp4 video's. Web browsing is slow and difficult. Facebook does not work well, dont bother to try and update your profile.

Device is heavy and bulky. B&H bookstore is inferior to Amazon, only 2 of the 14 books on my Amazon wish list are available.

Now if B&H let us know that they are working on these issues, and that their would be an app to read ereader.com books for instance, I would be more likely to stick it out. As of now I'm seriously thinking about returning it.
Seems like the dissatisfaction outweighs the satisfaction. Just return it. You can always buy it again in the future if/when your concerns are addressed.

With regard to the video issues, there are helpful discussions on this. Many are enjoying quality video on the device. You don't have to go it alone.

Last edited by SCION; 12-01-2010 at 10:48 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote