Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
After Spenser, what?

I've read Parker's Spenser series. Which of his other books or series would you recommend next?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I liked the Jesse Stone Series.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Lee Child books on "Jack Reacher" (don't be turned off the movies, if you have been. the books overall are much better and very enjoyable.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I liked the Jesse Stone Series.
Apache
Sounds good, thanks. I'll check them out.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
Lee Child books on "Jack Reacher" (don't be turned off the movies, if you have been. the books overall are much better and very enjoyable.
Thanks, but looking for more Parker.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
There is also his western series Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.
And he finished Raymond Chandler's eighth Philip Marlowe book Poodle Springs.
And he wrote a sequel to the first Phillip Marlowe book The Big Sleep, Perchance to Dream.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
There is also his western series Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch.
And he finished Raymond Chandler's eighth Philip Marlowe book Poodle Springs.
And he wrote a sequel to the first Phillip Marlowe book The Big Sleep, Perchance to Dream.
Apache
I might be interested in those Marlowes. Probably not the westerns. The list is growing.-)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
I've also read Parker's Spenser series. I didn't care for the Jesse Stone Series. I had doubts about western fiction but the Cole series was enjoyable.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
I've also read Parker's Spenser series. I didn't care for the Jesse Stone Series. I had doubts about western fiction but the Cole series was enjoyable.
Aha! A conflicting clue.

Did you read any of the Spensers published after Parker's death?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Aha! A conflicting clue.

Did you read any of the Spensers published after Parker's death?
No, I haven't. Parker's particular appeal for me was his ruminations on masculinity. I doubt that the follow up authors can successfully pull on that thread. After 40 novels, I've been content to let the series end.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #11
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
No, I haven't. Parker's particular appeal for me was his ruminations on masculinity. I doubt that the follow up authors can successfully pull on that thread. After 40 novels, I've been content to let the series end.
I read the one that was finished by his agent, and it was okay. The ending might have been a little more sentimental, but okay. Then I read one that was written by someone else, and I thought it didn't measure up. Didn't quite get his voice right. Also longer than he'd have written it.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
arjaybe
Guru

Finished the first Jesse Stone novel -- Night Passage -- and found it to be okay. Heavy on the set up, and a bit obvious that it was setting up a series rather than this novel, but okay. I find it interesting that Stone is meeting some of the characters from the Spenser series.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #13
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
There is also the Sunny Randall series (6 in total, starting with Family Honor). Sunny is a Boston P.I. and is pretty much a female Spenser, and they are set in the same universe. I enjoyed them, though nothing can match up to Spenser.

Last edited by orlok; 01-23-2018 at 03:04 PM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #14
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
PS - although I understand you are after Parker stuff, I would give the Jack Reacher books some serious consideration. It's the only post-Parker series that has given me a similar sense of anticipation waiting for the new books to arrive.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #15
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
There is also the Sunny Randall series (6 in total, starting with Family Honor). Sunny is a Boston P.I. and is pretty much a female Spenser, and are set in the same universe. I enjoyed them, though nothing can match up to Spenser.
I've explored Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall. I had fun finding characters from the Spenser books in there.