Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #30436
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Did you say a 20 year old battery? That is just stupid to think it would work.
That's what I mean; it's an handheld drill / screwdriver, and the battery is so old it can barely turn screws in hot butter, let alone drill a hole.

Quote:
Can you send him somewhere for a few days and just replace the stuff?
Impossible...

Quote:
Or I may have an idea for you. Can you just borrow something old and return with something similar and new?
Technically, I could, but that would come down to -me- paying to replace -his- old crap. My dad's not filthy rich by any stretch of the imagination, but his pension is nearly as high as my salary, which much lower living costs, so he can basically do whatever he wants. Let's say, replace the entire (35 year old) kitchen, and have it done by workmen... he would hardly notice it, financially. The money spent would be back in the bank within the year. If he can do that, I see no reason to pay to replace those tools for him.

Maybe some stuff should start to 'break'.... if you get my drift.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #30437
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That's what I mean; it's an handheld drill / screwdriver, and the battery is so old it can barely turn screws in hot butter, let alone drill a hole.

Impossible...

Technically, I could, but that would come down to -me- paying to replace -his- old crap. My dad's not filthy rich by any stretch of the imagination, but his pension is nearly as high as my salary, which much lower living costs, so he can basically do whatever he wants. Let's say, replace the entire (35 year old) kitchen, and have it done by workmen... he would hardly notice it, financially. The money spent would be back in the bank within the year. If he can do that, I see no reason to pay to replace those tools for him.

Maybe some stuff should start to 'break'.... if you get my drift.
Hmmm. Dad I need the whatzit. Oops. Yep, that could work.
Oh and hubby just replaced our old screwdriver with a new 20 volt one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #30438
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Usually in the middle of the night.
I've learned to look before I sit.
Oh and to Katsunami, don't men have to sit about half the time anyway?
Not nearly half, we sit once... and stand lots of times... depending in what's in our cup today.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #30439
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Not nearly half, we sit once... and stand lots of times... depending in what's in our cup today.
You're counting number of visits, Cin said half the TIME. If you add up the minutes, it could be MORE than half the time, depending on available reading material.

TMI,
ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #30440
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
You're counting number of visits, Cin said half the TIME. If you add up the minutes, it could be MORE than half the time, depending on available reading material.

TMI,
ApK
Note to self: change out the reading material.
Now for way too much information, my granddad had a table and a telephone in there.
It was his office. He also kept crossword puzzle books in there.
Advert
Old 07-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #30441
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I have an inconveniently placed cataract in my left eye which means the vision in my left eye can't be completely corrected with glasses. I really think the vision in that eye has gotten foggier/blurrier in the only 2 months since I got my glasses. I'm going to the ophthalmologist on Wednesday. I hope nothing beyond cataracts is going on. I'm 44 and feel like I'm already falling apart. It is depressing.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #30442
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
If it's a cataract, you're a bit young but it does happen. Lots of things can cause that to occur at an earlier age. The good news is, if that's what it is, no big deal these days. Heck, you'll likely even come out of it not needing glasses for that eye. So here's hoping there's nothing else going on, covingtoncat73.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #30443
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I'm 44 and feel like I'm already falling apart. It is depressing.
Try my kind of vision. On some days I actually wish I'd been blind from birth so I wouldn't have to bother with seeing stuff at all. Or trying to work at a computer 8 hours a day for that matter; choosing IT as my career because I was good at it 15 years ago was the worst choice of my life. But what did I know, that fads such as tiny, light grey ultra-thin print on websites and in software would become the norm? In 'my time' (god, I feel old), a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 screen at 19 or 21 inch was actually usable.

Nowadays, software often barely fits in 1920x1080. My laptop runs at 150%, and the screen effectively is 1280x720... where my 10 year old laptop was 1280x800 at 100%. Yes, the newer laptop is technically sharper, but back then, software and websites actually WORKED WELL in a 1280x800 space.

Right now, I'm -just- on the verge of being able to function normally without any special assistance (except glasses and close placement of computer monitors and such), but it takes an ungodly amount of energy just to be able to see things.

I'm trying to get back into classical music again... and the one thing I'm finding out (again) is that publishers *STILL* print sheet music as if paper is horribly expensive. 12-14 lines of music on an A4 page is the norm.... and because it 'looks good', they use small noteheads and thin lines.

The best editions with regard to readability are the (old) Schirmer ones. Big, fat notes, 10 lines per page... but with regard to expression printed in the music, they're bad. They change music to how it should have been according to their editor, instead of just printing the composer's score.

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-24-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #30444
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
If it's a cataract, you're a bit young but it does happen. Lots of things can cause that to occur at an earlier age. The good news is, if that's what it is, no big deal these days. Heck, you'll likely even come out of it not needing glasses for that eye. So here's hoping there's nothing else going on, covingtoncat73.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Try my kind of vision. On some days I actually wish I'd been blind from birth so I wouldn't have to bother with seeing stuff at all. Or trying to work at a computer 8 hours a day for that matter; choosing IT as my career because I was good at it 15 years ago was the worst choice of my life. But what did I know, that fads such as tiny, light grey ultra-thin print on websites and in software would become the norm? In 'my time' (god, I feel old), a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 screen at 19 or 21 inch was actually usable.

