Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Cool Introducing the new Sony-Reader-speed ipdf

How would you like your iLiad if it could flip pages as fast as the new Sony Reader?

You can have it today if you're still on 2.7. I'll email iRex tonight and see how fast they can push out a new ipdf for everyone else.

Yeah I know, I was supposed to develop a new idjvu, but the bottle neck called to the X developer in me...

Brick factor: zero. Hey it's iRex source using iRex's tool chain!

To install:
Code:
root@ereader:/# cd /usr/bin
root@ereader:/usr/bin# mv xpdf xpdf.orig
root@ereader:/usr/bin# cp /mnt/card/ipdf xpdf
Enjoy the speed, I suggest goggles...

And yes, this should be a wake up call for Sony and their attitudes towards their user community as well.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ipdf.tar.gz (19.9 KB, 447 views)
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
And yes, this should be a wake up call for Sony and their attitudes towards their user community as well.
Are you referring to the fact that iRex finally released (most of) their Source?

Or are you calling for Sony to block access as quickly as iRex has been doing?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

They released more source?

Anyways, you may find the text to be a bit sharper now too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	text.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	2002  
Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
What did you change?

/* cries for having updated to 2.7.1 before it was safe */
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned

Cheer up, if you're on the beta you may see it real soon.

I'm shipping the source off to iRex for their consideration. I'll post it tonight in Alex's new upload area.
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Wow! Congratulations Scotty! The text sharpness is great! I really do hope that iRex will implement your code ASAP.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned

OK rev 2 available now.

This version reduces startup time and reduces memory foot print.
Attached Files
File Type: gz ipdf.tar.gz (19.5 KB, 427 views)
Old 10-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And to think where we (okay, y'all) would be if the ... folks at iRex had just decided to play well with others back in June....

For your next trick, scotty1024, howsabout you solve that little power management thing they've had so much trouble with?

They ought to pay you. No really, they should.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
How would you like your iLiad if it could flip pages as fast as the new Sony Reader?
Ehrm, thanks for making this!! Since I'm a programmer myself and since I had a look around in ipdf this evening I wonder what you changed...

Also, I simply installed it and opened a pdf, the text was skewed. The left-margin starts at the top-left corner and end at the bottom-right. Probably a small bug...

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Scotty...you are amazing!!!

I can't try this because I'm on 2.7.1, but since I'm a beta-tester...maybr I'll get to see it soon. Really great stuff!!!

I think we should really conisder starting some kind of paypal donation thing for our developers here on the Forums. I doubt iRex is going to be paying you and others, so maybe that would be an option?

btw....can somebody post a short vid of this beast in action?

Maybe tackling that power-issue would be a worthy goal for you scotty...:-)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

@Natch

Well faster rendering and faster drawing (I made both faster) means less CPU cycles per page. Fewer CPU cycles per page generally means more electrons left in the Lithium Ion battery for later. So I've helped things a bit with this new code.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Mike Kostousov
Connoisseur
Mike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-booksMike Kostousov has learned how to read e-books

Device: Zaurus C1000/iLiad/SE K750i
Hmm... Something is going wrong. I think - bytes_per_line in XImage rendering a bit less, that we realy need. I get such shifting on several pdfs... Including iRex release notes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shift.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	2004  
Mike Kostousov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kostousov
Hmm... Something is going wrong. I think - bytes_per_line in XImage rendering a bit less, that we realy need. I get such shifting on several pdfs... Including iRex release notes
Yup, same problem I had.... (darn it, must buy new digi camera )
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned

I saw it on the way home, its only with scanned PDF documents. And I've got an idea of what it is after playing with about 30 documents.

Let me finish dinner and I'll push out rev 3.

The bottle neck was very simple. iRex had setup Splash to render 24 bits per pixel and then they were using a cubic color space reduction on the rendered raster to convert it for X.

I changed the code to render 8 bits per pixel static grey scale (which speeds up rendering) and just hand that bitmap off to X which can easily convert it to 16 level grey scale (speeding up drawing by removing the cubic color space reduction.) I was also able to reduce foot print and speed startup by removing all the color space stuff the cubic reduction required.

I believe the current issue is a padding problem that I can easily solve. And reminds me I need to test more than just my own text based PDF's.

By the way, has anyone noticed how beautiful the PDF's are now? I mean the text ones of course.

Try one of the documents from manybooks. Stunning, I can't believe I didn't notice how hazy they were before. That was the cubic color space reduction spreading the color error around mushing up the edges as it did that.

I also tried a couple magazines (which are scanned but do work, giving me the clue as to my problem) and they are noticeably sharper as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
Maybe tackling that power-issue would be a worthy goal for you scotty...:-)
All I can say at this point is that I got an email this morning. Too early to say yet but it seems promising...