Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #631
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
mobama:
1) What is not working, selection (open with) or Coolreader crashing? If selection look 2 posts up (keyword extension.cfg)
2) Coolreader versions, papierlos-lesen has an older version, thats the only difference I know of.
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #632
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
I have not updated the firmware on Touch HD and this is maybe the reason why Coolreader works on Touch HD).
Coolreader works solidly on my Touch HD with latest Pb firmware.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 05:34 AM   #633
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
mobama:
1) What is not working, selection (open with) or Coolreader crashing? If selection look 2 posts up (keyword extension.cfg)
Okay, I put it on my Inkpad 2. The result:

- TXT files open now with Coolreader by tapping in the main view or the library list
- EPUB and other files still open with the default reading app
- No change under Open with menu

This is exactly how far I got with other versions of Coolreader too in Inkpad 2. I suspect there is something in the latest firmware that is not treating extension.cfg right, and yes, I have tried changing extensions.cfg. It has no effect in Inkpad 2.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #634
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@church mouse Did you update the firmware before installing Coolreader or after? I guess after.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #635
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If this would change anything, with pocketbooks you can allways go back an try an older firmware (forced update: boot with buttons back and forward pressed).
Advert
Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM   #636
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
No - I got my HD after the release of the latest firmware, so the first thing I did was update the firmware and then installed Coolreader.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #637
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
If this would change anything, with pocketbooks you can allways go back an try an older firmware (forced update: boot with buttons back and forward pressed).
I know. Maybe I will try it some other day.

It's a great pity that Coolreader doesn't work on Inkpad 2. It is badly needed on precisely Inkpad 2 and less needed on Touch HD. On Touch HD there is the folder /system/reader/ that defines the styles for different formats. It's possible to alter the styles and in principle this renders a different reading app unnecessary. Inkpad 2 does not have this and this is why Inkpad 2 requires another more flexible reading app.

I have Koreader here too, but the more the merrier.

@church mouse Okay, this almost gives me enough courage to update my Touch HD.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:37 AM   #638
nhedgehog
Guru

I don't have an Inkpad 2 but I'm quite sure that Coolreader will work on the Inkpad 2.
But to help you we need more data. I would start with
1) Firmware number.
2) Exact content of extension.cfg and where this file is placed.
3) It sounds like you got Koreader working, how?
4) Link to the Coolreader build you are using.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #639
mobama
Evangelist

Before I answer in more detail, I have a note on Coolreader: Am I the only one reading in landscape mode? Namely the standby splash is totally not made for landscape mode. To be sure, this is only a minor esthetical issue, not a usability issue, but has it been reported?

Edit: Cancel the above. The splash was weird only the first time I set the app to landscape. The second time the splash already fixed itself. I guess this is how it works.

[hr]

@nhedhehog, looks like you are willing to walk with me as I try again to install Coolreader on Inkpad 2. I have installed several versions one after the other, deleting the previous one every time, and on every version I have tried a bunch of different edits of extensions.cfg, all to no avail. I will let you know when I make another attempt, probably tomorrow.

Last edited by mobama; 08-19-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #640
mobama
Evangelist

I found another Coolreader version, by vlasovsoft http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/

It's actually a bunch of apps, Coolreader included. It instantly began working on my Inkpad 2. Differences in vlasovsoft compared to the Coolreader version of this thread:

- No way to open books from the main booklist (there is an internal Open file menu to navigate the directories though)
- No pinch-to-zoom
- The file manager seems to have no search or filtering, so it's annoyingly slow

Otherwise it works and I am keeping it for now.

Last edited by mobama; 08-19-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #641
mobama
Evangelist

@nhedgehog FYI, I managed to install, and got to work on my Inkpad 2, the Coolreader version of this thread. All it took was to download and install it when connected to a different computer

Edit: I think I figured out the problem I was having - each epub that I have opened earlier on the device with the default viewer, it continues to open with the default viewer and Coolreader gets ignored. I guess the solution is to clean Pocketbook cache. This applies to Inkpad 2.

How did I get Koreader to work on my Touch HD? Well, it was a hassle, but after multiple tries and hacking it began to start up and work. It's crashier on Touch HD than on Inkpad 2, but works. It took a bit of hacking as indicated here https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ment-268991273 (until the word powerd)

Best of luck!

Last edited by mobama; 08-21-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #642
nhedgehog
Guru

Glad to hear it worked.
Yes Pocketbook is saving the selected viewer per book.
There is a collection of script which handles resetting this quit nice on the device.
Releases are published here. Support thread is here, if you know Russian.

Last edited by nhedgehog; 08-21-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #643
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Or you could set handlers.cfg to read-only if you plan to only use CR.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #644
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Or you could set handlers.cfg to read-only if you plan to only use CR.
Or Coolreader could have an Open file thingie. It cannot be too hard. Vlasovsoft version has it

Thanks for all the suggestions. Slowly but surely I will be able to open any file with any app I want.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:40 AM   #645
mobama
Evangelist

Looks like the book position percentage comes in six characters:

- two-place full number
- comma
- two digits after comma
- percentage mark

This is way too much information and waste of space.

Is it possible to turn off the decimals?