Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sync between devices?

Amazon states:
"Whispersync technology saves and synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, notes, and highlights across your devices."
Any idea when that'll happen? I'd love to be able to continue reading on my iPhone when I forget to bring the Kindle with me.

Sounds like false advertising if they don't have it yet!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
It already happens. You need to be connected via WiFi or 3G for it to work.

If you know that you'll be swapping device immediately then force it to sync from the menu.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Oops, sorry it does. I was just expecting that the Kindle store books on my Kindle would also show up on my iPhone. I had to manually download them from the archive.

So it only syncs the furthest read, bookmarks, highlights and notes... NOT books, like I assumed it would. I thought it would be a true sync and mirror content also (except sideloaded stuff).
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Oops, sorry it does. I was just expecting that the Kindle store books on my Kindle would also show up on my iPhone. I had to manually download them from the archive.

So it only syncs the furthest read, bookmarks, highlights and notes... NOT books, like I assumed it would. I thought it would be a true sync and mirror content also (except sideloaded stuff).
Yes. It doesn't actually autodownload the books themselves as you may have items in your archive that you don't want to read or have already read and no longer require on your Kindle. An example would be that you have all your technical or research books on your Kindle DX and all your fiction on your Kindle 3. You don't want the other type on each device.

The other reason is that Amazon don't want to have to pay for unnecessary 3G transfer.

Once you've downloaded the books though, the rest of the syncing will happen automatically but only if its items from the Amazon store or have the ASIN number embedded in them.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
It would be crazy if it did autodownload books, considering the space limitations on devices like the iphone.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
So it only syncs the furthest read, bookmarks, highlights and notes... NOT books, like I assumed it would.
Which is funny, because you opened your post by quoting exactly what Amazon says is synchronized.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Once you've downloaded the books though, the rest of the syncing will happen automatically but only if its items from the Amazon store or have the ASIN number embedded in them.
What's the ASIN number?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote