Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hmm ... that is strange. If you can ever recreate the issue, please let us know.

ps. On my build, the up down search direction appears to work as before. So perhaps just a glitch of some sort?

Last edited by KevinH; 07-24-2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added ps
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sorry, not much I can do there, that's all calibre.
. . .
That was my conclusion too, but I hoped you might have a trick up your sleeve

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2 & Air/Surface Pro/Kindle PW
Thanks for all the hard work!

I did find a bug that wasn't squashed - not sure if it was supposed to have been??

The preview window is still not updating to the correct place - not syncing with the code view. More precisely - when I make an edit in the code view (either manually or with find/replace), the preview will reposition elsewhere on the page... what I've noticed most often it will reposition to about the middle of the html file. The preview window will sync properly if I click on the code view window where some text is located.

Let me know if you need more detail!

Cheers,
Dion
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'll check, but that's the first I've heard of Preview not syncing correctly in general. There was the find/replace thing, and the attempt to get MathML closer, but other than that, I've not heard any complaints of Preview not syncing correctly after edits (til now).

It's definitely syncing how I expect it to (Preview syncs to the Code View cursor) on Windows 10 and Linux.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:12 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not seeing this either with Sigil 1.7.0 on macOS. Please provide a detailed sequence of steps to recreate what you are seeing. Please make doubly sure this is with Sigil-1.7.0 and not 1.6 as changes were made since then.

Clicking on Text or Tags makes Preview sync to it. Active editing in CV will force Preview to reload and then sync to where the cursor in CV is.

Here are the Preview syncing related bugs that were reported for Sigil-1.6.0 that should be fixed in 1.7.0:
Quote:
- Fix Preview sync when CV transitions from xhtml to css and back to xhtml
- Fix Preview sync when Find and Replace opens new tab with search target
- Fix Preview sync when Validation error clicked on
- Fix Preview sync when mathml is being used (compensate for mathjax changes)
So if you are seeing something else please let us know how to recreate it so we can track it down and get it fixed.

Last edited by KevinH; 07-31-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm confused as to what you're actually experiencing, @ Turtle91. In one breath, you say Preview isn't syncing when you make a manual edit in Code View:

Quote:
when I make an edit in the code view (either manually or with find/replace), the preview will reposition elsewhere on the page... what I've noticed most often it will reposition to about the middle of the html file.
Then in the next breath you say that Preview syncs properly when you click on text in Code View:
Quote:
The preview window will sync properly if I click on the code view window where some text is located.
But since manual editing in Code View would naturally involve clicking on some text, I'm confused as to how the action of editing in Code View could both work and not work at the same time.

Also... if the xhtml file is large enough to be scrollable in Preview (and the area being edited is far enough away from the beginning or end of the rendered content that Preview is not scrolled all the up or all the way down) then sync will always put the content being edited smack in the middle of Preview's viewing window.

You're not under the impression that the cursor in Code View and the corresponding content being rendered in Preview should always line up vertically are you?

No matter if your cursor is at the top, middle, or bottom of Code View, Preview will always try to sync that content (where the cursor is) to the middle of Preview. Unless, of course, syncing the content causes Preview to scroll to the very top, or the very bottom of the rendered page.

Our sync between Code View and Preview was never intended to keep the content in both exactly in line with each other vertically. That's not possible. The goal is to keep the portion of the file you're editing in Code View IN the Preview Window. Near the middle if possible. So you can immediately see the results of your changes. It's the same for the reverse--Preview to Code View sync. The difference there being the text in Code View gets highlighted.

You may be aware of all of this already. My apologies if so. I just want to make 100% sure we're all on the same page as to the expected behavior of syncing between Code View and Preview.

Unless you have an epub or a situation where the above behavior is not happening as described (which I'm not at all ruling out), CV<->PV sync is working for us the way it was designed it to work.

I'm just trying to make sure this is not matter of expectations being different rather than an actual bug.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-31-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:34 PM   #22
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I just tested 1.7.0 again with find and replace in a long xhtml file finding the word "the" and replacing it with "athe" and Preview properly scrolled along with the Find and Replace actions as described above by DiapDealer.

So we will need your help to track down what you are seeing.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:25 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK...I was a little worried there that I had downloaded, and NOT installed, the new version...and was re-reporting an old problem. (The original report in Ver 1.6) I think when BeckyEbook mentioned she also had a problem it focused on the find/replace aspect and I didn't follow-up with the other part of the bug.

I just confirmed that the other part is still present in windowsx64 version 1.7

Easy steps to replicate what I was talking about before:
- Open an html file that is "longer" than your preview window
- Preview displays the top of the file (img1)
- Scroll the code view down a bit; such that the preview will reposition when you click in code view...and click in code view
- Preview updates such that the point you clicked on is roughly in the middle (vertically) of the preview pane (img2)

So far all of this is normal and expected behavior.

- Now edit the code view...either by changing the text (such as adding a space), or deleting/changing a class/style, etc.
- Preview "refreshes" and the point you were editing is no longer in the same position (vertically). Most often - for longer chapters - the position you are editing is no longer even visible in the Preview window. (img3)
- If you mouse-click on the same position you just edited, the preview window refreshes again putting that point roughly in the middle (vertically) of the preview window. (img4)

The same thing happens when you click on the style sheet tab, or ctrl-click on the class name. The Preview window will "refresh" to some other position - most often, for longer chapters, to a point where the position you were editing is no longer in the preview window. (img5)

When you make a change to the style sheet, the preview window will do a "double refresh"(???) It will flash to show the point you were changing, but then immediately refresh again to show the same (wrong) point it had previously.

This makes it slightly difficult to see the effects of your css edits until you go back to the code view on the html sheet and click on the point to re-sync the preview pane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	188465   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	188466   Click image for larger version

Name:	img3.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	188467   Click image for larger version

Name:	img4.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	188468   Click image for larger version

Name:	img5.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	188469  
Old 08-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #24
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Here is a Lorem-Ipsum test Ebook and my Sigil.ini if that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (4.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: txt sigil.txt (37.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #25
KevinH
Sigil Developer

I just tried your test on my mac by adding a space to the text and Preview synced just fine after it automatically reloaded the page following the edits with no need to click. I see from your images it is obviously not doing that for you.

Not sure why. Perhaps this is platform specific? The class clicking and return bug was fixed for macOS in Sigil-1.6.0 too.

So maybe this bug truly is platform specific. Let's wait to see if BeckyEbook or DiapDealer can recreate what you are seeing on their Windows builds.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #26
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

My very rough thoughts as to maybe where to look, possibly...

Mouse clicking in code view seems to sync preview properly.
Editing in code view (not clicking) causes preview to refresh improperly.
Switching to a css sheet causes preview to refresh improperly.

Are these possibly different "refresh routines", or do they send different parameters to the same routine???
Old 08-01-2021, 09:46 PM   #27
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The problem is that code is identical across platforms, and I am not seeing any of this on macOS but did see and was able to fix those issues when reported for Sigil-1.6.0.

But with Sigil-1.7 on macOS, I am just not seeing what you are seeing.

Here is a screen cap following your instructions after editing a line to add the word "Hello" to the start of the line and waiting for Preview to reload.

As you can see it is syncing just fine.

I also try with Go-To-Link-Or-Style on red and then back and it all worked just fine.

So this is going to be very hard for me track down on macOS as I can not recreate it.

Let's hope someone (Doitsu, BeckyEbook, DiapDealer, etc) using Sigil-1.7.0 can recreate what you are seeing on Linux or Windows. If not, I can try and create a debug build for you that adds a bunch of QDebug() output related to Preview position that you can capture in a debug log file so we see what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 9.48.03 PM.png
Views:	40
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	188473  

Last edited by KevinH; 08-01-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:35 AM   #28
Ashjuk
Addict
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Refresh works as it should for me.

If I make an edit to Turtle's ebook the preview window stays in the same place, and no mouse click required to reflect the changes.

Sigil 1.7.0 on Windows 10 64 bit.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:16 AM   #29
BeckyEbook
Evangelist
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (Key3, PW2, PW3), Nook (ST, GLP), Kobo Touch, Tolino Vision 2
I checked all steps twice and it works fine for me.

But…
I did a full test, in which I also overwritten my sigil.ini file, and then discovered that the issue really exists.

So I started to analyze step by step which line in the configuration file was causing the problem and found it.

The problem occurs at non-100% magnification in the preview window (both zoom in and zoom out).

zoom_preview in [user_preferences] section in your sigil.ini file

@Turtle91: Set the zoom for preview window to 100% until the issue is resolved.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 08-02-2021 at 04:21 AM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 05:24 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Interesting. I admit I never really use the zoom feature, so I never would have noticed. I'll test it out when I get a moment.