Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
dotmbrooks
dotmbrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Calibre won't open after update

I tried to install the latest update, but then Calibre would not open. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times over the past 2 days, but I keep getting this error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 292, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 232, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 250, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\layout.py", line 330, in init_main_window_mixin
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\fetch_news.py", line 32, in init_scheduler
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\scheduler.py", line 587, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\recipes\model.py", line 148, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\recipes\collection.py", line 103, in get_builtin_recipe_collection
File "src/lxml/lxml.etree.pyx", line 3442, in lxml.etree.parse (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:81716)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1811, in lxml.etree._parseDocument (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:118635)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1837, in lxml.etree._parseDocumentFromURL (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:118982)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1741, in lxml.etree._parseDocFromFile (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:117894)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1138, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDocFromFile (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:112440)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 595, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:105896)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 706, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:107604)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 646, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:106750)
XMLSyntaxError: None (builtin_recipes.xml, line 0)
dotmbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is caused by the third party iOS Reader plugin. You can fix it by following the steps:

1. Uninstall the iOS reader plugin by opening a command prompt and typing the following in and then pressing Enter:

calibre-customize.exe --remove-plugin "iOS reader applications"

2. Then do the same for the Marvin XD plugin:

calibre-customize.exe --remove-plugin "Marvin XD"

In the next calibre release, this plugin will be blacklisted so calibre
does not load it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is caused by the third party iOS Reader plugin. You can fix it by following the steps:

1. Uninstall the iOS reader plugin by opening a command prompt and typing the following in and then pressing Enter:

does not load it.
I did this by simply going into the Calibre configuration folder, navigating to the plugins folder, and removing the ZIP files for the offending plugins. Is there a problem with doing it that way (it seems to have worked fine).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Prissy72
Prissy72 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I did this by simply going into the Calibre configuration folder, navigating to the plugins folder, and removing the ZIP files for the offending plugins. Is there a problem with doing it that way (it seems to have worked fine).
I have the same error and cannot open my Calibre at all. I am not too computer savvy, but I believe I followed the instructions to the letter. Can you walk me thru this? I was trying to link Calibre with Marvin on my Ipad Pro and completely screwed up. I really need help getting back into my calibre. I always used Nook and it was so simple to put books on that device. Ipad wants you to go thru itunes and it is just so time consuming and aggravating.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Prissy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
Prissy72
Prissy72 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

does not load it.
I have the same error message. Did what you said and still can not open Calibre. Also uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times

Last edited by issybird; 06-24-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
Prissy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
No, that's fine.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
dotmbrooks
dotmbrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
That worked, thank you!!!! but now to use my Ipad, will I have to re-add the plug in, and will it cause another error?
dotmbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotmbrooks View Post
That worked, thank you!!!! but now to use my Ipad, will I have to re-add the plug in, and will it cause another error?
No. There is no current plugins that will work over USB with iOS devices running any recent versions of iOS.

To transfer books between Calibre and any recent iOS devices you either need to run something that interacts with the Calibre Contents server (or an equivalent) or use WiFi transfer using the Calibre Companion app on the iOS device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
sandysot
sandysot began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre not opening 3.1.1.
A.Tried reinstalling - got same result.
B.Tried 3.1.0 but this required deleting Calibre first.
C.Tried Command prompt 1st part several times. It always returns message "no such file as "ios reader applications",
D. Tried Command prompt part 2nd - worked o.k. and deleted "Marvin XD plugin"
What can I do to save my library books?
Santo
sandysot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
sandysot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysot View Post
Calibre not opening 3.1.1.
A.Tried reinstalling - got same result.
B.Tried 3.1.0 but this required deleting Calibre first.
C.Tried Command prompt 1st part several times. It always returns message "no such file as "ios reader applications",
D. Tried Command prompt part 2nd - worked o.k. and deleted "Marvin XD plugin"
What can I do to save my library books?
Santo
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 292, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 232, in start_gui
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 250, in initialize
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\layout.py", line 330, in init_main_window_mixin
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\fetch_news.py", line 32, in init_scheduler
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\scheduler.py", line 587, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\recipes\model.py", line 148, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\web\feeds\recipes\collection.py", line 103, in get_builtin_recipe_collection
File "src/lxml/lxml.etree.pyx", line 3442, in lxml.etree.parse (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:81716)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1811, in lxml.etree._parseDocument (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:118635)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1837, in lxml.etree._parseDocumentFromURL (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:118982)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1741, in lxml.etree._parseDocFromFile (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:117894)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 1138, in lxml.etree._BaseParser._parseDocFromFile (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:112440)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 595, in lxml.etree._ParserContext._handleParseResultDoc (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:105896)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 706, in lxml.etree._handleParseResult (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:107604)
File "src/lxml/parser.pxi", line 646, in lxml.etree._raiseParseError (src\lxml\lxml.etree.c:106750)
XMLSyntaxError: None (builtin_recipes.xml, line 0)
Old 06-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
sandysot

Tried "restore" for my Win 7 laptop with no better result
Old 06-25-2017, 10:56 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@sandysot, you are apparently not entering the command correctly, since if you do and the plugin is not installed, you dont get an error message saying "no such file as "ios reader applications" you get one saying

No custom plugin named iOS reader applications

In any case, simply uninstall calibre 3.1 and install 3.0 instead or wait for Friday when calibre 3.2 is released with those plugins blacklisted.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #13
sandysot

Kovid,

Thanks for the quick reply.As always, you are on top of any Calibre issue.I was able to use one of my "Registry cleaner programs to delete references to calibre which were preventing me from installing 3.0.
When I installed I was pleased that my library and all my plugins and mods were still there.
Thanks again.
Sandy

Last edited by sandysot; 06-27-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
sandysot

iTunes not loading in calibre 3.33.1

I've been using a Sony with Win 7 64 bit to access my ebooks thru Calibre via usb to my Iphone. Regularly pdated Calibre versions till about 2 years ago after solving a similiar problem- but now after two years using an old Calibre version (ver. unk.) I just updated to version 3.33.1 and the iTunes interface is gone.

I had been avoiding updating to prevent a repeat of this issue.

Now what do I do. I dont have a windows cell phone.Where do I go from here?
Is my multi year support and association with Calibre at an end?

Thanks for all the great work Kovid.
Sandysot
Old 11-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysot View Post
I've been using a Sony with Win 7 64 bit to access my ebooks thru Calibre via usb to my Iphone. Regularly pdated Calibre versions till about 2 years ago after solving a similiar problem- but now after two years using an old Calibre version (ver. unk.) I just updated to version 3.33.1 and the iTunes interface is gone.

I had been avoiding updating to prevent a repeat of this issue.

Now what do I do. I dont have a windows cell phone.Where do I go from here?
Is my multi year support and association with Calibre at an end?

Thanks for all the great work Kovid.
Sandysot
Unfortunately:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
[GUI Plugin] Marvin XD

This plugin is DEAD due to changes by Apple. This thread should be kept for historical reference.

This plugin is NOT compatible with iOS >= 8.3. Nothing can be done about it till Marvin itself is adapted to the changes by Apple.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote