Notices

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #16
eolake
Enthusiast
eolake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's exactly how it works. You load files into its library, and then tell it which one to read. Those files can be ePub books, text, Word docs, PDFs, etc.

It uses the standard iOS "Open With..." and "Copy to..." mechanism, and can also get files from Dropbox, etc.

Cool, thank you.
eolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:15 AM   #17
eolake
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
depending on what you plan to do with your " made" audiobook isn't this legally dubious

if Amazon want £x to add the audiobook to a kindle copy you bought, but you go DIY your own for free....

surely, legally, you should stay in the world of " on demand" TTS playback. Once you seek to make a permanent recording of that, then it's like the difference between streaming and downloading [ it's the latter that can see you in court ]
."
It's worth looking into, and I think I'll stick with TTS.
But I don't think anybody has been prosecuted for making a copy of legally acquiered material for their own personal use, for example making DVD of a film from TV.
Advert
Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolake View Post
Cool, thank you.
You're welcome, of course, but did you not look at the link to the website I sent you? It explains exactly how it works on there!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
sure, own personal use is under the radar & unlikely to attract attention
I was actually more suprised that the site allowed detailed how-to prescriptions for getting around the DRM which is protecting the e-book and thus also protecting the TTS ? , given that such discussions are usually verboten & ban inducing
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
sure, own personal use is under the radar & unlikely to attract attention
I was actually more suprised that the site allowed detailed how-to prescriptions for getting around the DRM which is protecting the e-book and thus also protecting the TTS ? , given that such discussions are usually verboten & ban inducing
We don't allow detailed discussions of DRM-removal, and there have been no such discussions on this thread, as far as I can see. Making an audio recording of the output from a TTS application has nothing whatsoever to do with DRM.
Advert
Old 06-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok - your site, your rules.
seems to me you are discussing how to obtain unprotected audio from an encrypted source, but hey, I'm not a lawyer.
So only the written words in an ebook are the author's IP ?

Knowingly uploading a copyright ebook is an instant ban but sharing an audio file of it being "read" would be OK - because Making an audio recording of the output from a TTS application has nothing whatsoever to do with DRM ?

.... but perhaps this is not the place for that discussion
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
stumped
Wizard

PS google has many legal references. read them ( aloud if you must) if interested.
e.g.
http://www.jetlaw.org/journal-archiv...copyright-law/
https://sunsteinlaw.com/read-it-alou...kindle-reader/
Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Knowingly uploading a copyright ebook is an instant ban but sharing an audio file of it being "read" would be OK - because Making an audio recording of the output from a TTS application has nothing whatsoever to do with DRM ?
It has nothing to do with DRM, but it would be a breach of copyright, and would equally earn you a one-way ticket off the site. The OP, however, is not proposing to distribute the recordings to anyone, and format conversion for personal use is legal in many jurisdictions.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard

Ok, straw man argument.:
if someone takes that allowed audio file and uses it as input to Dragon narutally speaking software... then prints the results.. at what step did that become drm circumvention ?
Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What if, what if, what if...

I'm sure we can all think of ways in which pretty much any technology could be abused. None of which has any relevance for the original poster's perfectly reasonable desire to have his ebooks read with TTS.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #26
eolake
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're welcome, of course, but did you not look at the link to the website I sent you? It explains exactly how it works on there!
Does it? This one?
http://www.voicedream.com/reader/
Maybe the new forms of web layout confuse me, but that page does confuse me a bit. I don't really see any basic explanatory text, and I'm not sure what the links lead to.

But I still have it, and I've now bought the app.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Excellent! I'm sure you'll find it useful.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
FWIW - to make an audio-book I open the book (normally EPUB, always with no DRM) in Balabolka (Windows), choose a suitable voice, save as MP3, and copy to my MP3 player.

If format shifting between textual formats for personal use is permissible in a given jurisdiction, surely format shifting from a textual to an audible format would be equally permissible.

And, I thought DRM was merely a means to deter breach of the creators IPR, and that its absence doesn't mean a work isn't protected under IPR law.

Apparently Gene Simmons is claiming trademark on a hand gesture

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:09 PM   #29
svyk
svyk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
If you can't find a Mac app with a good "voice" then recording the audio from the Fire with your Mac. You'll need a range of cables/adapters to do it, but it can work.

With most modern Macs you need:
  • a stereo patch cord, 3.5mm male-to-male, that to connect to your fire
  • a stereo-to mono adapter (female stereo to male mono)
  • audio recording software (e.g. Garage Band, Audacity, ...)

The only big issues will then be getting the audio out to be low enough volume so that it doesn't overload the sensitive mic input cause distorted audio. Start with the Fire's volume at zero and raise it slowly while monitoring the recording from the Mac.

If your Mac has an earphone only jack instead of the earphone/mic combo jack or the old pair of discrete jacks then you would need a USB audio device and appropriate cords. Some of these devices are simple stereo headphone out and mono mic in and cost less than $10USD. Others are more substantial and offer higher quality audio in and out and input is stereo. These will be more in the $30-60 range, and up, and are often mixers in addition to being audio interfaces (DACs).
Kind sir,

I'm trying to do exactly this with my kindle keyboard TTS feature. I have a windows computer with both a audio jack and microphone jack. How would I go about recording? Do I plug my kindle headphone jack to the stereo to mono adapter?
svyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #30
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by svyk View Post
Kind sir,

I'm trying to do exactly this with my kindle keyboard TTS feature. I have a windows computer with both a audio jack and microphone jack. How would I go about recording? Do I plug my kindle headphone jack to the stereo to mono adapter?
Note, this is an antique thread and you should have started a new one and, perhaps, referenced this oldie with a link.

That said, with some source devices you may need a stereo>mono adapter in the chain. With TTS, the voice will almost always to send equally to both output channels so using a simple mono cable or a stereo cable without the stereo>mono adapter will get all of the audio information.

The primary problem is that the headphone output from the source device (K3 Keyboard in your case) is a massively stronger signal than a microphone input, on the recording device, is designed to handle. You may be able to adjust the Kindle's volume low enough to work. Failing that, you need to track down a patch cord or adapter that contains a "limiting resistor" to reduce the signal level.

If your computer has a set of Aux level audio inputs in addition to the microphone input things can be easier. You simply use a stereo patch cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug on one end, to connect to the Kindle, and a pair of RCA Phono plugs on the other, to connect to the Left and Right Aux inputs on the computer. Aux level inputs can generally handle most headphone output signals, though the output volume will need to be set fairly low.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobook tts text