Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lightbulb Free (nook/Kindle/Kobo/iTunes) The New Colombia [Global Current Affairs & Business]

The New Colombia: Peace and prosperity in sight: the country comes of age is an e-book version of a special edition of the Financial Times magazine, free courtesy of FT Publishing International, who in their related FT Press imprint used to give us rather nice business/science freebies every week like clockwork, which I kind of miss.

This is a pretty nice overview of the country not just in terms of economic issues and business opportunities, but also related socio-cultural current events issues, and contains profiles of prominent Colombian individuals (including an activist and a journalist), and strikes me as a good introduction to the country for people who aren't familiar with the region and would like to get to know more than just the typical sort of country profile data.

It's also the first e-book I've seen which contains actual ads (apparently transplanted from the print edition).

Currently free on a permanent basis @ B&N (also in the UK; there's another edition at this EAN, but it seems to be older and smaller in filesize), Amazon (available to Canadians and in the UK), Kobo & iTunes (both available to Canadians).

Description
Colombia is usually associated with drug cartels, guerrilla wars and violence. But the biggest Spanish-speaking country after Mexico is changing. The economy is already larger, by some measures, than South Africa’s; if peace talks are successful, it will do better still. This free ebook is an indispensable guide to the new Colombia, reproducing a magazine published earlier this year by the Financial Times.

FT writers interview President Juan Manuel Santos and profile both the Bogota establishment and young Colombians to watch. They explore the development challenges of the Colombian outback and the rise of a new national export - security expertise ranging from bullet proof fashion to mercenaries. Essays by Oscar Naranjo, former head of the national police, and Malcolm Deas, historian, provide further context.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
[B]The New Colombia: Peace and prosperity in sight . . . .
Something some of you might find funny . . . .

When I saw the title of your post, I thought that the publication of this book must mean that the most recent push for statehood for the District of Columbia (where Washington, D.C. is located) must be far stronger than I could have imagined. I just read an article this afternoon that said that those pushing for statehood right now want to call the new state "New Columbia."

For some reason, the subject/tagging information that you put--"Global Current Affairs & Business--didn't dissuade me immediately from my erroneous thinking. ha

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-23-2014 at 09:14 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Living in British Columbia, I can see how there could end up being some confusion with all these places named "[OPTIONAL ADJECTIVE AND/OR NOUN + PARTITIVE GENITIVE] Col[o/u]mbia".

Maybe the statehood advocates should change it to "New Washington" for bonus recognizability, instead? It's not like there isn't precedent* with the assorted Dakotas and Carolinas, and there doesn't seem to be anything else in the District†. And they might even benefit from extra confused tourist bookings who were expecting to vacation in temperate rainforest biome.

* Not to mention, New Mexico, and New York City, New York.

† At least, according to the Wikipedia redirect which takes me straight to Washington, D.C. when I try to see if the D.C. portion exists as a separate entity.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
business, colombia, permafreebie, politics