Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 09:02 PM   #31
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just went to Amazon and did a search for mini USB cables. It's not hard at all to find them. In fact, it's very very easy. Mini USB will be the same.
I just typed in "mini usb" (without the quotes) and got pages of them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=mini+usb&ref=nb_sb_noss
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:05 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I meant, try finding one in a bricks and mortar retailer, I can walk into a gas station and buy a Lightning, MicroUSB, or USB-C cable. Strangely absent is MiniUSB.
I was getting miniUSB mixed up with microUSB, sorry for my nonsensical posts. You're right about brick & mortar stores and miniUSB cables Ś though I still find them fairly easily at thrift stores.
Old 09-20-2021, 09:06 PM   #33
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KT1, KPW3, KOA3, KFHD7 ('12 & '13), KF7 (2019)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Likewise, I think we may never see a new Oasis. It is the latest high-priced Kindle to die of insufficiently robust sales, following the venerable Voyage and DXG before that.
We're still gonna have the Oasis, the premium build quality and buttons are why. But they're introducing 4G LTE data as standard on the Oasis to help justify the price. Also, the slightly bigger screen.
What I really want is the return of the DX size but with enhanced notetaking and a stylus.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:08 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No they don't have the same screen. The PW4hasa 6" screen and the PW Premium has a 6.8" screen.
Not according to the leaked graphics on the Amazon sites in Mexico and Canada. Both have 6.8" screens, warm light and 17 LEDs.

EDIT: Looks like I already responded to this post once before. I'm really having a "red letter day." I probably should back away slowly and quietly exit before I cause more damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2021-09-20 19-07-25.png
Views:	112
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	189334  

Last edited by rcentros; 09-20-2021 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:47 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
I wonder if the PW4 is on it's way out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:16 AM   #36
ky˘dai
Connoisseur
ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ky˘dai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What do you mean by "the Oasis concept"? The irregular shape has been around for 5,5 years and Kobo, for example, has copied it for their premium readers. If you mean the charging cover, that was abandoned after the Oasis 1. But not the shape.

I certainly hope the wedge shape stays along with physical buttons. Don't like the regularly shaped ereaders. They were never ergonomic enough for me.
The concept of the Oasis was "a reader with detachable cover (battery)", making it lightweight and ergomomic.

Amazon ditched the battery cover with the Oasis 2, like you said. And shortly after they ditched detachable covers all together, after their design flaw with the magnets that were too weak.

So the current Oasis is neither particulary leightweight (it weighs almost the same as the Kobo Libra H2O), nor is it ergonomic, at least not when used with a case. (When you flip the cover around, the backside becomes flat.)

So why hold on to this concept?
ky˘dai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:02 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
They need to stop selling a 167 dpi Kindle. The current Basic is a pig with lipstick.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:15 AM   #38
dnmmx
Enthusiast
dnmmx is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
and it has adjustable warm-light feature too, as per the screenshot.
dnmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #39
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
They need to stop selling a 167 dpi Kindle. The current Basic is a pig with lipstick.
Don't get me wrong, it'd probably be better with 300 ppi, but to someone not terribly sensitive to pixel density, I find my basic kindle to have a subjectively better looking screen than my PW4. (better contrast? less glare?)

Last edited by binaryhermit; 09-21-2021 at 08:44 AM.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #40
TheSmitty
Zealot
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Voyage, Paperwhite(2018), iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini,Phone Xs Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky˘dai View Post
The concept of the Oasis was "a reader with detachable cover (battery)", making it lightweight and ergomomic.

Amazon ditched the battery cover with the Oasis 2, like you said. And shortly after they ditched detachable covers all together, after their design flaw with the magnets that were too weak.

So the current Oasis is neither particulary leightweight (it weighs almost the same as the Kobo Libra H2O), nor is it ergonomic, at least not when used with a case. (When you flip the cover around, the backside becomes flat.)

So why hold on to this concept?
Physical page turn buttons is what sets the Oasis (any old Voyage) apart. I do not like to smudge up my screen or accidentally turn pages. I suspect I am not alone in this department. If they have physical turn buttons with this new device (on both sides like on a Voyage) then it is compelling for me as I suspect it would not be as wide as my Oasis and more pocket friendly.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #41
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
The new paperwhite has appeared on Amazon.de-Pages. Text in German
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08N3TCP2F?th=1 (Paperwhite 11)

As described before:
6,8 inch display mostly due to smaller bezels
USB-C-Charging
300 dpi, adjustable colour temperature, 10 % brighter
10 weeks battery life
8 GB memory
IPX8
slightly larger than PW10: 174 mm x 125 mm x 8,1 mm, 205 g (PW11), PW10 was 167 x 116 x 8,18 mm and 182 g.

Signature edition
Same, plus
- wireless charging
- 32 GB
- auto-adjusting light

Prices are 130/150 Euros (with/without ads) and 190 Euros (no ads) for the signature edition

Shipping from Oct 27 / Nov 10 (PW11 / signature)

Last edited by marvin_2; 09-21-2021 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Added shipping dates
marvin_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:29 AM   #42
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
now on the US site

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KTZ8249...=theverge02-20

*link is from The Verge as I couldn't find it advertised on Amazon's site, haha.

EDIT: checked with Amazon, the current 10th gen Oasis is NOT eligible for trade in.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 09-21-2021 at 11:05 AM.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 11:51 AM   #43
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
now on the US site

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KTZ8249...=theverge02-20

*link is from The Verge as I couldn't find it advertised on Amazon's site, haha.

EDIT: checked with Amazon, the current 10th gen Oasis is NOT eligible for trade in.
That is nuts. I think the Trade-in matrix is messed up. It says my PW4 gets Ĺup to $30ĺ gift card but when I try it it only offers $5. Itĺs in perfect condition, how would I ever get $30?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #44
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KT1, KPW3, KOA3, KFHD7 ('12 & '13), KF7 (2019)
More links

And supposedly it's now listed on Amazon India. I suspect Amazon gave up on keeping this new Kindle a secret.
https://reddit.com/r/kindle/comments...e_preorded_it/
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #45
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Interesting. Like many others, I must have page turn buttons. Those are an absolute deal breaker. Hopefully down the line they'll add the wireless charging, but again, not important to me as long as I have page buttons.

And the non symmetrical shape has been around since the very first kindle. The K1 has a wedge shape, and buttons of course. I read on it yesterday just to see if it still works.

I don't find the new Oasis too heavy, although I preferred the smaller oasis as far as weight goes, but it didn't last long without the cover. I don't read my new Oasis with any cover, that would defeat the whole purpose of the ergonomically wedge. Its so much more comfortable to hold and change pages. Flat things like paperwhites slip out of my hand as I have to move my thumb over so constantly have to change my wrist position. I sometimes even have this issue with the Voyage because the buttons are in a very small area for me so its hard to grip without cramps for too long. Great screen on it though.

I might get my husband a new paperwhite for xmas. He is still using the very first one that came out I bought and hated because of lack of buttons. And screen isn't too great. He doesn't care though. But I think its not holding a charge as it used to.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote