Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Liisssaa
Liisssaa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
AZW3 to MOBI

Hii

I'm having trouble with converting a book. I bought a book a few days ago from amazon. I downloaded it to my computer as a AZW3 file. I removed the DRM using epubor (and tried the same with epusoft) I converted the decripted file with calibre to MOBI like I've done many times before. After converting the file, I send the mobi file to my kindle paperwhite using email.

Now comes the issue, something I've never had before, but the mobi file reads all weird on my kindle. It only shows a few sentences on the screen instead of the whole page. All the content and chapters are there though. It just shows up weird.

Can someone help me out.
Liisssaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Is this the only book you have had trouble with?
If so, re-download it and start over. That sounds like you got a bad file.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Why did you e-mail it After you already converted it? Try Side loading it...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liisssaa View Post
Hii

I'm having trouble with converting a book. I bought a book a few days ago from amazon. I downloaded it to my computer as a AZW3 file. I removed the DRM using epubor (and tried the same with epusoft) I converted the decripted file with calibre to MOBI like I've done many times before. After converting the file, I send the mobi file to my kindle paperwhite using email.

Now comes the issue, something I've never had before, but the mobi file reads all weird on my kindle. It only shows a few sentences on the screen instead of the whole page. All the content and chapters are there though. It just shows up weird.

Can someone help me out.
AZW3 (KF8) can contain complex formatting that won't work in a MOBI. Perhaps you've hit one of these. Can't you just get it from your account rather than sending via email?

You could try converting to a combined MOBI/KF8 format.

Oh - and I recommend Apprentice Alf & Harper's plugin rather than paying money for drm removers. It also makes removing DRM and adding to calibre a one-step process.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
Liisssaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Is this the only book you have had trouble with?
If so, re-download it and start over. That sounds like you got a bad file.
Yeah, that's the only time that happened. And i've tried that but it doesn't work
Advert
Old 07-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #6
Liisssaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Why did you e-mail it After you already converted it? Try Side loading it...
So that it shows up on the document section on my account, and I've been told the only way to get it there is to email it and you can't email the azw3 format, so that's why I convert to mobi.
Unless I've been told wrong ofcourse hahah and what's side loading?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #7
Liisssaa

I tried transfering the azw3 file directly to my kindly through cable but I have the same issues with that
Old 07-16-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I tried transfering the azw3 file directly to my kindly through cable but I have the same issues with that
Then the problem is in the original file, and has nothing to do with conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
Liisssaa

I'm kinda guessing removing the drm is what's causing issues? I think a calibre plug in removes drm when I convert them.
Is there a way to remove the drm without messing up the layout?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm kinda guessing removing the drm is what's causing issues? I think a calibre plug in removes drm when I convert them.
Is there a way to remove the drm without messing up the layout?
It would be most surprising for the current tools to mess up the formatting of the AZW3 file. I think the developers ironed out any problems some time ago.

But since you're using tools from a fourth party, who knows which version of Apprentice ALf's code they're using.

I'd advise

(1) Checking the book when actually downloaded to your Kindle directly from Amazon. If THAT has formatting problems, it's clearly an issue to be raised with Amazon/the publisher.
(2) Try removing DRM using the latest version of Alf's tools. If that produces formatting problems in the AZW3, then report that at Apprentice Harper's github repository.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Liisssaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It would be most surprising for the current tools to mess up the formatting of the AZW3 file. I think the developers ironed out any problems some time ago.

But since you're using tools from a fourth party, who knows which version of Apprentice ALf's code they're using.

I'd advise

(1) Checking the book when actually downloaded to your Kindle directly from Amazon. If THAT has formatting problems, it's clearly an issue to be raised with Amazon/the publisher.
(2) Try removing DRM using the latest version of Alf's tools. If that produces formatting problems in the AZW3, then report that at Apprentice Harper's github repository.
I have the newest alf drm tool, but that doesn't work. I have to use a different program (epubor) to remove the drm.

I bought a epub file from ebooks.com and tried with that (it's a non drm protected file) and converted it to mobi, and I have the same problems. Could it be that calibre is the problem with that specific book?

Last edited by Liisssaa; 07-16-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I have the newest alf drm tool, but that doesn't work. I have to use a different program (epubor) to remove the drm.

I bought a epub file from ebooks.com and tried with that (it's a non drm protected file) and converted it to mobi, and I have the same problems. Could it be that calibre is the problem with that specific book?
It sounds more likely to me the book itself. Have you actually looked at it on your kindle directly from Amazon without messing it about yet?

Since the epubor software uses the scripts from Alf's site internally, I suggest you just post an import log at Alf's blog or Harper's github repository and get that sorted.

But I don't think it's the DRM process. It sounds more like it's the book.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
Liisssaa

OKe so, I updated calibre, and installed the newest drm removal from alf and that is working now.
I tried converting this other book I bought from amazon today, and that worked fine. I tried again with the book that was having isues hoping the problem resolved itself, but it didn't. So i'm thinking the problem is in the actual book? What do you guys think?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
OKe so, I updated calibre, and installed the newest drm removal from alf and that is working now.
I tried converting this other book I bought from amazon today, and that worked fine. I tried again with the book that was having isues hoping the problem resolved itself, but it didn't. So i'm thinking the problem is in the actual book? What do you guys think?
I think it's the book. But you can prove (or disprove) that by just opening it on your Kindle directly from Amazon.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
So i'm thinking the problem is in the actual book? What do you guys think?
I think that this is precisely what I suggested in post #8 above. Why don't you do what pdurrant has now suggested twice and open the original book directly from Amazon on your Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, conversion, kindle, kindle paperwhite, mobi