Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Yet another recomendation request

I've been reading through this subforum trying to decide which e-book reader I should purchase. There is a lot of good information here, but I have not found much information on a particular feature that I want.

The feature in question is the ability to display ebooks in arbitrary languages (specifically non latin character sets). I want to put my Armenian bible into whatever device I get and have it display correctly. I have the text in UTF-8 and there are plenty of truetype fonts that will display the characters correctly.

Armenian characters look like

Քրիստոս Ծնավ և Հայտնեցավ, Ձեզ և Մեզ Մեծ Ավետիս:

(the above is the traditional Christmas greeting and response)

From what I'm reading, I seems that the cybook gen 3 should be able to do this (At least some people are reading books with cyrillic characters, not sure if those are UTF-8), but I can't be sure and I can't tell which others might also work.

Other features that are important to me include

Linux compatible: I only use Linux
Open formats so I can use my content and PG content.
Fast boot or hibernate and resume capability.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I suggest you to upload or link to some free Armenian font and a sample of text in Armenian, so that people with a Cybook can test it.
I suspect it's also possible to add Armenian support to Sony Reader, but it's more involved and includes font editing and firmware reflashing.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get a free truetype font from http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/. The sample in my original post is short, but it should work. If a larger sample is needed, I can probably come up with something.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I think that the path of the least resistance is to make a pdf and embed the fonts in it. Such pdf should be readable on Sony Reader without ANY modidication.

Please download OpenOffice.org
- start a new document
- set page size to 90mm x 120mm
- set page margins to 2mm
- insert a few pages of armenian text. I recommend font size 12 points, but feel free to include several font sizes
- export the resulting file as pdf
- post it here so somebody with Sony Reader or Amazon
Kindle can try to view it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
hyegeek
Groupie

I created the doc, but at 27K I don't think the font is embedded. Any suggestions on what to select to get the font embedded?

Also, is PDF the only way I will be able to display armenian? Do the other formats not support UTF-8 documents?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
hyegeek
Groupie

Well in case the font is actually in there, I'm going to go ahead and attach the pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf arm.pdf (26.5 KB, 1137 views)
Old 12-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
Well in case the font is actually in there, I'm going to go ahead and attach the pdf.
It seems to work with PRS-505.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	armenian.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	826.2 KB
ID:	7825  
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
hyegeek
Groupie

That looks pretty good. Thanks.

Does anyone know if I could use formats other than PDF?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
Does anyone know if I could use formats other than PDF?
I believe you can use "Book Designer" (free) to create Sony Format (.lrf) eBooks with embedded fonts. (You may well be able to use it to do the same with other formats, it's just the Sony one I've been reading up on).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try Book Designer or Libprs500 and try embedding that font.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
hyegeek
Groupie

I have not yet found book designer (anyone have a URL?), but it looks like it is a Windows program. Libprs500 looks promising, but I will have to do a bit of work to get it running on my machine (it seems to want a later version of python than then one I'm running).

So it sounds like the short answer is the Sony probably understands and uses utf-8. I have not heard from anyone using the cybook, will it work as well or did I not understand what I had been reading?