Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I didn't know Sony had dedicated physical stores. I checked after reading your post, and there are none in my area, but it would make for a more fair comparison.
They don't have many, the stores are more of a function to show presence than really to sell. They don't carry a lot of products just their higher end stuff so it makes for a treat to stop in and see some cool gadgets.

And in every store there is a home theater room.... I walk in like this and leave like this

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #17
kwnewton
kwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timekwnewton possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle
Am I the only one who is wondering if the long term plan is to have Target sell Kindles partly so their staffs could also change Kindle batteries on-site? That was my first thought. I love my Kindle 2 but I do miss that slide-off door to the battery compartment on my K1. The thought of sending the K2 off to Amazon to replace the battery once it finally goes does not thrill me.
kwnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #18
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwnewton View Post
Am I the only one who is wondering if the long term plan is to have Target sell Kindles partly so their staffs could also change Kindle batteries on-site? That was my first thought. I love my Kindle 2 but I do miss that slide-off door to the battery compartment on my K1. The thought of sending the K2 off to Amazon to replace the battery once it finally goes does not thrill me.
Hi, kwnewton! I don't remember greeting you before, and if I have, sorry.

I'm not the first by far to post this here, but you can change the K2's battery by yourself! It's far easier than Amazon's design would lead you to believe.

The video shows someone using special tools from a particular company, but I find a set of jeweler's screwdrivers works just as well.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-12-2010 at 05:47 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
If this is true I cant wait
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:11 PM   #20
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I don't know about the date, but I double checked and the Kindle is in fact listed in the system for $259.

I keep checking every few days I'm at work to see if the POG it will be tied to has entered the system, so far I haven't seen anything.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just got the word today, the test is over.

Starting the week of June 6, all Targets will be carrying the kindle.

I'll post more details when the planogram drops into the system, which should be in ~2 weeks. This will tell us what all items will be on the endcap.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good news for Amazon! This should help Kindle sales.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #23
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Just got the word today, the test is over.

Starting the week of June 6, all Targets will be carrying the kindle.

I'll post more details when the planogram drops into the system, which should be in ~2 weeks. This will tell us what all items will be on the endcap.
Turns out the rumors of Amazon ending its contract with Target in August were not true after all.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #24
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Does anyone know if this is in addition to, or replacing, the Sony Readers?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #25
Ajax
Addict

It is in addition to the Sony Readers.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
You're right; it's not fair to compare the two. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when a display is malfunctioning. Employees should at least be trained to remove those display models.

I didn't know Sony had dedicated physical stores. I checked after reading your post, and there are none in my area, but it would make for a more fair comparison.

As to the B&N Stores, the last time I inquired about a Nook in one was just before they were released. I walked up the the counter just under "Nook, the world's most advanced e-reader" banner and asked a couple of questions. The employees were completely in the dark. Things may have changed, but that's how it was late last year.

Not a bad idea, although many people will be reluctant to ask. It could result in fewer sales.

You must not have been in a Barnes and Noble lately, quite the different story now. I have three in my area, and they all now have a Nook Kiosk with sales rep standing by to ask to demo, answer questions etc.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
You must not have been in a Barnes and Noble lately, quite the different story now. I have three in my area, and they all now have a Nook Kiosk with sales rep standing by to ask to demo, answer questions etc.
The one in my area has TWO kiosks-one downstairs at the entry, and one upstairs at the top of the escalators...both with a dedicated rep on hand. This was a weekend, so maybe its not full time, but I was pretty impressed with their presence.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #28
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The one in my area has TWO kiosks-one downstairs at the entry, and one upstairs at the top of the escalators...both with a dedicated rep on hand. This was a weekend, so maybe its not full time, but I was pretty impressed with their presence.
Glad to hear things have changed. I haven't been to B&N in a while.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #29
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Glad to hear things have changed. I haven't been to B&N in a while.
Why???

"Device: Kindle 2, Nook, Sony PRS-600"
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #30
Ajax
Addict

Took a look at what Target's going to have on the endcaps, and here's what I found:

One shelf of Belkin Kindle sleeves, another shelf of assorted cases, and of course the interactive Kindle display.