Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #61
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKal View Post
On your second point - that has already begun to happen. Some government agencies have started to store some documents only as digital images.
And accept digital signatures on electronic documents as legally binding. At least in the US Dept of Defense, and if there is a federal agency more paranoid than that I haven't met it.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #62
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Speaking as a huge paper consumer for business purposes (corporate lawyer) I sit firmly on the hopeful side that tablets are going to largely displace paper. Three or more years ago now I replaced my ever growing collection of paperbacks with an ebook reader. When the Sony 600 came out I upgraded to take advantage of the note taking features. It did about half of what I wanted in a mediocre fashion - that is, I used it to take handwritten notes at work and drop them into my one note files but the small screen didn't make document review and annotation feasible. Recently I acquired an Ipad and it does everything I wanted the Sony to do and does it better from a paperless office perspective. The iAnnotate app is brilliant and very near perfect. Note Taker facilitates handwritten meeting notes ably (until something with OCR) comes along, and Whiteboard is ideal for mapping out ideas on the fly. The only quibble is with Apple's insistence on using iTunes as the wired document transfer vehicle - my life would obviously be easier if I could access files in a more harddrive like environment without having to jump through iTunes hoops. At this point however it is a small price to pay for being able to carry a huge statute with me on the fly together with my file info for meetings and homework.

In my experience it has already made a difference and as hardware and software continue to grow that influence will only continue to grow.
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #63
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I have an iPad, and I still make notes for my stories in my a5 notebook, simply because it cannot break and delete what I have written.
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #64
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
And accept digital signatures on electronic documents as legally binding. At least in the US Dept of Defense, and if there is a federal agency more paranoid than that I haven't met it.
Heck, even the uber paranoid IRS accepts electronic signatures.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #65
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Heck, even the uber paranoid IRS accepts electronic signatures.
Quote:
As does the Social Security Administration.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #66
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
IR in the UK don't need signatures anymore, at least not on our self-assessment - I can't remember the last time I had to sign anything (contract-wise) - perhaps a direct debit mandate was the last

One reason, I suspect, as to why utilities are able to "sign" new customers without their knowledge until the bills start rolling in ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #67
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I hope the only paper we see in 20 years is of the wrapping kind. But the complete change will take waaay longer because of the actual paper books in libraries, etc. But in daily life... it's already happening. I have decreased my paper clutter in the office by 50-60% and that only with good organization on my computer... now with my ipad I expect to cut some 20% more.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #68
PDowns
Enthusiast
PDowns doesn't litterPDowns doesn't litter

Device: (jetBook)lost in mail;(Kobo;ipod touch;Samsung S
I work in an IT office, I use two dot matrix printers on does 3 copy packing slips, the orther does 5 copy invoices. I have a colour printer for sales orders, black and white printer for purchase orders and cheques. I don't see us ever getting paperless....
PDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #69
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
One reason, I suspect, as to why utilities are able to "sign" new customers without their knowledge until the bills start rolling in ....
Two of the things required for electronic signatures to work are:

1. They must be unique and secret.
2. They must be non-reputable.

That means nobody else can electronically sign for you, and once you sign something, you can't deny it.

If those things exist nobody can "'sign" new customers' without their knowledge. In the US, federal employees do this with smart cards that contain unique private and public key certificates.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #70
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Two of the things required for electronic signatures to work are:

1. They must be unique and secret.
2. They must be non-reputable.

That means nobody else can electronically sign for you, and once you sign something, you can't deny it.
Great ideas. Too bad hand-written signatures don't meet either of these requirements.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #71
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Great ideas. Too bad hand-written signatures don't meet either of these requirements.
Yes, I have two overdue accounts on my credit report for communications services (Verizon and Cox Cable) in Virginia Beach.

Funny thing is that I have NEVER lived in Virginia Beach, and have only been there once in my life; and that was 11 years ago.

Hmmmm, wonder who's been signing my name? Unique and non-reputable signatures would eliminate these kind of problems
Old 10-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #72
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDowns View Post
I work in an IT office, I use two dot matrix printers on does 3 copy packing slips, the orther does 5 copy invoices. I have a colour printer for sales orders, black and white printer for purchase orders and cheques. I don't see us ever getting paperless....
Heh. You should tell your boss about this great new invention, it's called the 21st century...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #73
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Unique & non-reputable are the attempts to substitute for "must be physically present to make signature." Hand signatures can be forged, but a person can also (potentially) prove she was never in the place where the signature was made, or was not there at the time it was signed.

It's harder to prove "I did not type those words on a computer connected to that website."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:22 AM   #74
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDowns View Post
I'm not an authority in the matter, however I would like to point out that imho some things you mention can be passed to electronic versions. Invoices, sales and purchase orders and cheques (e-banking). Problem is when your market is mainly people that are "technologically challenged".
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #75
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Unique & non-reputable are the attempts to substitute for "must be physically present to make signature." Hand signatures can be forged, but a person can also (potentially) prove she was never in the place where the signature was made, or was not there at the time it was signed.
Biometric data would be much more secure than signatures, even in their present state, which could use better security around them. Why anyone relies on signatures these days is beyond me.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote