Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 04:33 AM   #256
graveysteak
graveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheesegraveysteak can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
May I ask which micro SD card you chose? Have you seen significant improvement?

I upgraded my Clara HD with Samsung evo UHS-1 U3 64gb. Its loading speed is still slow. Do I need a factory reset?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
A sandisk extreme UHS-1 U3 32gb card.
I did do a factory reset but I never really noticed a speed improvement.

Benchmarked both the cards with crystal disk mark but I've lost the logs.
From what I remember 4k performace was 2 or 3 times faster.

Was yours slow from factory?? Is the card brand new?? Mine seemed pretty good but I only just flicked through the pages of a book before I put in the new card and started using koreader.
graveysteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #257
Vae
Vae began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
I format the sd of my kobo glo hd

Hello,
I hope you could help me. I had been having problems with my Kobo glo hd, at the beginning this got blocked principally when I highlighted some long paragraphs. In order to solve it I did several factory resets and try some old firmware but after this the Kobo got blocked much more frequently until that it was impossible to use it (at the end when I was reading, got blocked and then said that I should connect to Kobo desktop for setting up, and this happend again and again).
I was thinking that it could be a problem with the battery or the sd and I format the sd because I thought that I could install a new firmware (terrible mistake, because I have not read this post yet). I have some doubts now:
- If I get and image for my 4gb sd´s Kobo I could solved my mistake? Where I could get it?
- Is it possible discard that it is a battery problem without buying a new one?
Thank you for your time.
Vae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #258
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vae View Post
Hello,
I hope you could help me. I had been having problems with my Kobo glo hd, at the beginning this got blocked principally when I highlighted some long paragraphs. In order to solve it I did several factory resets and try some old firmware but after this the Kobo got blocked much more frequently until that it was impossible to use it (at the end when I was reading, got blocked and then said that I should connect to Kobo desktop for setting up, and this happend again and again).
I was thinking that it could be a problem with the battery or the sd and I format the sd because I thought that I could install a new firmware (terrible mistake, because I have not read this post yet). I have some doubts now:
- If I get and image for my 4gb sd´s Kobo I could solved my mistake? Where I could get it?
- Is it possible discard that it is a battery problem without buying a new one?
Sorry, I can't tell from the description what went wrong. I don't know what you mean by "blocked principally when I highlighted some long paragraphs". But, if the SD card was failing, you can get issues such as slow performance when something, such as a highlight, needs to be saved. Replacing the SD card would fix that.

I don't think a failing battery would have this affect. That would simply reduce the runtime and mean you need to charge it more frequently.

I have sent you a PM with the link to the image. It is for the 2GB 4GB card, but you can use it on a larger card and expand the book partition. Any size should work. 16GB will definitely work. There were reports that 32GB worked, but, also reports of problems with it.

You will need to do the setup using the Kobo desktop application, or by manually installing newer firmware. This is because Kobo now requires at least TLS1.2 for connections, but the factory firmware in the image does not support this. If you manually install firmware, it needs to be at least 3.19.x.

Edit:
Sent another PM with the correct image.

Last edited by davidfor; 04-15-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fix answer so it is relevent to the Glo HD, not the Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #259
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I use a Samsung 64GB microSD on my Glo HD. Works pretty well. Some microSD cards have poor random 4K (even Class 10 or UHS).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 PM   #260
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I use a Samsung 64GB microSD on my Glo HD. Works pretty well. Some microSD cards have poor random 4K (even Class 10 or UHS).
I didn't read that post properly and missed that it was a Glo HD instead of a Glo. I have updated the SD card in my Glo HD. I can't remember if it was a 32GB or 64GB. The selection was based on cheapest card available on the day, rather than size.
Advert
Old 05-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #261
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ignore
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #262
dom123dom
Zealot
dom123dom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 WiFi 4Gb 2013 (s/n 9017..)
I'm trying to run this procedure using a Kingston 8GB SD card and an image for the Glo HD I got from Davidfor in the image thread.

