Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #151
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello. What tools do I need to compile this on my own? Can I do it on a windows machine?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #152
icantbebothered
Penguin
icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icantbebothered ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2.1
yay

This message is officially not too short.
icantbebothered is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #153
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

I have a UI question. Is there a gesture to ensure a PgDn / PgUp in a list of files longer than the height of screen? A click goes to a file; a swap gesture moves the viewing window one or two filenames lower. I do not know how to easily have PgDn / PgUp. Is this possible?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:06 AM   #154
hfpop
Addict

I try to compile kindle explorer on Ubuntu 12.10. I have installed gtk 2.0 and the CodeSourcery package. However, I do not seem to get all things right:

- I installed arm-2012.09-64-arm-none-linux-gnueabi.bin
- instead of arm-linux-gnueabi-g++ I have arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++
- pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0 works fine
- I get warnings on cross-compile
- I get errors that all the -l libraries in linker are not found

Thank you for any help on this issue.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #155
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/ar...ux-gnu.tar.bz2 <-- Toolchain

Put the libs from your kindle in your toolchains include/libs folder?

BUT NOT THE LIBC ONE!!! IT WILL BREAK YOUR TOOLCHAIN!!!

Is not the 2012.09 Hardfloat by default? I forget. You need softfloat. Linky above

You appear to be trying to build against your system libs (not arm) that won't work for the kindle... REF: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189372

Last edited by twobob; 04-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #156
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Hello. What tools do I need to compile this on my own? Can I do it on a windows machine?
2) Yes - although not a project for beginners.

The native cross-compile toolchain for windows is on the same server, filed right next to the Linux one that twobob gave you a link to above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #157
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

windows? Yikes. I have a play with doing that one windows again only the other day.
The gtk stuff is a nice simple bundle but the fiddling with paths and such is very non obvious on there.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #158
twobob

Okay. Quick update. hfpop got his Toolchain working with the tips.

I am working SLOWLY toward getting the terminal support on the lower dives that I would like. baby steps from my side.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #159
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
I really like the ease of use of this explorer app. I can quickly view/edit files and start kterm. Thanks.

I start explorer from KUAL - the upcoming 0.5 provisional version. KUAL captures the standard error output of all the extensions it starts. This is what it captures for explorer (many times)
Code:
(explorer:2682): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_list_store_set_sort_column_id: assertion `list_store->default_sort_func != NULL' failed
Just fyi.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #160
hfpop
Addict

Hello,

Just to report: I successfully modified and compiled Kindle Explorer to suit my needs. I hold my books in /mnt/us/books and needed Kindle Explorer ONLY to copy what I want to read to /mnt/us/documents.

I am looking now to modify the glade file(s) in order to have wider sliders with the file list window, since in the current design they are impossible to use by touch.

Thanks to @twobob for the support.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #161
twobob

Welcome.

I am knee deep in trying to get decent support for the lower devices.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #162
hfpop
Addict

I am trying to change MainWindow.glade in order to allow finger aim on scrollbars under Paperwhite. The only success I had was to introduce a border-width property with value 25 under GtkScrollWindow. It is satisfactory, but not great. Not even good. At least you can aim the scrollbar.

Is there a possibility to have actual buttons on the toolbar, with PgUp/PgDn functionality? This would be great. It allows you to actually see what you have there. When dragging the scrollbar you cannot read while dragging.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #163
hfpop
Addict

Report on PgUp and PgDn buttons: success.

Instead of playing with the scrollbars and make them touchable, the following idea works as expected:
- use two buttons in the taskbar, for PgUp and PgDn;
- link the buttons with new functions in FilesModel;
- these functions are responsible with working on the GtkAdjustment object coming from gtk_tree_view_get_vadjustment();
- circular loop implemented on PgUp and PgDn.

Everything works as expected. Very nice.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #164
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
Report on PgUp and PgDn buttons: success.

Instead of playing with the scrollbars and make them touchable, the following idea works as expected:
- use two buttons in the taskbar, for PgUp and PgDn;
- link the buttons with new functions in FilesModel;
- these functions are responsible with working on the GtkAdjustment object coming from gtk_tree_view_get_vadjustment();
- circular loop implemented on PgUp and PgDn.

Everything works as expected. Very nice.
Sounds nice - are you planning to share your findings, please?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #165
hfpop
Addict

Personal variation of Kindle Explorer

I modified and compiled Kindle Explorer 1.50 to suit my needs, as follows:
- my books are in /mnt/us/books, set as startup folder
- implemented a function to copy the current file to /mnt/us/documents
- implemented PgUp and PgDn buttons with circular loop
- removed all graphics, to conserve space
- toolbar buttons: DirUp, Copy, About, Exit, PgUp, PgDn

I attach two archives: modified sources and installation archive.
Again: Thanks to twobob for the support in the compile tools setup phase.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-explorer-src-hfpop.zip (236.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: zip explorer-hfpop.zip (37.8 KB, 216 views)