Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
papablues050164
papablues050164 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red flag on bad mistake

I have a question that may or may not mark me as an idiot. I was one of those poor souls who once submitted a book to PublishAmerica. It did nothing of course, which probably had as much to do with my poor marketing skills or theirs.
The point is, its out there on the Net so its bound to turn up in any discussion on any future website of mine. Should I ignore that book, pretend it never existed? Or fess up now, admit my mistake now & get it out of the way? Thank you.
papablues050164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What are you ashamed of? Did you write book of Nazi poetry called "Odes to Adolf"? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
It seems you attribute the failure to poor marketing rather than the book itself being poor-so why would you ignore it? Choosing the wrong publisher might make the book hard to find but if it's good then recommend it-people will seek it out. If it's bad then acknowledge that. Either rewrite & republish it or list it but advise people to ignore it.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you're ashamed of it, then you might be wise not to mention it to your friends, co-workers, union, church, wife, children, New Jersey, MobileRead, bank, school, the community in which you live, credit union, state, and finally your country.

If on the other hand you are proud of it, then you should only mention it if someone else mentions it first and liked it. If they didn't like it, quickly walk away so that you will not be further embarrassed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Did you sell the copyright to PA? if you're not ashamed of the book, but only your association with PA, re-publish the book with Amazon and CreateSpace, and ignore the PA edition.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
You and over 10,000 others. Most authors do not start out as business people - unfortunate deals get made all the time, and this falls into that category. It happens. No one is perfect. PA presented themselves as something resembling a trad publisher in terms of what they claimed to offer. It took some time before the truth came to light.

Worrying overly much about your previous association with PA can leave a negative impression. I wouldn't address it unless it comes up. My advice, if it does come up, would be to chalk it up as "seemed like a good idea at the time", and don't make excuses. Simply state that, at the time, publishing outside of traditional routes was much harder to navigate and you're glad that authors have many more options available to them today.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I do not know the history here... what is PA and other then the book not selling (which could happen anywhere), what is there to be ashamed of?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
PA presented themselves as something resembling a trad pub on the face - providing small advances, claiming to have an intense review process for acceptance, and also claiming to offer full editorial and marketing services and in-store distribution just like trad pub. This was not quite accurate.

I've never seen a PA contract, so I do not know how much was promised contractually vs. what was delivered, but here's one article that discusses some of the uproar:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/publish.html
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I gathered that much... but why would that be an embarrassment? Everyone makes bad deals from time to time.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The best descriptions I've seen of PA hover around "truly loathsome." They market themselves to authors as a "traditional" publisher, a term they are trying to equate to a commercial publisher, but have a very different publishing model. Their basic business model is to lock the writer into a long-term deal and then sell them their own books at higher than average prices for the author to presumably resell. Many consider them a scam.

I wouldn't call attention to a PA book, but I wouldn't bother to market it until you can recover the rights.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've not heard of Publish America, but I wouldn't worry overly about having put a book out through them. Before I started self-publishing, I hadn't heard of Author Solutions and all their aliases either. Even now that I do know about them, seeing their name on a book listing doesn't put me off buying the book, it just makes me feel slightly sad that the author probably got a bad deal

I wouldn't mention it. If you're asked about it, be honest - you made a mistake. It looked like a good deal, and you only found out the truth when it was too late.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote