Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #31
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4+Fire 7", Onyx Boox Nova Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's weird. I have Windows 10 currently on four devices and none of them has just rebooted without any warning. Possibly some people have turned the notification about rebooting off in the settings and don't remember afterwards that they did so. No idea.
like i said, i didn't changed anything in the system or settings - it was a fresh installation of windows 10 without any changes. i only did changes to stop the madness after like 1 month of tons of lost data. i'm from germany so maybe the update process is a little bit different here or it's just a buggy mess.. wouldn't wonder me with all the mess win10 is.

anyway - i just hope Amazon will not activate a killswitch for older Kindle for PC installations.. thats the only way to backup my books currently since the newer versions won't allow you that anymore.
Kusuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
anyway - i just hope Amazon will not activate a killswitch for older Kindle for PC installations.. thats the only way to backup my books currently since the newer versions won't allow you that anymore.
You also have an eink Kindle listed in your profile. You could use the transfer via computer option to download and back up your Kindle books. No Kindle for PC needed.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #33
Kusuri
Connoisseur
Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kusuri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You also have an eink Kindle listed in your profile. You could use the transfer via computer option to download and back up your Kindle books. No Kindle for PC needed.
can i then convert this backup'ed books to .mobi / .epub ?
because i backup all books i buy from amazon and convert them to mobi / epub by using calibre to be able to read them on all of my devices (Android smartphone, kindle fire, kindle paperwhite, computer) without having internet access. it happend now more often than enough where shops like amazon removed items from the account of people, so i like to have stuff i buy secure on my harddrive.

if that would work, that would be a really good alternative when in the future older versions can't download books anymore because amazon drops the support.
Old 09-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusuri View Post
can i then convert this backup'ed books to .mobi / .epub ?
because i backup all books i buy from amazon and convert them to mobi / epub by using calibre to be able to read them on all of my devices (Android smartphone, kindle fire, kindle paperwhite, computer) without having internet access. it happend now more often than enough where shops like amazon removed items from the account of people, so i like to have stuff i buy secure on my harddrive.

if that would work, that would be a really good alternative when in the future older versions can't download books anymore because amazon drops the support.
Yes, if you remove the DRM. We cannot discuss DRM removal in detail here, but with this method the Alf plugin must be configured to work. There should be instructions on the Alf website.

This is the method I generally use. I have an old version of Kindle for PC installed, but rarely use it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #35
Kusuri
Connoisseur

Quote:
We cannot discuss DRM removal in detail here
didn't mention it on purpose because of this. it's okay - if it works like usual, it shouldn't be a issue. i gonna try this method thanks!
Advert
Old 10-20-2021, 09:42 PM   #36
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
There is an Engadget article (Windows 11 beta users can start testing Android apps) indicating that one of the few apps currently available to Windows 11 beta testers is the Kindle app.

I am now running Windows 11 on my PC and I will try it out once it is available to non-beta users.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote