Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 AM   #1
hashken
hashken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen
Enabling entry of multiple books of same series for Boxed Sets

I have quite a few books which are box sets, i.e they contain multiple books of a series as a single file. When I add such a file to Calibre, is it possible to create a Series entry for that file such that it indicates the presence of multiple books in that entry. Right now, the series column can take the series name and only a single number. Even a workaround using a custom column is welcome
hashken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you have to fudge it by putting in series numbers like 1.05 for an anthology of books 1-5 of a series- ugly but I've not seen any better way suggested.

I have two of L Hamilton's 5 volume sets. for books 6-10 and books 11-15 of her main series,.
So I have them as 106.10 & 111.15 so that they appear outside of the normal sequence

but I could have just used 6.10 and 11.15
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Series can be a pain ,

What you describe as a boxed set, others call 'Omnibus editions': contains only 1) One series. I use the system first . last (always 2 digits)

2) Then there is the (complete) spinoff series: where a character goes on alone
series.spinoff and I don't include the books of the parent in the numbering

3) Then there is the interwoven spinoff where the books intertwine

4) Then there is the 'Boxed Set' or Anthology that contains assorted (series) material that may only have a Common Theme

5) Then the Nightmare: Visiting characters. Where authors allow their characters to play in the neighbors Universe :jump in hole, pull rock over: so these volume belong to BOTH

6) And the one that is becoming more of a pain (because of the age span of the books ). Reused Series NAME. Unrelated Series with the same (downloaded metadata) name. I have 1 with 3 members, a bunch with 2 members: I need to catch these and break the name tie

7) Inconsistent metadata: The Series, Series. Or a Name change for the same series (Yes, Publishers do this to us as well. The 'Books' list in the book does not match the 'Series List' at the Publishers )

Couple in poor device 'bookshelf' support. Items 2 thru 5 pose big difficulties.
Filename limits, Screen Display word count limits...

#1 seems to work on a simple file-folder system (My Astak) and on the K4 using the Plugboard

#2, 3 and 5 might be solved by using a custom series-like column.

#4 (no direct hope). Use EPUBSplit and 'Un-box' the set

#7 'Constant Vigilance' to catch and assign to a unique Name

Read the various threads on what folk have tried and see if any fit YOUR situation-device
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
waht frustrates em is that series disaplys alwasys to 2 decimatl places.
so books 1- 5 get same treatment as books 1-50 in method 1.
& yes I've wanted 1-50 for imported PDFs of truefire guitar lessons stuff - they do 50 blahblahblah licks collections. they sell as video + 50 sepparate PDF pages but I merge them into one book trhen I can use 1.50 sensibly.

but back to omnibus of stories 1-5. that has to go in as 1.05, or my preference of 101.05.

(keeping the 1.5 style for when an author releases a short story that logically occurs between main volumes 1 & 2 - which does happen )
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Best option is using epubsplit. I have been using it for omnibuses and even short stories now if a ss collection has stories falling in different times between books.
As far as spin offs go I usually use hierarchical series that way I can have all the books in one series but divided by sub series. Depending on how the series timelines go I either use the number after . period for the numbering of sub series and the number before the period for the timeline.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
If the boxed set contains the complete series, I enter 'Name of Series [0]'
I didn't find a workaround for incomplete series, but with a boxed set I also always split them up with EpubSplit.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I just enter the number of the first series book in the collection. And then number later.

So if I have collection of 1 - 3, and then 4 and 5 as separate books, they are numbered Series 1, Series 4, Series 5.

This puts them in the proper order in a series sort.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
I didn't find a workaround for incomplete series, but with a boxed set I also always split them up with EpubSplit.
I put those in as 'an Empty Book' (place holder).
I also have a rule color the title purple when formats:false, just for emphasis that the book is not there

The Import List PI makes this easier (force a match for those missing)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
That is what I use for stuff like The Hobbit which is a prequel.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is what I use for stuff like The Hobbit which is a prequel.
you could use a minus number [-1] for prequel's
I use 0 for books that belong to a series/universe but have no reading order
Other in series [0] Uses:
Readers Guide
Index/summary (could be a filtered version of a 'Calibre Catalog') book
Old 11-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is always a reading order, the chronology. Usually series order sets that up.

If there are multiple prequels, that is really the first series and are the first books in the universe order. (Sub)series order doesn't get prequels.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Everyone will have their own incompatible ideas about numbering really...

My personal ideas -- omnibuses are extras, split them into separate books and mark those with series, leave the omnibuses as title="series, Books # - #"
prequel series' and other such beasts are part of one universal meta-series, e.g. Star Wars, Forgotten Realms, Riftworld, Discworld...
Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
My favorite way to deal with omnibus editions is to put the series as "series name Omnibus". It lets me know I have to check the titles in the omnibus when looking for a specific book in a series if I haven't had the chance to split the individual book out of the set.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #14
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
This is an old post but has anything changed in Calibre to enable entry of box sets in series, another work around or a plugin.

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
This is an old post but has anything changed in Calibre to enable entry of box sets in series, another work around or a plugin.

Thanks,

Inukami
No
Any change would be MASSIVE. Clearly not warranted for the tiny quantity of books out there.

Use EPUB Split plugin (requires EPUB format), to break them appart or just use one of the suggested above documenting methods.

Tags
box sets, calibre, series