Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Issue with rooted nook color

(sigh) I just do'n get no respect...

I turned my rooted nook color off jst for the Hell of it and now it won't restart. I tried it with the sd card our, tried it with a short push on the on button, a long push, held my mouth right and everything. Nothing. Any ideas on this folks?

OK, it finally started after pushing the button multiple times with the sd card out. Got the grey N, Nook Color screen, and it works. But why didn't it first?
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You were that bored, huh? Man, I don't have anything to do. I know! Let me turn off my NC.

Are you sure you aren't holding the power button down too long when you're turning it on?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You were that bored, huh? Man, I don't have anything to do. I know! Let me turn off my NC.

Are you sure you aren't holding the power button down too long when you're turning it on?
Tried it both ways. Short push and long push. Neither worked initially. A medium push (1-2 seconds) eventually did it. I wonder if I have this thing rooted correctly given this and the non-working book icon. Also I have a book that won't take Night as a color of the pages. Only white with black letters. When I try Night (black pages with white letters) I just get a white screen. White letters on a white page I'm assuming.

And I took today off, I'll have you know! I wasnt' bored, I was simply not engaged enough...
Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Your engaged? Congratulations!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
And I took today off, I'll have you know! I wasnt' bored, I was simply not engaged enough...
Smarty pants!

The book thing could just be a fluke (with that book).

Your continue reading icon never works?

This is your second root, it doesn't make sense that it's a root problem. Meaning that you had a power issue before this.

Last edited by SCION; 12-23-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
rogerperk
Connoisseur

When I was rooting my HD2 it would sometimes not 'take' all the way. Thats where I get that. I can still navigate around my books using the Library buttone and it remembers where I stopped reading so it's not a show stopper, just annoying. But it does make me wonder what else is waiting in there, like the turning on thing.

And thanks, Kennyc! Way too old for that though. It's an Army phrase, as in 'decisively engaged'?
Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
When I was rooting my HD2 it would sometimes not 'take' all the way. Thats where I get that. I can still navigate around my books using the Library buttone and it remembers where I stopped reading so it's not a show stopper, just annoying. But it does make me wonder what else is waiting in there, like the turning on thing.

And thanks, Kennyc! Way too old for that though. It's an Army phrase, as in 'decisively engaged'?
Just my sense of humor Roger. Welcome to MR, you're in great hands.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Don't you have SoftKeys installed? When you press the "n" button does the SoftKeys menu come up?

I don't have the newer version of SoftKeys so bear with me. Whatever manner you use to bring up the SoftKeys menu, does it display a list of recent tasks? In my version one of the recent tasks would be the continue reading icon if applicable.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
kenm
Enthusiast
kenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litterkenm doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, iPod Touch, Nook Color, Acer Iconia Tab A500
I had issues with my NC after my first attempt to root. It would not boot up at all with the nooter SD card in it after the rooting process was over. I reset my NC back to factory settings and re-rooted it, swapped SD cards and since then everything has been fine. Except occasionally YoUTube will not start. I fixed that by using Titanium Backup to wipe the data for the YouTube app and it started working again. Apparently there is a problem with the YouTube app crashing if you exit it when you are still signed into your YouTube account.
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
rogerperk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Don't you have SoftKeys installed? When you press the "n" button does the SoftKeys menu come up?

I don't have the newer version of SoftKeys so bear with me. Whatever manner you use to bring up the SoftKeys menu, does it display a list of recent tasks? In my version one of the recent tasks would be the continue reading icon if applicable.
I"m using ADW and Softkeys doesn't come up when I it N. I get multiple pages. Could it be a setup thing? I went through the menu and didn't fine anything obvious. I can turn Softkeys on from the app page.

OK, I get a key to go to my current read with that but not the icon on the bottom of the page. I get the menu when I hit the arrow on the side. Also, when I hit the Home key on the small Softkey menu - the black one - I get a stock home screen and the button works. confusing.

Last edited by rogerperk; 12-23-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I"m using ADW and Softkeys doesn't come up when I it N. I get multiple pages. Could it be a setup thing? I went through the menu and didn't fine anything obvious. I can turn Softkeys on from the app page.

OK, I get a key to go to my current read with that but not the icon on the bottom of the page. I get the menu when I hit the arrow on the side. Also, when I hit the Home key on the small Softkey menu - the black one - I get a stock home screen and the button works. confusing.
OK, I have ADW as well.

This is how I have SoftKeys setup (Settings). You need to have Home Switcher installed if it's not already. Within Home Switcher, set Softkeys as the default launcher (home screen). I know it sounds strange.

Here are my settings for the Softkeys app (version 1.10) that seem to work well. You'll need to follow along based on your version:

Virtual Home Button
Normal Press > ADW Launcher
Long Press > Default NOOKcolor Home
Return after Back > Unchecked

Physical Home Button
Single Press > Launcher
Double Press > Exit

Visuals and Layout
Theme > Default
Exit Button > Checked
Prefs Button > Unchecked
Blur Behind > Unchecked
Dim Background > Checked
Recent Apps > Unchecked

Notification Bar
No items checked

One press of 'n' button brings up SoftKeys (including recent tasks). Double clicking the 'n' button will take you home immediately.

Someone mentioned that version 2.2 of SoftKeys is totally re-vamped from the 1.## versions and it's functionality does not make use of the "n" button. This is one reason why I plan to manually re-root so that I can re-install my present version of SoftKeys which I've grown quite fond of.

Last edited by SCION; 12-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Yeah, your version has the menu that appears when you hit the arrow on the side. I'm assuming the "n' button can't be assigned in settings.

Look at the settings and see if you can tweak it to something more beneficial now that you know how SoftKeys is setup by default.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
rogerperk
Connoisseur

Ok. Let me give that a shot. You know, I owe you much liquor for you help.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Ok. Let me give that a shot. You know, I owe you much liquor for you help.
Liquor?!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #15
rogerperk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Liquor?!
Yes. Booze. Hooch. Liquid stupid. Or just coffee if you'd rather.