Nowadays, software often barely fits in 1920x1080. My laptop runs at 150%, and the screen effectively is 1280x720... where my 10 year old laptop was 1280x800 at 100%. Yes, the newer laptop is technically sharper, but back then, software and websites actually WORKED WELL in a 1280x800 space.

Right now, I'm -just- on the verge of being able to function normally without any special assistance (except glasses and close placement of computer monitors and such), but it takes an ungodly amount of energy just to be able to see things.

I'm trying to get back into classical music again... and the one thing I'm finding out (again) is that publishers *STILL* print sheet music as if paper is horribly expensive. 12-14 lines of music on an A4 page is the norm.... and because it 'looks good', they use small noteheads and thin lines.

The best editions with regard to readability are the (old) Schirmer ones. Big, fat notes, 10 lines per page... but with regard to expression printed in the music, they're bad. They change music to how it should have been according to their editor, instead of just printing the composer's score.
Thanks, guys.

CRuss - Yeah, me, too. I kind of think I'd be having issues with my right eye, too, if it was something else, but we'll see. I know cataract surgery is probably the easiest thing called surgery, so there's that.

Kats, I am sorry to hear that. I kind of feel that way about hearing. I've been hard of hearing pretty much my whole life. I function with one cheap hearing aid, when I really need 2 good ones but I function. Barely.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #30445
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I have an inconveniently placed cataract in my left eye which means the vision in my left eye can't be completely corrected with glasses. I really think the vision in that eye has gotten foggier/blurrier in the only 2 months since I got my glasses. I'm going to the ophthalmologist on Wednesday. I hope nothing beyond cataracts is going on. I'm 44 and feel like I'm already falling apart. It is depressing.
Hoping for the best! I'm going to be 40 and my vision has changed so much this year that I can't use my laptop comfortably anymore. I can't be in bright lights either. Last time I went outside without sunglasses because I couldn't find them it took two days for my eyes to heal. I sat in a dark room for two days. Hubby makes fun of me squinting all the time because I can't see more than a foot in front of me after that it's all blurry especially in my right eye. I no longer watch TV because I can't see it. It's tablets, eReaders and smartphones for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #30446
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Hoping for the best! I'm going to be 40 and my vision has changed so much this year that I can't use my laptop comfortably anymore. I can't be in bright lights either. Last time I went outside without sunglasses because I couldn't find them it took two days for my eyes to heal. I sat in a dark room for two days. Hubby makes fun of me squinting all the time because I can't see more than a foot in front of me after that it's all blurry especially in my right eye. I no longer watch TV because I can't see it. It's tablets, eReaders and smartphones for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Will you please contact your local Lion's club and see if they can get you an eye exam?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #30447
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Will you please contact your local Lion's club and see if they can get you an eye exam?
I plan to go to America's Best for my Birthday in November. They have an eye exam and glasses for $70. It's an everyday price. My current glasses are from 2007. Scratched up pretty much but it's all I got right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #30448
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I plan to go to America's Best for my Birthday in November. They have an eye exam and glasses for $70. It's an everyday price. My current glasses are from 2007. Scratched up pretty much but it's all I got right now.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Oh, I hope they can get you some glasses that help.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #30449
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I LOVE living in paradise, but sometimes it just sux. Especially when I try buying something by mail order. Shipping cost is usually about 25% more than a mainland address but sometimes as much several hundred percent. That's just something we accept as the "paradise tax".

But sometimes a seller just refuses to ship the Hawaii! I just tried to buy a Segway MiniPro self balancing scooter (hover-board) from Amazon... no dice. I tried a different vendor... same story. Then another without any better luck.

I began to suspect that the problem was with the lithium batteries not being authorized for air shipment, then I tried WalMart.com. Wallah! They would ship it for FREE, so I ordered a white one. They said it would be here on Aug 7.

Segways aren't recommended for us geezers over 60, but in my mind I'm still under 30... so broken hips shouldn't be an issue.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #30450
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I LOVE living in paradise, but sometimes it just sux. Especially when I try buying something by mail order. Shipping cost is usually about 25% more than a mainland address but sometimes as much several hundred percent. That's just something we accept as the "paradise tax".

But sometimes a seller just refuses to ship the Hawaii! I just tried to buy a Segway MiniPro self balancing scooter (hover-board) from Amazon... no dice. I tried a different vendor... same story. Then another without any better luck.

I began to suspect that the problem was with the lithium batteries not being authorized for air shipment, then I tried WalMart.com. Wallah! They would ship it for FREE, so I ordered a white one. They said it would be here on Aug 7.

Segways aren't recommended for us geezers over 60, but in my mind I'm still under 30... so broken hips shouldn't be an issue.
...and being killed by an exploding hoverboard battery would make for a really cool obituary.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness