Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: In what guilty pleasure will we indulge in December?
The Chronicles of Clovis by Saki 5 41.67%
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy 6 50.00%
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin 5 41.67%
The Water Rat of Wanchai by Ian Hamilton 3 25.00%
Bedelia by Vera Caspary 2 16.67%
Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell 4 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #16
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Well, unless there is a last day flurry of voting, as there was with the nominations, it looks as if she may cross the line first anyway.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:02 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
And it's The Scarlet Pimpernel by a nose.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #18
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I look forward to this selection. I’ve seen the film versions (a cinematic guilty pleasure,) and the novel should be great fun.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I look forward to this selection. I’ve seen the film versions (a cinematic guilty pleasure,) and the novel should be great fun.
Let's see. I've seen the film with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon, the television movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour, and the mini-series with Richard E. Grant and Elizabeth McGovern (I'm going by memory here and it's possible I got some names wrong). But none of them is a patch on the book.

While I usually strongly prefer ereading, in this case I'll be (rererererere)rereading my girlhood copy. I'd be bereft without the illustrations.

For those with access to Hoopla, I noticed several different audio versions.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #20
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Audible has the inimitable Wanda McCaddon narrating it, and really, I can't imagine anyone who would be better. That will be my first pass at it, for sure.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2018, 02:06 AM   #21
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Let's see. I've seen the film with Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon, the television movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour, and the mini-series with Richard E. Grant and Elizabeth McGovern (I'm going by memory here and it's possible I got some names wrong). But none of them is a patch on the book.

While I usually strongly prefer ereading, in this case I'll be (rererererere)rereading my girlhood copy. I'd be bereft without the illustrations.

For those with access to Hoopla, I noticed several different audio versions.
Spoiler:
I guess it depends on age and what you saw/read first, but Anthony Andrews simply is The Scarlet Pimpernel in my mind ... curiously, I would have had to look up who played Marguerite opposite him.

I look forward to revisiting the book. It's been a very long time.

Last edited by issybird; 11-14-2018 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:43 AM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Spoiler:
I guess it depends on age and what you saw/read first, but Anthony Andrews simply is The Scarlet Pimpernel in my mind ... curiously, I would have had to look up who played Marguerite opposite him.

I look forward to revisiting the book. It's been a very long time.
For me it will always be Leslie Howard and Merle Oberon. On the audio front I’ll give the Librivox dramatic reading a try.

Last edited by issybird; 11-14-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Spoiler tags.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:56 AM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have never seen either of the films, nor the mini series. Obviously I need to get out more! I have found both the films on You Tube and must have a look.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

It may be being overly scrupulous, but I've added spoiler tags to a couple of posts. Some won't have read the book.

In the same spirit, we should probably keep any comments about the films to generalities or wait until the book discussion starts.

Mea culpa.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
[SPOILER]I look forward to revisiting the book. It's been a very long time.
For me too. I was barely more than I child when I last read this, and remember very little of the book. I did watch the Richard E Grant TV series, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Audible has the inimitable Wanda McCaddon narrating it, and really, I can't imagine anyone who would be better. That will be my first pass at it, for sure.
Can't get that version on Audible UK. There's a new version narrated by Julian Rhind-Tutt which sounds okay, so I may go for that.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #26
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
I tried the Librivox dramatic reading but it didn’t work for me as well as I had hoped. That for The Secret Garden was much better. I switched to a solo reading by Karen Savage (Librivox again) and I found it to be very acceptable. Ms Savage reads with enthusiasm and feeling. One does have to put up with each chapter beginning with an announcement that “This is a Librivox recording. . . “ etc. and there is a background hum which is more evident on headphones than speakers. I did listen to B. j. Harrison’s version for the Classic Tales edition which certainly has a better sound but I think that the female voice is much to be preferred as Marguerite is the primary narrator in the book.

I may well try the McCaddon reading If I can get hold of it.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 11-20-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Not only must I read The Scarlet Pimpernel this week, I just got the notice that my borrow of The Pink Carnation has started, so I shall be able to follow right up with it. I've loved The Scarlet Pimpernel since I was young and nothing could make me go back on that, but I do want to read it with an eye toward issues and different perspectives and not just for the high adventure and romance.

Last edited by issybird; 12-09-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, that should keep you busy this week. I'm in the same scenario, compounded by an overload at work again. Fortunately, I've got three weeks to read the library books that have come in. But finding time to read the Pimpernel this week will be challenging.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Well, that should keep you busy this week. I'm in the same scenario, compounded by an overload at work again. Fortunately, I've got three weeks to read the library books that have come in. But finding time to read the Pimpernel this week will be challenging.
Fortunately it is fairly short and a fairly quick read. At least so far. I started Friday afternoon.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #30
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Fortunately it is fairly short and a fairly quick read. At least so far. I started Friday afternoon.
I started on Friday and I'm about half way through, so hopefully should be finished by Tuesday or Wednesday.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote