Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
What am I doing wrong (adding html book to calibre)

I'm trying to add a rather large set of html files to calibre as a book. I have a table of contents, which I am selecting when I choose "add book". However, calibre is never making any progress on adding the book.

I have the full set of html files downloaded to my computer. After having problems, I went through all of the files and tried to cut out a lot of the unnecessary junk in them.

The files do have some javascript in them still (due to the way they're set up). Do I need to kill that? Are <span> tags okay?

thanks!
~TuxGirl
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
When you brought the HTML files in, did you bring them in intact? Are the links still pointing outside to the web?

I use HTTrack which downloads websites and puts a copy on the computer. When I use that the pointers are all to the computer.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
I'm trying to add a rather large set of html files to calibre as a book. I have a table of contents, which I am selecting when I choose "add book". However, calibre is never making any progress on adding the book.

I have the full set of html files downloaded to my computer. After having problems, I went through all of the files and tried to cut out a lot of the unnecessary junk in them.

The files do have some javascript in them still (due to the way they're set up). Do I need to kill that? Are <span> tags okay?

thanks!
~TuxGirl
Make sure the files still work in a browser without javascript, and kill any external connection so the browser can't grab files from the net. Only relative links will be grabbed as calibre imports the files and javascript won't work or do anything. If the files work with your browser test, then make sure that you give calibre plenty of time if it's a complex file.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
When you brought the HTML files in, did you bring them in intact? Are the links still pointing outside to the web?

I use HTTrack which downloads websites and puts a copy on the computer. When I use that the pointers are all to the computer.
If you have absolute address links, not just relative links, I also recommend this, or wget (which I slightly prefer over HTTrack in some situations.)
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

all links point only to the local files. The links can be followed when offline. It also works fine in firefox with javascript turned off.

There is a funny left margin to each page that I need to figure out how to turn off... I haven't gone through the code enough to figure that out.

Is it possible that it's just too many pages? There are probably over 50 files, but they average about 1-2 pages long each.
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
TuxGirl
Groupie

there is a section in the head that says:
<noscript>
<style type="text/css">
html,body{overflow:auto;}
#body-content{position:relative; top:0;}
#doc-content{overflow:visible;border-left:3px solid #666;}
#side-nav{padding:0;}
#side-nav .toggle-list ul {display:block;}
#resize-packages-nav{border-bottom:3px solid #666;}
</style>
</noscript>

if I take that out, then I can't scroll at all in the document. Is that something that could cause problems for calibre?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxGirl View Post
there is a section in the head that says:
<noscript>...

if I take that out, then I can't scroll at all in the document. Is that something that could cause problems for calibre?
Calibre will ignore script tags. I don't know what it does with noscript tags, but I suspect it may ignore them as well. You might try just removing the noscript tags, but leaving the style tag and content, as it should apply for noscript situations.
BTW, you asked if span tags were OK and no one replied. Yes, they are OK.