Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Bluestar59
Bluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBluestar59 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
Cultural Resistance Hobbles German E-Book Market

Looks like Barnes and Noble may have a long uphill battle selling it's Nook reader in Germany...
"Compared to the booming e-book market in the US, Germany's digital book sales are dismal. A set of cultural and economic factors mean that even in a country known for its bibliophilia, the technology will take a long time to catch on."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...826963,00.html
Bluestar59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Cultural or political? From what I read, part of the problem could be that not only are book prices fixed by law, but eBooks would cost more than pBooks due to taxes.

I also find it kinda funny that scant years after eBooks sales began to accelerate anywhere on planet earth at all, this or that country is seen to "resist" eBooks. I'll bet German eBook sales aren't long in climbing up to threaten pBooks there (assuming, of course, no further political protectionism).
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHex View Post
Cultural or political? From what I read, part of the problem could be that not only are book prices fixed by law, but eBooks would cost more than pBooks due to taxes.

I also find it kinda funny that scant years after eBooks sales began to accelerate anywhere on planet earth at all, this or that country is seen to "resist" eBooks. I'll bet German eBook sales aren't long in climbing up to threaten pBooks there (assuming, of course, no further political protectionism).
The Europeans seem to be slow because they have cradle to grave laws that protect all their precious culture and these laws aren't meant to change readily. Where else do you have to get names for children approved unless you use those from a standard list?

They are figuring it out though and should be mostly lined up with the new publishing methods within the next 2 or 3 years, and certainly 5. They really don't like it when you point out that they are backwards.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
The Europeans seem to be slow because they have cradle to grave laws that protect all their precious culture and these laws aren't meant to change readily. Where else do you have to get names for children approved unless you use those from a standard list?

They are figuring it out though and should be mostly lined up with the new publishing methods within the next 2 or 3 years, and certainly 5. They really don't like it when you point out that they are backwards.
Oh boy, I'm going to enjoy this one. Just out of interest where is it that the choice of children's names is restricted?

P.S. Anyone flying a SeaKing should be careful about how they toss around accusations of backwardness!
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by plib View Post
Oh boy, I'm going to enjoy this one. Just out of interest where is it that the choice of children's names is restricted?

P.S. Anyone flying a SeaKing should be careful about how they toss around accusations of backwardness!
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/0...aws/index.html

The kids might approve:
http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/57365550.html

Tribalism isn't backwardness; it is inherent in the genome.
Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't think it is the *only* way to do things.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-16-2012 at 09:23 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

In Germany, there are restrictions - but not as strict as a "standard list".

What's required:

At least one of the names has to be gender specific (but that's not a law, just a departmenal note, if that's the correct term). For example if you name your child Alex which works for both genders, you have to choose a second name like Michael or Angela.

What you are not allowed to do: Name your child in a derogative way. So calling your child "Lil Slutty May" will not work in Germany. You may not name your child Poopy either... and "Miller Lite" or "Sage Moonblood" would not be allowed... (Though there's a "San Diego", which is bad enough...)

And some names are forbidden, like Satan or Lucifer.

But more and more names are allowed after parents went to court - which is often bad for the child (what kind of name is "Windsbraut" - meaning "Wind's bride"... or Emilie-Extra? Does their Emilie have an extra?). Poor kids, really...

Last edited by Jaden; 04-17-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:

I believe that France restricts names too. I didn't know about Germany.

Also the Jewish faith has restrictions on the name itself and on whether it is a family name that is being used. I believe they like to keep all the family names in use. Now a good questions is whether Israel has laws about it. They have laws about many other things, so I would suspect they have laws about Naming.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to the various responders. I wasn't previously aware of either the existence, or the extent, of name qualifications. Still mulling whether it's a good or bad idea.

The point about SeaKings still stands though.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I lived in Denmark for some years (My wife's Danish)
I wanted to give our kids a name that wasn't on their "list", yes Denmark does have an official list of names you're allowed to choose (as of about 12 years ago anyway).
I told them I wasn't Danish and we weren't intending to stay in Denmark forever anyway so I should be able to name my kids whatever I want (within sensible limits, calling a kid "Satan" or whatever would be ridiculous).

But I contested it and got a lawyer involved. I had all my correspondence with the civil service all recorded in letters. My Lawyer then requested all documentation they had about my case.
Once they knew I got a lawyer involved, they approved whatever name I liked.

So these European countries can make whatever laws they want, but in regards to this naming limitation, it doesn't stand up to legal challenges if you can be bothered to make the effort.

Last edited by danskmacabre; 04-17-2012 at 06:05 AM.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not only European countries. In New Zealand, too, courts get involved if a child is given an "inappropriate" name.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Even in the United States, courts sometimes get involved. A few years ago a couple wanted to name their child Adolph Hitler (first and middle names). The state child services department took them to court and the court ordered the name changed. Granted this happens rearely in the United States, but I suspect that certain names are forbidden almost everywhere.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Even in the United States, courts sometimes get involved. A few years ago a couple wanted to name their child Adolph Hitler (first and middle names). The state child services department took them to court and the court ordered the name changed. Granted this happens rearely in the United States, but I suspect that certain names are forbidden almost everywhere.
I read this article a while back. I think they lost custody of the child as well.
I expect there was more to it than just the name change tho.. What sort of parent would give their kid a name like that!
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I read this article a while back. I think they lost custody of the child as well.
I expect there was more to it than just the name change tho.. What sort of parent would give their kid a name like that!
They had 4 children with varying nazi related names: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-son-Hons.html

All 4 were taken from them.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
By the same token, however, they don't have the nasty culture and subculture clashes that we have over here. Not giving examples, because if you do live here then I'm sure you can think of some.

Last edited by teh603; 04-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
The Europeans seem to be slow because they have cradle to grave laws ...... Where else do you have to get names for children approved unless you use those from a standard list?
Says the guy from the country where they have speed limits on the motorways and where you have to be 21 to buy a can of beer...
See, it's simple to make some silly statements using the broad brush.

As to ebooks: German publishers and retailers were happy with the way the market worked and saw ebooks as a danger for their profit margins. Therefore they were lukewarm about ebooks and wasted precious time that could have been used to entrench themselves in that market before Amazon opened its German ebook store.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote