Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2021, 06:17 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.
Yep. I was thinking along those lines myself. I have an H2O1, look to the left, but for that outlay and those specs, I’d have to decide whether I’d prefer a Libra or a Paperwhite 5.

As things stand now, I have a Glo that’s a book repository given its micro SD card slot; however, there are signs it might not last much longer. In that case, it would make sense to pop the SD card into the H2O and make that the repository and buy a Libra to take over for the H2O. OTOH, the advantage of the Paperwhite 5 would be direct access to my Kindle library on eink, which would be handy.

Well, the bottom line is that I’m obviously sufficiently deviced and I can wait on developments. Mostly it’s just fun to think about.

Last edited by issybird; 09-20-2021 at 06:47 PM.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GlowLight 3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So I wonder, will there be a new basic Kindle with a 6" 300 dpi screen? Or is Amazon ditching that market?
I was wondering the same. Now that that they only have one 6" eReader, will they upgrade it?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:16 PM   #18
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I The Oasis was always too expensive and I hated the form factor anyway; that sharp corner cut into my palm.

The Oasis 1, or all the Oases? (I've never held an Oasis 1.)

I don't like holding an Oasis 2 or 3 when the metal is cold or hot. Nor do I like all the futzing around when switching hands, but I've never had trouble with the corners. OTOH I don't read on my kobo in part because its corner hurts my palm.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i'd like Amazon to upgrade the Paperwhite 4 with the warmlight.

best wishes koboy
I hope not. The PW4 is a fairly poor device. Bring back an updated PW3 and dump the PW4. The PW3 has a clearer screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:07 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Wireless charging isn't cordless. It needs the pad, which must be practically in contact, cord to pad and a higher power mains charger as it's lower efficiency. You can't easily read while charging.
So called Wireless charging (really inductive) is a sort of fashion statement on phones and tablets and makes less sense than cable or a dock.
Tablets ought to have an coax socket or dock or both to optionally charge/power while the USB is being used, especially in USB2Go mode. Some tablets do and it doesn't contravene EU directives as long as the USB port can also charge it.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-21-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:35 AM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Other then possibly the USB port, the PW5 is a clone of the Kobo Aura H2O. Just get one of them and you'll have something very similar that runs better software.
And didn't the Kobo Aura H2O have a external micro SD card slot?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The Oasis 1, or all the Oases? (I've never held an Oasis 1.)
The Oasis 2/3. I’ve never held a 1, either. But as far as the Oasis goes, it was always academic for me anyway as far too expensive.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And didn't the Kobo Aura H2O have a external micro SD card slot?
The original one with also IR touch. I don't think the two later models had it.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:37 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The original one with also IR touch. I don't think the two later models had it.
There have only been two H2Os, IIRC.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
According to Engadget, it's now official including a Kid's version
https://www.engadget.com/amazon-kind...130032095.html

But I'm not seeing it on amazon.com so methinks someone jumped the embargo-related gun
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There have only been two H2Os, IIRC.
There is the original and then a mk1 & mk2 of a later version. So, yes two main versions, but the 2nd version has a significant revision. Gen 5, 6 & 7.
I have the original with SD card slot behind door.
They don't exactly use the same version of the FWs:
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
Quote:
Kobo Aura H2O kobo5 4.28.18220 August 2021 DownloadNotes
Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1 kobo6 4.28.18220 August 2021 DownloadNotes
Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2 kobo7 4.28.18220 August 2021 DownloadNotes
Old 09-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

"The devices now support USB-C fast charging."
Which means shorter overall battery life.
I've never had a problem with charging time on ereaders.
Engadget is a bit more reliable than Goodreader, but tends to print PR as fact.

"The screen is 10 percent brighter than the previous model at the maximum setting". This is meaningless. Even 20% is very bright. If you need it brighter then the lighting is so bright you could turn it off.

Quote:
The company says the 300 ppi screen is glare-free and looks like real paper, which allows for "easy reading in all conditions, even direct sunlight."
Um, ALL eink ever are pretty glare free and even the original eink Sony is fine in direct sunlight.
I'm quite sure without the front light, or full daylight it's not like FRESH copier paper. It's going to be hardly different to a Voyage, Oasis or PW3. Or an original Kobo H2O.

It's an Amazon press release and copywriters have used too much hype.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Also every Amazon Kids thing I've ever tested was crippled beyond sensible. My grandchildren all have regular ereaders.
Two years warranty? Well Amazon and Apple have both been in trouble for charging for a 2nd year in the EU. The EU and UK both have variations of SOGA for years, which gives 2 to 6 years depending on product and includes refunds for false advertising claims.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #29
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
According to Engadget, it's now official including a Kid's version
https://www.engadget.com/amazon-kind...130032095.html

But I'm not seeing it on amazon.com so methinks someone jumped the embargo-related gun
From the article:

Quote:
Starting later this year, you'll be able to set up and change settings on the e-reader using the Kindle app on a paired iOS or Android device.
I have noticed that the latest versions of the Kindle apps have started requesting access to Bluetooth. I wonder if it is because of that feature.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
I hope not. The PW4 is a fairly poor device. Bring back an updated PW3 and dump the PW4. The PW3 has a clearer screen.
the point i was making is i'd like a 6 inch Kindle with the warmlight function. i mentioned the PW4 because imo it's the obvious choice.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote