Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
Reader Maven
Reader Maven began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey there to Diane in AR, you will adore your Kindle. I've had mine for 10 months and don't know how I managed without it. Wait, I know how: I packed 6-9 books for a 2 week trip to Spain, so I wouldn't be caught without something to read. And even then I ended up on my hands and knees, on the 4th floor of a Madrid book store, searching through the only shelf of English paperbacks, hoping they weren't all Romance, or books I'd already read.
Reader Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #17
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Half of the ones I have on it are guilt books...like I should be reading these, but I won't because I'm too busy reading romance novels, but I'll keep them on here just in case I want to read something different. Doesn't usually work.

What does it sort them by?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I can sort by Author, or most recently downloaded, or by title.

Get rid of your 'guilt trip' over which books you should be reading. Read what makes YOU happy, not what anyone else tells you to. As you grow older, your tastes might or might not change. Mine did, but thats me.

Just enjoy what you are doing.
The only books you should be reading are those you want to. Unless you are studying, in which case you should also be reading your course books
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Maven View Post
Hey there to Diane in AR, you will adore your Kindle. I've had mine for 10 months and don't know how I managed without it. Wait, I know how: I packed 6-9 books for a 2 week trip to Spain, so I wouldn't be caught without something to read. And even then I ended up on my hands and knees, on the 4th floor of a Madrid book store, searching through the only shelf of English paperbacks, hoping they weren't all Romance, or books I'd already read.
Mwahahahaha I've been there! I had to learn "Where is a bookstore" in like 4 languages.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Maven View Post
Hello, Reader Maven and Welcome!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
I can sort by Author, or most recently downloaded, or by title.

Get rid of your 'guilt trip' over which books you should be reading. Read what makes YOU happy, not what anyone else tells you to. As you grow older, your tastes might or might not change. Mine did, but thats me.

Just enjoy what you are doing.
Oh I do read what I want to anyway But about 75% of what I read is romance, so I get a little worried sometimes. Plus a lot of the time I try something new and I love it. I just like to keep poking holes in my comfort zone.

On the flip side, I can say I am learning when I read them. A couple of the words I had in the GRE exam I learned from romance novels.
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh I do read what I want to anyway But about 75% of what I read is romance, so I get a little worried sometimes. Plus a lot of the time I try something new and I love it. I just like to keep poking holes in my comfort zone.

On the flip side, I can say I am learning when I read them. A couple of the words I had in the GRE exam I learned from romance novels.
At your age (well, maybe a little older) All I would read was Stephen King and other Horror novels.

I am now re-discovering a lot of better authors, but I am still reading only what I want.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
At your age (well, maybe a little older) All I would read was Stephen King and other Horror novels.

I am now re-discovering a lot of better authors, but I am still reading only what I want.
He's high up on my "big" list. I hope I don't get too scared...I've never even seen the movie "The Shining" (the book that is on the list).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #23
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
He's high up on my "big" list. I hope I don't get too scared...I've never even seen the movie "The Shining" (the book that is on the list).
Do yourself a favor with Stephen King. DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIES UNTIL YOUR READ THE BOOKS! 'whew.

His early books are awesome. The Stand, 'Salems Lot, Night Shift. But later, he got really weird, and it seems like all his books now have to do with horrible child abuse of some kind..i can't deal with that.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #24
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresKayter View Post
Thanks DGMa!! I got it!

Now I can start browsing and downloading!!! Yippee!!! (Oh, and wait the 6 weeks for the Kindle to get here)

Next question is the best & biggest SD card....any thoughts before I start browsing??
Just remember, bigger is not always better. I have a 1GB on my EZ Reader and it is plenty big (maybe too big). One nice thing about the EZ Reader is I can have subfolders and subsubfolders, etc. That helps sorting my books.

Oh & welcome HeresKayter. DG is a good ebook missionary.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Do yourself a favor with Stephen King. DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIES UNTIL YOUR READ THE BOOKS! 'whew.

His early books are awesome. The Stand, 'Salems Lot, Night Shift. But later, he got really weird, and it seems like all his books now have to do with horrible child abuse of some kind..i can't deal with that.
Eww no. I'll take your advice though

I was watching the Diary of Ellen Rimbauer this weekend. I saw Rose Red when it came out a few years ago. That was pretty cool

Random fact: my mom went into labor with me while watching The Shining.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #26
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Just remember, bigger is not always better. I have a 1GB on my EZ Reader and it is plenty big (maybe too big). One nice thing about the EZ Reader is I can have subfolders and subsubfolders, etc. That helps sorting my books.

Oh & welcome HeresKayter. DG is a good ebook missionary.

I could have done with a 2 GB easily, but got greedy......just like I would love to see an entire wall full of paper books as well....
Old 01-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #27
HeresKayter
HeresKayter began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Arrow

Quote:

Hi All....well, another week down and another week without my new Kindle BUT another week closer to it shipping!!! I so enjoyed catching up on this tread! I have read loads of Stephen Kings early works and I gotta tell you, one of my most favorite is one that is little known: "The Eye of the Dragon". It is more fantasy: it is about knights, princes, dragons and wizards. I distinctly remember my teenage self reading it at about 2 or 3 AM on a school night (cause who can put it down?) and getting so freaked out that I almost shreked out loud! It was a BOOK!!!! It really was that good! I would highly recommend it.....and those were pre-Harry Potter days! I did also read The Shining, among many others and yes, it is worth the read. VERY good!!!

<sigh> I am in a no reading phase right now because I really don't want to buy anything new....I really want to read the "True Blood" / Sookie Stackhouse series but I am holding out for my Kindle. So I am forced to spend my time online talking about what I am planning to read with all you faceless friends.....

Someone argue to amazon on my behalf that this Kindle wait is killing me!!!
HeresKayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

"The Eye of the Dragon" was a great book. I also enjoyed the one he co-authored with Peter Straub, "The Talisman"

And you can console yourself that you are not the only one waiting. The Amazon discussion boards are full of people with your same problem....
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #29
HeresKayter
HeresKayter began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Smile

Quote:
"The Eye of the Dragon" was a great book. I also enjoyed the one he co-authored with Peter Straub, "The Talisman"

And you can console yourself that you are not the only one waiting. The Amazon discussion boards are full of people with your same problem....
Ahhh....the amazon boards are a bit comforting! After all, it is there that you directed me here!!!
HeresKayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:52 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

I love your avatar!!

Tags
kindle, new member