Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
joelones
joelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: none
Another Kobo Glo Dud?

Long story short, I just received my replacement kobo glo and it's giving me problems.

Here's what happens: I connect the glo to Kobo Desktop and it prompts me to update the firmware to 3.3.0, it downloads, installs and then gets to the "Restarting Screen" (where you see the five squares, and restarting in all the languages) and freezes there. The squares do not appear to moving. At this point only a reset with a paperclip reboots the device.

Once rebooted it gets to the main/home screen and touchscreen is not responsive. A second reboot takes me this time to the select language screen, again, touchscreen is not responsive.
I really don't know what to do at this point.

Please help.
joelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Do a factory reset using the buttons:

- Slide the power switch over and hold it for at least 20 seconds. This will ensure it is off.
- Hold the light button down and turn it on.
- Release the light button when the LED starts to flash.

This should do a complete reset of the device and take you back to the initial setup. Part of this will be a firmware upgrade to the latest version, but hopefully that will be applied OK and everything will work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What David said. And not sure how long you waited after the boxes stopped, but sometimes it can take a few (I'd give it at least 10) minutes where it might look frozen but is doing stuff in the background and doing a paperclip reset may have interrupted that and resulted in a corrupted update.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
joelones
joelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshesjoelones can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I've done multiple factory resets, (taking the firmware update) and still same situation. In fact, I've even waited an hour after the boxes stopped, just freezes there.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try the factory reset again. And connect to the PC to do the setup. It will download the new firmware. When that is finished, don't disconnect. Go to the device and in the ".kobo" directory, delete the files "KoboRoot.tgz" and "manifest.md5sum" and the directory "upgrade". Then disconnect and see if it works OK with the factory firmware.
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
joelones

davidfor, thanks.

So I did as you say and now I'm immediately prompted with the "Meet your eReader" screen, (page 1 of 8 of the wizard). Weird thing is that I did not see the upgrading firmware screen as I did with prior attempts. Sadly though, I cannot proceed with the wizard, either by clicking next or the X. Touchscreen not responsive.

Keeping my finger on the power switch does nothing. Reset with paperclip, back to "Meet your eReader" screem, touchscreen not responsive.

Will just RMA it, again...
Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, send it back. And yell and scream at them. It probably won't make the replacement arrive quicker, but it will let you blow off some steam
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know I've said it before, but I'll suggest it again.... reach out to Kobo's support via Twitter; describe the issue and the frustration you've encountered and ask them what they are going to do to set this right?

Suggest to them that it needs more than just a device replacement.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
joelones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I know I've said it before, but I'll suggest it again.... reach out to Kobo's support via Twitter; describe the issue and the frustration you've encountered and ask them what they are going to do to set this right?

Suggest to them that it needs more than just a device replacement.
I hadn't thought about that. Never used twitter for that reason. How exactly should I got about doing this? Thanks.

But it's been nothing but hell for the last month. Dealing with kobo support and receiving a replacement dud. Initial idea to purchase the kobo was to have it for vacation, of course, that didn't pan out.

Most recent discussion with the CSR, I expressed my displeasure, all I got was a promo code for 100% for something or other. I asked to be bumped to the Aura, they wouldn't have it.

Now I look forward to a replacement for the replacement.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try going to https://twitter.com/KoboHelp/with_replies and post a tweet to @KoboHelp with details (including any incident numbers).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
joelones

Sent a couple of tweets to @KoboHelp, saying how I should be given more than just a device replacement for all this hassle - no response. In fact, the last tweet from @KoboHelp was in July, so I'm not sure what's going on with their twitter account.