Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #46
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Choice is always a great thing. Telling people who have epub files that they need to convert them to a different format isn't exactly userfriendly, and will therefore not help widen the userbase. We need more userfriendly devices.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #47
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I DO care about ePUB and PDB (not about DRM, I'm not likely to buy any DRMed ebook any time soon), but I also want folder support, and better dictionary lookup, and configurable margins and spacing, and adjustable gamma/brightness[*], etc.

[*] For images. Even if the 4 gray levels are always the same absolute levels, the mapping between the image colours and the screen grays could be changed.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #48
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonescorcio View Post
A few months ago I would ask you if I could join the club. Today, I still read mostly DRM mobi BUT I am not so sure anymore about the future of the format: Amazon does not seem very interested in it, and Epub could very well being the format of the future. And that could be a good thing, since it's an open one.

Being able to choose is also good anyway.

But I do agree that folder support is a must. And I am getting sick of waiting for it.
I'm really not concerned that much about the future of mobi since I can (and do) strip out the DRM from mobi books just as soon as I purchase them, and since I know I can always purchase LIT books, strip the DRM from them and convert them to mobi format (Thank you MobileRead for those tools). Even if mobipocket formatted books disappear completely, I'll still be able to read my books on my Cybook.

Choice and flexiblity are always good things, so I'm all for Bookeen's continued support and enhancement of my Cybook. But I fear that Bookeen has gotten distracted by some of these more lofty goals and lost sight of some of the basic functionality that we have been waiting and waiting and are still waiting on.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
just strip the DRM from the ePub and use Calibre to convert to Mobipocket. Case closed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
just strip the DRM from the ePub and use Calibre to convert to Mobipocket. Case closed.
Unfortunately, Mobipocket is not equivalent to ePub. The formatting in an ePub book can be much more elaborate than in a Mobipocket one, and most of that can be lost in conversion. It's usually fine if you just want to read the text, but you can use .txt for that, after all.
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Unfortunately, Mobipocket is not equivalent to ePub. The formatting in an ePub book can be much more elaborate than in a Mobipocket one, and most of that can be lost in conversion. It's usually fine if you just want to read the text, but you can use .txt for that, after all.
But I think that "can be more elaborate" is the important thing. Yes, ePub files can have much more elaborate formatting than Mobi is able to support, but I rather suspect that in the overwhelming majority of fiction, those advanced capabilities of ePub are not used.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how can Bookeen add in Adobe DRM and still keep Mobipocket on the Gen3? Sounds like someone at Bookeen didn't read the contract they signed.
Presumably the same way that iRex also can, given that they've announced the same thing for the DR1000:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39555

... and, like the Gen3, the DR1000 also supports Mobi DRM.

It certainly sounds as though perhaps Adobe and Mobi have reached some sort of agreement on having both types of DRM on a device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Most ePub books are just ordinary eBooks in a differnet container. So really, most will convert fine.

What I would like to see is some of these more complexly aid out eBooks that are in PDF be release as ePub. But for now, most will be convertible to another format easily enough using Calibre.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #54
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The restriction appears to be on "pre-installed" software only, so if you have a platform on which software can be installed (eg desktop PCs, PDAs, Smartphones) it doesn't apply. Unfortunately none of the eInk devices (with the exception of iRex) are "open" in terms of being able to install your own applications on them.
Well, Cybook internally has Linux installed. Certain number of programs run from firmware, but there's nothing that stops the Bookeen engineers to make other programs run from memory.

If the Adobe DRM reader is just am executable file, with instructions: "copy this file to main memory, and the Cybook will start supporting Adobe DRM", it will be just a typical software installation - won't it?

Edit: they could even ask Adobe to host this file on Adobe site, as "Acrobat Reader for Cybook".

Last edited by Krystian Galaj; 02-21-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #55
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Maybe even having Adobe DRM support as a firmware update (not pre-installed) could avoid the problem.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #56
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Edit: they could even ask Adobe to host this file on Adobe site, as "Acrobat Reader for Cybook".
In my mind this would solve all issues, after all this is what I do for my PDA. My PDA can run eReader, Mobi, and Adobe all installed at the same time, as long as the install files are available for my hardware.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #57
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, the news is a bit old now, but i just read about it.

that's cool. Maybe i'll be able to read the pdf's from Eyrolls now. Right now, they are too big, and the readder just crash.

Is getting rid of the DRM on Epub's possible ? If so, then, Epub is one more format i can get.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Well, the news is a bit old now, but i just read about it.

that's cool. Maybe i'll be able to read the pdf's from Eyrolls now. Right now, they are too big, and the readder just crash.

Is getting rid of the DRM on Epub's possible ? If so, then, Epub is one more format i can get.
Even if these PDFs do work, they won't look nice. Why people think PDF makes a good eBook format I have no idea. I would like ePub to replace PDF for that purpose and then we can have more complex formats that we can read without issue.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #59
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Actually, PDFs make excellent ebooks if you format them right. Of course you can't expect a PDF formatted for the size of A4 to display neatly on a device with 6" screen.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #60
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Nah. Mobi is definifly better than pdf for E-books. pdf where never meant to be an E-book format.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote