Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #16
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm very happy with it. Cleaner more intuitive interface.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #17
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I agree. I like it too! It’s the future!
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 PM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioryoudare View Post
they try to use more scrolling and hand gestures but current e-ink screens on kindles are not smooth with swiping and other hand gestures. I am not sure if it is software base but it seems more like due to the nature of screens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm pretty sure it is the screens. Scrolling is a miserable experience on e-ink.
Agreed. I always use the arrow buttons if they're available.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I agree. I like it too! It’s the future!
Not my future.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:18 AM   #20
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Not my future.

From the worst film ever made: Plan 9 From Outer Space

"Criswell : Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable."

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Does not merit its own thread, but the Kindle apps for iOS/Android/Fire have a redesigned Home view (like the one ‘forthcoming’ for Kindle) and more significantly, the Table of Contents icon has been moved away from the ‘V’ (close) icon and when you tap on it, it contains only chapter navigation, and opens scrolled to show the current chapter. The About This Book, Before You Go are in the ‘…’ menu instead of at the top of the TOC.

This finally fixes a long-standing gripe of mine: one used to have to scroll the TOC view to see which chapter was current; now it is more like Kindle (and 99% of other reading apps).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C81111AD-9668-40E0-9C4B-775D5AAAB5B6.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	189308   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDF0C352-51A7-435E-918A-940BAC2EE866.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	189309  
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:19 PM   #22
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
My newest sewing machine requires swiping to access functions that aren’t on the startup screen. On a tiny (3.5” x 2”) screen I find using a finger to swipe is extremely imprecise and very annoying. After that piece of horrific “design” (justified as being more “attractive to younger people”) I can deal with swiping on an e-ink Kindle if I must. (I’d still rather not but then I AM old.)
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

"Criswell : Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable."

Was that actually, really, dialogue in a film?

Fortunately my Kindle future is a Voyage — and (also fortunately) it looks like its firmware will be stuck in the past. My new eReaders will not be Kindles.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:20 PM   #24
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
When the scrolling Library UI arrives, it looks like there will be Up and Down buttons to scroll, so it should not be necessary to use swipe as much there.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:25 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

Quote:

Plan 9 From Outer Space has been notorious as "the worst film ever made" for decades with the (well deserved) reputation as "so bad it's a hoot to watch".

It has many equally awkward stretches of dialog. The director, Ed Wood was sincere and had interesting ideas, but was completely incompetent as a screenwriter and director. His insistance on only doing one take didn't help.

Plan 9 was Bela Lugosi's last film. He died before filming finished, which resulted in some scenes with a standin that were really bad, even by Plan 9 standards.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
When the scrolling Library UI arrives, it looks like there will be Up and Down buttons to scroll, so it should not be necessary to use swipe as much there.
That's good. I do have one Kindle subject to this change (a Basic Kindle, 8th generation that I keep forgetting). I guess I can see the new UI on that. (Though I'm probably not going to hold on to that reader anyhow.)
Old 09-19-2021, 10:21 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Was that actually, really, dialogue in a film?.
Yes. Those were the opening lines of Plan 9 from Outer Space from 1957. Deservedly regarded as one of the worst films ever made. It was so bad that it was fun to watch.

Quote:
Criswell : Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are bringing you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimony of the miserable souls who survived this terrifying ordeal. The incidents, the places. My friend, we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty. Let us reward the innocent. My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts about grave robbers from outer space?
Sadly, that speech is not even in the top ten of worst bits of dialogue in the film though it does help to prepare you for the sheer badness you will be exposed to.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:24 AM   #28
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:

In hindsight, it is now obvious that Ed Wood had a prophetic dream and was actually discussing computer software in general or this Kindle update in particular. (Though his aptitude for the hilariously terrible was such that he probably thought "what a good idea! how can I use it to reduce my tax bill?")
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

Fortunately my Kindle future is a Voyage — and (also fortunately) it looks like its firmware will be stuck in the past. My new eReaders will not be Kindles.

Absolutely, that's the actual dialogue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6H14gVWjM
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Absolutely, that's the actual dialogue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb6H14gVWjM
I watched the first part of this on YouTube (probably the same link you've provided). Good grief.