The SD card was from a RPi. The writer process failed after a while the first time I tried it, seemed to have created the partions though.

I then tried a second time and that failed as well so i removed all the partitions using minitool and tried again, also failed but crashed out. I formatted the drive using SD formatter to FAT 32 and it now crashes out and disappears every time I try to use the USB Duplicator Writer.

I made an image of the card first using the Image Creator so I tried to restore that...also crashes out and disappears.

Am I doing something silly?

Maybe I need to partition it up first?

EDIT: I used Windows Disk Management to delete the volume and created a single 10MB FAT16 partition, for whatever reason this has resolved the problem and it has written the image successfully.

Last edited by dom123dom; 05-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.
dom123dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #263
vincentlai
vincentlai began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thumbs up

I've replaced the microSD card in my Kobo Glo HD. It works fine. I use SAMSUNG EVO Plus microSDXC UHS-1(U3) Class10 64GB. But I left 512MB for linux swap space as a logical partition.
vincentlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 AM   #264
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentlai View Post
I've replaced the microSD card in my Kobo Glo HD. It works fine. I use SAMSUNG EVO Plus microSDXC UHS-1(U3) Class10 64GB. But I left 512MB for linux swap space as a logical partition.
The OS hasn't been configured to use an swap space. So, that is going to be unused. There is probably a way to change that, and someone with better Linux skills might come along and tell us how to do so (in a separate thread).
Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #265
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
can anyone tell me how much different it might be to do this with a Clara HD, and if there are photos of the process like there are for this thread? tia
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #266
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
can anyone tell me how much different it might be to do this with a Clara HD, and if there are photos of the process like there are for this thread?
There isn't any real difference. The back cover comes off in basically the same way. And creating or writing the image is done in exactly the same way.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #267
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
There isn't any real difference. The back cover comes off in basically the same way. And creating or writing the image is done in exactly the same way.
excellent. thank you so much for taking the time to answer.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #268
so42n8
heartthekobo
so42n8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Gergith, thank you for posting these instructions. I've recently found myself in a jam after inadvertently accepting the option to download an update to my Kobo Mini and spent the weekend trying to undo the damage. I have 2 devices in total and luckily only downloaded the glitchy software unto one miniSD card but the other still works in either Kobo Mini.

I tried following your instructions, I believe I successfully cloned the working SD card using Flash Drive Image Writer but I get stuck trying to follow your instructions at step 3. My laptop runs on Windows not Linux so maybe that's the issue.

Your instructions in step 3 say to:

"To verify you have the right drive, it should be set up as follows, or something close: (Unallocated) 10MB, rootfs(EXT4) 256 MB..., recoveryfs(EXT4) 256MB.., KOBOeReader (FAT32) 1.33 GB.., (Unallocated) [however big the rest of your sd card is. 5.9GB for the 8GB card in the pictures]."

but I don't see anything like that. Instead, I see 29.7GB unallocated but not any of the other text you mention.

Next, your instructions state to right click the Kobo e-Reader drive and select Extend but I don't see that option anywhere.

Totally understand you posted these instructions back in 2013 so maybe something has changed in the software... can you help?

Thank you in advance. Olga
so42n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #269
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It might be that you are not looking at the right drive (SD card), or that you are not using the partition program.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #270
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Nothing substantial has changed since these instructions were written. The only thing I can think of is that the links to the tools mentioned no longer work, but, the site still has them. Though there are alternatives to some steps.

Your problem, hopefully, is a Windows problem. Windows does not handle removable media with multiple partitions very well. And when running the partitioning tool, you need to make sure it is run as an administrator. From memory, the last time I tried this, I pretty much saw what you are seeing. I used Drive Managment to check the partitions were there. Then I installed the card, made sure everything was working and then used one of the options in Magic Memory Upgrade Mod to expand the books partition.

Does anything happen when you turn the device on? There should be a power light and it should flash. Make sure you charge the battery. No matter what state it was in before, you should assume it has been discharged.

As you have two Mini's, have you tried booting the other from the new card? Or the non-working one from the other's card?

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard