Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
Bold fonts

I wanted to try a bold font on my paperwhite but the bold option is greyed out no matter which font I choose.

I tried installing a custom font by dropping the .ttf in the fonts folder but it doesn't show up as an option on my kindle.

Could someone please help me discover what I may be doing wrong?
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
I wanted to try a bold font on my paperwhite but the bold option is greyed out no matter which font I choose.

I tried installing a custom font by dropping the .ttf in the fonts folder but it doesn't show up as an option on my kindle.

Could someone please help me discover what I may be doing wrong?
If your book is in the mobi format, then that's the expected result, as mobi doesn't support either bold adjustment or custom fonts. Convert your book to AZW3.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You cannot use side loaded fonts on a Kindle 1. lso Mobi format eBooks do not support fonts or font adjustments.

Do you have a newer Kindle that allows side loaded fonts?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot use side loaded fonts on a Kindle 1. lso Mobi format eBooks do not support fonts or font adjustments.

Do you have a newer Kindle that allows side loaded fonts?
The OP is talking about the Paperwhite.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry. Yes, I do have a paperwhite. I apparently need to update my info screen.

And I do typically use .mobi (a holdover from my Kindle 1 I suppose). It appears I need to convert my books to .AZW3.

When I send a book to my kindle via Calibre do I need to specify which format to send?

Thank you for your help.
Advert
Old 09-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
I'm sorry. Yes, I do have a paperwhite. I apparently need to update my info screen.

And I do typically use .mobi (a holdover from my Kindle 1 I suppose). It appears I need to convert my books to .AZW3.

When I send a book to my kindle via Calibre do I need to specify which format to send?

Thank you for your help.
If the Mobi are conversions and you still have the source format(s), delete the Mobi from both your Kindle and Calibre and and convert to KF8 (AZW3) unless the source is already KF8. Then resend all of those eBooks to your Kindle and you should be good to go with adjusting the weight of the font you want to use.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:42 PM   #7
Jean
Zealot

Thank you. I am in the process of converting to .AZW3 right now though I may need to go back and re-convert the first couple batches I did since I didn't delete the .mobi first.

Last edited by Jean; 09-13-2021 at 03:11 PM.