Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #31
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Penny_Dreadful: Yes indeed, it will be a download on opt-in type of thing. That has the advantage of avoiding antivirus issues for people that dont opt-in as well.
I agree that it clearly needs to be opt in.

The harder you make it for people to just turn it on the less likely people are actually going to contribute through this method.

It's essential that it is as easy as clicking 1 button.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the user flow from the start of download to allowing the miner.
samcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #32
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny_Dreadful View Post
I'd really prefer this as a plug-in if it does happen, as I don't really want a crypto miner on my computer opt-in or not, it's not that I don't trust you Kovid I just don't want any thing to do with cryptocurrency. I'm a supporter on Patreon instead.
Quote:
@Penny_Dreadful: Yes indeed, it will be a download on opt-in type of thing. That has the advantage of avoiding antivirus issues for people that dont opt-in as well.
This takes care of my objections.

I would say advertise it on the update popup so people will know about it, way to many do not read the what's new page.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #33
samcohen
Connoisseur
samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.samcohen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
This takes care of my objections.

I would say advertise it on the update popup so people will know about it, way to many do not read the what's new page.

bernie
I really like this idea Bernie. Thanks! That seems like the ideal location for it.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #34
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Please make the opt-in visible prior to install. eg: NOT like how the Norton, McAfee, or Vast does the sneaky "opt-in" or even Google Chrome.

I have to select 'customize' or advance to check whether there are stuff already selected as 'opt-in' in the the plain/simple non-customize install selection for apps.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:22 PM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcohen View Post
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the user flow from the start of download to allowing the miner.
Someone decides to click the heart to support calibre, they are presented with two options, donate money or computer resources. If they choose computer resources, they are presented with a short paragraph explaining what that means and OK or Cancel buttons. The rest will happen automatically, the miner will be downloaded and run in the background while calibre is open.

And this is still assuming I decide to go for this, I have not made up my mind yet.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2020, 02:05 PM   #36
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
A lot to respond to here!

You see dystopian I see utopian.

back in 1999, when I was young and arrogant enough to simply "know" that the future was going to be digital money.. I was all-in on the dot COM boom [ and working in digital banking & therefore on the "inside track" ]

thus I was "smart enough" to see that digital certificate technology was going to be at the heart of it, so companies like Baltimore Technologies had shares that were going to the moon..

thus I was one of those still holding at £13.75...... and wasn't it a long way down...
The Irish computer security company had a share price as high as £13.75 in 2000. Yesterday, [ 2003] an analyst said he expected shareholders would get as little as 37p a share if the company is put into voluntary liquidation.
The shares fell .75 to 35p yesterday, and the company is valued at around £19m.

enjoy your bitcoin optimism- while it lasts

Last edited by stumped; 07-30-2020 at 02:07 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yeah this is rather annoying, as it is calibre gets regularly flagged as malware by antivirus and I get to deal with the consequent breakage. However, the extent of the issue is hard to know without trying it.
Any anti-virus that flags Calibre as as malware should be deleted and never used again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:34 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if I was to opt-in, go ahead and download. If I opt-out, I want the files and data associated with this to be removed. If I was to find out that I've lost disk space because opted in, I would never opt-in again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #39
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
OK , I'll bite.
explain how, when if/your dystopia of choice comes to pass, the world will still have a functioning internet, endless electricity for the bit mines, and enough rare metals to keep making the devices we use to trade and shop on ( and the batteries they run on)
Indeed all true. Also Blockchain itself, apart from the total evil of bitcoin mining helping to destroy the planet, is ABSOLUTELY NOT SCALEABLE. It doesn't even work on a theoretical basis. It's only a niche and the transaction time is terrible. It gets worse FASTER than users doing transactions are added.

Compare CPU and electricity costs per transaction for IBAN (totally secure and independent), PayPal, random credit card and ANY Cryptocurrency. The cryptocurrency essentially is only working at all because compared with the other three almost no-one is using it. Most of those are speculators or criminals.

Last edited by Quoth; 07-30-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 02:26 AM   #40
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Indeed all true. Also Blockchain itself, apart from the total evil of bitcoin mining helping to destroy the planet, is ABSOLUTELY NOT SCALEABLE. It doesn't even work on a theoretical basis. It's only a niche and the transaction time is terrible. It gets worse FASTER than users doing transactions are added.

