Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you normally charge your Reader?
Usually via USB 20 32.26%
Usually with the mains adapter 28 45.16%
Sometimes with one, sometimes the other 14 22.58%
Never mind this poll stuff, just show me the votes! 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How do you charge your Reader?

Since the question has arisen on a different thread, how many people charge their Reader via USB and how many via the main adapter?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I charge mine on the wall outlet.....even though I don't own one, you forgot to list the Cradle in there.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry - I completely forgot about that! Is that connected to the mains adapter? If so, I guess it counts as mains adapter charging?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
I charge mine with the wall charger.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I need another brick that plugs into the wall like I need another hole in my head. (Hmmm, nice breeze.)

USB.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use the wall adapter via the cradle. The cradle probably also charges via USB - if the A/C cord is not plugged into it.

Also, I haven't had any problems with charging or the battery indicator after the upgrade (as far as I know).
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
I charge mine with the wall charger.
I didn't realize the cradle also charged off the wall. Either way, I don't have the cradle and just use the plain old charger that came with the unit. Guess this needed clarification.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
candybeans
candybeans began at the beginning.

I have too many electronic devices already and not enough available electrical outlets. I always charge my reader via usb. Haven't even taken the wall charger out of the box.
candybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Always use the wall plug for recharging, only use USB to buy or delete books, and then unplug it. At least the charger has a nice looooong cord, so can plug her in and read in a book some distance away.

Interesting thing about the charge indicator. After the upgrade, it only went about 1200 page-turns before it dropped one bar. I just kept going, and now it is down to just two bars, and it has stayed there so far about another 800 page-turns. I am going to wait until it gets down to one bar before recharging, but at this rate, it may never reach that.

It never stayed that way so long before. I have not done a soft reset yet, but will wait to see what happens before doing so.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There seems to be pretty conclusive evidence that the firmware update messes up the battery meter, Geoff; a soft reset fixes it.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I charge mostly through the wall (via the cradle), but I don't keep the cradle connected to the computer -- I use the regular USB cord for xfering files. The Cradle sits on my nightstand (where, unlike the computer desk, there is enough space -- and electrical connections -- for it), right next to my Pilot cradle (I do hotsyncs through the wall via bluetooth, but it also charges from the wall). That way I can stick the Reader on the cradle as my final "not quite asleep" action, and it's charged in the morning. 'Course I only charge it every 2~3 weeks or so.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
I generally just put it to rest when I'm done reading in the cradle.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Can anyone tell me if the charger is 110V or 110-220V? Also, is it two-pronged or three-pronged?
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's an internationally rated mini-brick, with a figure 8 connector for the plug that goes to the wall, which means that all you really need to do is to swap out that section for one that fits your outlets.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I usually use the adapter and keep it next to the bed so I'm not left stranded when the power drains to nill. Don't want to keep it plugged in too often, as I want to maximize battery life. While I know Li-Ion aren't supposed to have the memory-effect, I'm not sure I believe it just yet. Course I just read on Wikipedia that maybe my past problem is just simply the age of the battery and not leaving it plugged in too often (as was the case w/ my laptop's battery).

How often do people here recharge their Readers; e.g., daily, weekly, when the power goes, etc.?
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote