Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
cebyam
cebyam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unable to download to either Kindle or computer!

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me.

I've never had a problem before with my 2nd Gen Kindle.

Last night I bought two new books online. I eagerly switched on the kindle's wireless and Sync & Checked for new times, but nothing happened.

I tried that a few times, then I looked in the Archived Items and there they were. I selected them and it says "Now downloading the selected item... It willl automatically open when the download is complete."

However it never opens and times out.

I tried to access the Kindle store, but that doesn't work either, despite the fact that I have full bars!

I left it for the night, thinking it might work this morning, but alas. Same problem.

I tried doing everything it said on the Amazon site in their trouble shooting section. Restarting has had no effect whatsover.

I really want to read the new books, so I thought that maybe I could download to my computer and then upload them via USB, but when I try to do that, I can get past the Sign In page! It just keeps refreshing that page, and yes, my password is correct.

I can download them to my 'Kindle for Mac' though. But not my actual Kindle, nor my desktop to transfer to the Kindle itself.

Hoping that someone can help me....

Getting very frustrated!!!

Last edited by cebyam; 11-04-2010 at 03:12 PM.
cebyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Call customer service.

I wish I could help you but I cannot. Sorry
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here's your link......click on the "contact us' button on the right, sign into your account, and choose the "call me" button.

Enter your phone number and you will be called back almost immediately.

Let us know what they say.......

Kindle Support Page
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
cebyam

Hmmm. I sent them an email. I'm in Canada and only have a pre-paid cell phone with pretty crummy rates, and a bit worried how much the call will cost me.... I guess I will have to though if they don't email me back soon.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebyam View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping that someone can help me.

I've never had a problem before with my 2nd Gen Kindle.

Last night I bought two new books online. I eagerly switched on the kindle's wireless and Sync & Checked for new times, but nothing happened.

I tried that a few times, then I looked in the Archived Items and there they were. I selected them and it says "Now downloading the selected item... It willl automatically open when the download is complete."

However it never opens and times out.

I tried to access the Kindle store, but that doesn't work either, despite the fact that I have full bars!

I left it for the night, thinking it might work this morning, but alas. Same problem.

I tried doing everything it said on the Amazon site in their trouble shooting section. Restarting has had no effect whatsover.

I really want to read the new books, so I thought that maybe I could download to my computer and then upload them via USB, but when I try to do that, I can get past the Sign In page! It just keeps refreshing that page, and yes, my password is correct.

I can download them to my 'Kindle for Mac' though. But not my actual Kindle, nor my desktop to transfer to the Kindle itself.

Hoping that someone can help me....

Getting very frustrated!!!
I've never had this on any Kindle, but on nook.
On nook, my purchase didn't succeed (wrong IP), although the book did show in my archive.
The only indicator: I didn't get a receipt from B&N for the purchase.
I've re-purchased it (for me, it was re-purchasing. For B&N, it was purchasing for the very first time, so of course I only got billed once). The "defective" one has been "over-written" by the "correct" one, so I don't even have a "dead one" in my archive.
Are you sure, your purchase did succeed?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
duckeedoug
Zealot
duckeedoug doesn't litterduckeedoug doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
I have only had this happen when my credit card has expired. The purchase appeared to go through, but I never received it on my device. It was only after checking my email that I found out that my CC had expired and that the transaction could not be completed. After updating my CC it the content downloaded without issue
duckeedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
cebyam

No, the credit card is fine. I got my confirmation emails, same as always. I think it must be something else, as I can't access the Kindle Store on the device either.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
I've overread this passage the first time.
Obviously your purchase DID succeed, so this can't be the explanation.
When in your account in the browser (PC or Mac, not on your Kindle): Did you try the "deliver to" feature? Explicitly send to your Kindle? And what does "delivery status" for your Kindle say?

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-04-2010 at 01:40 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
cebyam

Mgmuller - Yes, I have tried that. It says successfully sent! :-(
Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Mgmuller - Yes, I have tried that. It says successfully sent! :-(
Have you tried re-starting your Kindle? Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Restart. Sometimes a re-boot can clear up problems.

Edit: I see you tried a restart already. How about going back to factory settings. Copy your Kindle's documents folder to your computer first because it will wipe out everything and you'll have to re-register.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Mgmuller: Would you please fix your device tag. It is pushing your text far to the right making it a bit more difficult to read.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Restart your Kindle. I've had this happen, and restart fixed it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
manta
manta began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Well, I have a similar ongoing problem with Kindle PC, and all I can is to call into Amazon and complain. Right now they've escalated my ticket and it's now 4+ weeks and counting.

Just be sure to check back with a regular basis. So far, they have been changing the date of a "callback" on a weekly basis without any feedback, so I am not actually hopeful of any resolution at the moment.
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
cebyam

Just tried the factory reset.... it still won't connect to the Kindle Store, yet, as far as I can tell, it has full bars of service...

Sigh. Guess I'll have to call them, no response to the email yet. (Do you normally get a confirmation that it's been sent? I never got one...)
Old 11-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
cebyam

There must be SOME communication going on between my kindle and Amazon as the website recognized that I had factory reset the device and made me re-register, and then after I re-registered it, it changed the name of the kindle from "My Kindle" to the name I gave it.
But whenever I try to sync or access the shop eventually it comes up with:

"Your Kindle is unable to connect at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please restart your Kindle from the Menu in Settings and try again."

Gahhhhh.

And now I just noticed that all the books that I've bought since I got it are in the Archive, but I can't download them.... sigh.

Last edited by cebyam; 11-04-2010 at 03:45 PM.