Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #4306
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Unless you're happy with mere possession, the only reason to buy a book is to read it.
I buy every book with the hope of reading it.

Quote:
If one is buying more books than one can read (i.e. one's TBR pile keeps growing) then you're not being selective enough.
Alas, that task has grown way too hard. One has moods, one has favorites, one has interests. Where to stop?

Quote:
It's better, IMO, to be selective at the purchase point than when choosing what to read next.
I have got much better at that over the years, and no longer visit the specials tables either in the real world or online.

Quote:
Of course, some of us are better than others at this. I have only just managed to keep my books removed slightly more than my books added this year.
One of the biggest problems for me, is that I got a serious back injury at work years ago, and was laid up for 16 months, not able to do much, so all I did was read and listen to music, and got heartily sick of both eventually. It was huge impact on my life, for one who was such a bookworm and music lover. When I got well enough I turned to other interests, and have never felt the same about reading or music as I did before the injury.

I used to read one or two books a week. Now I am lucky if I read one in a month or two. Occasionally I will get stuck into a good series and read several over a few weeks, but generally I find it hard to get in the mood these days. Same goes for music and movies, and I haven't touched my guitar for a few years, which means I also stopped writing songs.

My addiction of choice these days, is programming. It helps me escape the real world for a while, not unlike my books used to do and still do sometimes.

I still buy books though, as a part of me still yearns for their simple pleasures.

Quote:
Welcome to the thread. Recognising your addiction is the first step to controlling it.
Thanks.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #4307
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
To illustrate the power of patience...

I've long been aware of the "Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser" series by Fritz Lieber. A few months ago, a couple of the books went on sale - cheap enough that they finally reached my purchasing threshold - and I put the rest on a "Missing Pieces" wish list so I could easily keep track of what I did and didn't have. Since then, different volumes - one a day, never more, and never in a predictable order - have gone on sale, and I've snagged them as that happened.

I now have all but the last volume, and I didn't pay more than $1.99 for any of them. (Unless there was tax, but.) They normally go for six to eight dollars each.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 12:08 AM   #4308
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
To illustrate the power of patience...
Well done. Good on you!
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #4309
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's still not a good deal unless/until you read them.

Buying ten books for a dollar and not reading them is still worse than buying one book for ten dollars and reading it.

I'm a lot better now at resisting deals, and not buying deep into series I haven't even started, and I'm still only just staying ahead of my acquisitions.

If something's been on offer once, it probably will be again.

My own Amazon record is not great - 421 non-free books since Oct 2010, and I've only read 164 of those - but lately I've only been spending when I have credits in danger of expiring and there's a good deal on a wishlist book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #4310
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
My own Amazon record is not great - 421 non-free books since Oct 2010, and I've only read 164 of those - but lately I've only been spending when I have credits in danger of expiring and there's a good deal on a wishlist book.
You're doing better than me in the buying! My total is 1666 bought ebooks since January 2010.

I'm away from calibre, so I don't know how many of those I've read. More than 1000 of them, I'd guess
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2017, 09:28 AM   #4311
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Very true! I've resisted some of the recent Humble Bundles and similar for just this reason.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #4312
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
See, I'm a series binge-reader by nature. Once that last book goes on sale*, I can snap it up and read the whole saga.

* Amazon shows a relatively small discount right now, so technically it is on sale, but I'm talking about "on sale for $1.99 or less, like the others were."
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #4313
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Now I'm back at my calibre installation, I can say that since 29 January 2002, I've bought 3,478 ebooks, and read 2633 of them (so far!)

Well, those exact numbers hide some uncertainty in term of whether I've counted omnibuses as single books or split them up.

But I'm quite pleased to find that I seem have read over three quarters of the ebooks I've bought. It's more than I'd expected.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-29-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 AM   #4314
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I now have all but the last volume, and I didn't pay more than $1.99 for any of them. (Unless there was tax, but.) They normally go for six to eight dollars each.
Aaaand the last book just went on sale! Clean sweep!
Old 07-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #4315
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Congratulations Rev Bob.

Not ebooks but I need Goodwill to end their 5 for a dollar sale. Must buy in lots of 5.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #4316
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

When there's a book I want to buy, I now tend to just add it to my list at ereaderiq.com, and wait for it appear in a special offer.

But I now have 154 books listed there. And the list just keeps growing. I suspect that in a year or three, the list will be so big that I'll probably get an notification every day. Adding to the list might only be a short-term solution to not buying too many ebooks. We shall see.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 AM   #4317
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's time for my end of the month wrap-up.

I bought two wishlist books in July, both using Google promotional credit, and spent $5 cash. My YTD total is 15 books for a cash outlay of $19.25. This is easy! Why didn't I do this years ago?

For comparison's purpose, at this time last year I had bought 46 books for $132. I'll also note a net TBR reduction of 18, including WIP. OD, PD and audio help keep this number flat; I won't be running out of books to read any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
When there's a book I want to buy, I now tend to just add it to my list at ereaderiq.com, and wait for it appear in a special offer.

But I now have 154 books listed there. And the list just keeps growing. I suspect that in a year or three, the list will be so big that I'll probably get an notification every day. Adding to the list might only be a short-term solution to not buying too many ebooks. We shall see.
FWIW, I keep an upper limit on the number of books allowed on my Amazon wishlist. I go through it regularly and jettison books that no longer seem as appealing or that I realize I'll never quite feel like reading.

As with anything, once the number gets out of hand the utility drops precipitously. This is just me, of course.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:25 PM   #4318
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've only bought 8 books in July. Less than my average for 2017 (which is 10).

Looking back over the year so far, I'm not sure there are any of my purchases that I regret. This is certainly a good thing. But it does show that I need to be even more selective if I'm to have any chance of reducing my TBR to a more manageable level.

However, I end July with my TBR 15 down on the start of the year, which is certainly better than in increase!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #4319
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I'm doing fab so far this year. One purchase in July (also Google credit) and six all year totaling $13.38.

I've read 24 books as of July 31st. Better than last year.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:22 PM   #4320
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Congratulations! That is heroic restraint.