Compare CPU and electricity costs per transaction for IBAN (totally secure and independent), PayPal, random credit card and ANY Cryptocurrency. The cryptocurrency essentially is only working at all because compared with the other three almost no-one is using it. Most of those are speculators or criminals.
i was curious enough to go look at what happened to the digital certificates of ~1999 plans. Even my own laggard bank sank millions into an interbank consortium that was going to bring about the great new digital money thing, but it just crashed and burned. as did Mondex ( a midland bank- Nat west bank anonymous digital money trial
this one: Friday 30 October 1998 | 00:00 CET | News
Barclays Bank has joined eight other banks, including Citibank and Deutsche Bank, and CertCo, security vendor, in a consortium which will issue digital certificates for secure online trading in order to encourage business-to-business E-commerce. The consortium will use software from CertCo Software (US), vendor, based on the Public Key Infrastructure technology. The scheme will be managed by a profit-making group which has not yet been set up. The group will install infrastructure in late-1998 and launch a trial service in early-1999.

it was going to replace SWIFT but it never did. had it worked, banks would, a have sold and managed digital IDs for companies to use for e-commerce as per this article.https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/marke...gital-identity

and in ~2018 Fran Rooney, the ex CEO of Baltimore Technologies tried to establish irelands first cryptocurrency - Mongo- which is now on the dead coins list
Old 07-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #41
samcohen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

https://cointelegraph.com/news/study...newable-energy

Also look up the lightning network if you want to learn more about scalability on top of bitcoin. It's instantaneous.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #42
samcohen
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i was curious enough to go look at what happened to the digital certificates of ~1999 plans. Even my own laggard bank sank millions into an interbank consortium that was going to bring about the great new digital money thing, but it just crashed and burned. as did Mondex ( a midland bank- Nat west bank anonymous digital money trial
this one: Friday 30 October 1998 | 00:00 CET | News
Barclays Bank has joined eight other banks, including Citibank and Deutsche Bank, and CertCo, security vendor, in a consortium which will issue digital certificates for secure online trading in order to encourage business-to-business E-commerce. The consortium will use software from CertCo Software (US), vendor, based on the Public Key Infrastructure technology. The scheme will be managed by a profit-making group which has not yet been set up. The group will install infrastructure in late-1998 and launch a trial service in early-1999.

it was going to replace SWIFT but it never did. had it worked, banks would, a have sold and managed digital IDs for companies to use for e-commerce as per this article.https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/marke...gital-identity

and in ~2018 Fran Rooney, the ex CEO of Baltimore Technologies tried to establish irelands first cryptocurrency - Mongo- which is now on the dead coins list

Bitcoin doesn't need your bank to have success. I'm sorry to hear that one of your investments didn't work out but it's also not a good reason to dislike bitcoin.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #43
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
https://cointelegraph.com/news/study...newable-energy

Also look up the lightning network if you want to learn more about scalability on top of bitcoin. It's instantaneous.
It's nonsense.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:40 AM   #44
stumped
Wizard

let me throw another argument into the mix:

compare these 3 ways to donate:

1> i give Kovid $1 via any of the current mechanisms such as paypal. takes a few seconds. costs me nothing but Kovid actually gets about 93 cents after intermediaries have gouged out their commission

2> I give Kovid the bitcoin equivalent of $1. That coin exchange is now permanently recorded all over the system as an added record to be written into everyone's blockchain. What a waste of resources. Info is valuless very quickly so why keep it forever. The pro of this route is that I give $1 from my wallet, he gets $1 in his wallet , minus some usually very tiny transaction fees scraped off. it takes me a LOT longer, especially if I have 2 factor authentication on my bitcoin wallet.

3> i give Kovid that $1 somehow , eventually, like this: by installing some software that eventually generates $1 worth of crypto mining output which is gathered up and sold by some 3rd party who then gives the proceeds to Kovid
What a kerfuffle compared with option #1. the cost to me in electricity billing for providing the computing power to generate the $1 gift is unknown. i suspect its the least efficient option.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #45
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Moderator Notice
This is not the place to debate the merits/evils of bitcoin mining in general. Kovid has made it clear that it will be opt-in only, and that no mining software will be installed on a user's machine until such time as they explicitly opt-in to that donation method.

Everyone can do their own research, and make up their own minds about the (de)merits of bitcoin mining in general.

So let's please return to indicating whether or not you would be willing to donate to calibre via the opt-in (and add-on) method Kovid indicated it would be.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote