Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-28-2023, 06:15 PM   #121
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kith View Post
Bright backlight (phone, tablet, laptop) ends my reading interest.
Me too. That's why I dim it way down.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:07 PM   #122
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Me too. That's why I dim it way down.
I try that on my smartphone, but when the light level is comfortable, the contrast is poor. All eyes are different I guess.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 09:34 PM   #123
jhagri
jhagri began at the beginning.

Device: none
Instead of being a member of a library and going to a library to read books daily, I like to read books in the comfort of my home. It gives freedom to read books by sitting or laying on the bed. Of course, it can be a little investment but over the time, you build your own library.

Some of the books were not available in my nearby shops, so to buy these books I had to go to a railway station where is a shop of a wide range of the latest books written by popular writers golbally.
jhagri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:03 PM   #124
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I try that on my smartphone, but when the light level is comfortable, the contrast is poor. All eyes are different I guess.
I guess. I wouldn't even know how poor contrast would manifest itself to me. I see the words, I read the words. None of the devices I've seen/owned (including eink) made it any easier/harder for me to read the words at a comfortable backlight setting.

Not that I'd read for any length of time on a smartphone anyway. But not because of intensity or contrast. I just like to get in more than two or three paragraphs before needing to turn the page.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-28-2023 at 10:07 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:03 AM   #125
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
I don't speak the local language where I live, and the local library's English catalogue is a bit limited. And when they do have something I want to read, I have to read it on the Libby app or the browser instead of my preferred reader. It's far more convenient to get my own copy.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:31 AM   #126
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
I don't speak the local language where I live, and the local library's English catalogue is a bit limited. And when they do have something I want to read, I have to read it on the Libby app or the browser instead of my preferred reader. It's far more convenient to get my own copy.
If you're looking for an English ebook catalogue, Queens Public Library still accepts international members for fifty dollars a year. It integrates directly with your Kobo.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:27 AM   #127
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you're looking for an English ebook catalogue, Queens Public Library still accepts international members for fifty dollars a year. It integrates directly with your Kobo.
Thank you! I didn't know. I will definitely take a look
Old 05-31-2023, 10:50 AM   #128
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
The variety of books they have is mind-boggling. From the latest bestsellers to obscure indie titles, it's all there.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:47 AM   #129
Connoisseur

I signed up for Queen's Public Library. I'm quite pleased with my choices but a bit sad that their physical library isn't all accessible digitally, they have a ton of books I'd love to read that can't be accessed online. I should book a flight
Old 06-07-2023, 05:32 AM   #130
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Is there a way of browsing the Queen's Public Library ebook catalogue by genre? I'm a bit parochial and tend to stick to science fiction and fantasy but I can't find a way to see how many ebooks they have in a certain genre (any genre).

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #131
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Is there a way of browsing the Queen's Public Library ebook catalogue by genre? I'm a bit parochial and tend to stick to science fiction and fantasy but I can't find a way to see how many ebooks they have in a certain genre (any genre).

Andrew
This is the Subjects page from the QPL Overdrive catalog: https://queenslibrary.overdrive.com/browse
It has the number of books listed next to the genre.

Their Axis360 catalog fiction section is here, but you have to drill down from the side flyout menu, and there are no numbers listed: https://queens.axis360.baker-taylor....ubject=FICTION

Their Hoopla catalog fiction section is here, again, no numbers so you have to click on the genres to see but still easier to browse than the Axis360 catalog: https://www.hoopladigital.com/ebook/...nres/917232392
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:46 PM   #132
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
This is the Subjects page from the QPL Overdrive catalog: https://queenslibrary.overdrive.com/browse
It has the number of books listed next to the genre.

Their Axis360 catalog fiction section is here, but you have to drill down from the side flyout menu, and there are no numbers listed: https://queens.axis360.baker-taylor....ubject=FICTION

Their Hoopla catalog fiction section is here, again, no numbers so you have to click on the genres to see but still easier to browse than the Axis360 catalog: https://www.hoopladigital.com/ebook/...nres/917232392
And you get access to all three of those catalogues with the same library card? Wow. I might just fork out the $50 a year. Thanks for that info, that was very helpful.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:56 PM   #133
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
And you get access to all three of those catalogues with the same library card? Wow. I might just fork out the $50 a year. Thanks for that info, that was very helpful.

Andrew
I ghink only overdrive will work with your paperwhite.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:18 AM   #134
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I guess. I wouldn't even know how poor contrast would manifest itself to me. I see the words, I read the words. ...
Low contrast, for me, means the words fade into the background. So, unless I squint, I really don't see the words.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #135
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
I did just that, thanks all for the info!

Just be aware that while the e-card is indeed available outside of the US, one's access to some content might be limited depending on where they are geographically located. Case in point: neither the Axis360 nor the Hoopla apps are available in my country's App Store. One might want to check availability before joining the library.

A few points to consider:
  • All three sites offer direct reading or listening via the PC browser (if that's your thing).
  • Overdrive ebooks work fine with my Kindle (registered with a UK address), and the Libby app (from Overdrive) works well with both ebooks and audiobooks.
  • ebooks on Axis360 are available for download as .epub files with Adobe DRM; this makes it possible at least to deDRM those books to read them on an ereader (which I consider a valid use case here as the app is not available; just be sure to delete the book after reading). Audiobooks are in a proprietary format and cannot be downloaded and/or decrypted.
  • For Hoopla, there doesn't seem to be a way to download any content at all. So in countries where the app is not available, this catalogue is PC only.
  • It is likely possible to download the apps by changing your home country in the App Store, however this is not always practical; for instance, you might have region-specific subscriptions on your account, which have to be canceled before the country can be changed. As this is my case, I haven't tried this, and cannot confirm it works, or if a VPN is required to retrieve content, etc.

It’s also worth pointing out that the video streaming sites available via the Libby app (Kanopy, IndieFlix, Quello Concerts and The Great Courses) are all accessible from abroad; there’s some really interesting stuff in there!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone

Last edited by BionicGecko; 06-08-2023 at 01:03 PM.
BionicGecko is online now   Reply With Quote