Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2021, 03:34 PM   #196
Smidra
Smidra began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/G090G1
Lightbulb Shoud I JB my unregistered PW3+5.8.1

Hello guys,
I own an unregistered, PW3 (G090G105), never connected to wifi.
All the different threads and wiki finally brought me here. On my Kindle PW3 I would like to play chess and manage collections, that is all.

I think this Jailbreak should work on my Kindle model. However, I do not know if any Chess app is available for Paperwhite 3 or if the collections will become unlocked with jailbreak. I was not able to find any PW3 apps here. (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Prefix_Index#PW3) Could anybody help please?

Thanks to everyone working hard on maintaining the infinite number of hacks and Kindle models.
Smidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #197
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Yes, this jailbreak is for you.

Chess
http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-chess/

Chess (not free)
http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/index.html

Chess problems solving
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282376

Collections
https://github.com/NiLuJe/librariansync
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2903535
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:15 AM   #198
Smidra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Yes, this jailbreak is for you.
Chess
http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-chess/
Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to Jailbreak succesfully.

However, the chess app does not launch. I downloaded my files (version fw >= 5.6.5) from (http://www.fabiszewski.net/kindle-chess/)
  • Extracted and copied all files to the extensions folder
  • Restarted Kindle
  • Started KUAL
  • Clicked the menu entry for eBoard
  • --> home screen appears and nothing else happens.

I encoutered the same behavior with the simple calculator Oddly enough, Minesweeper and Librarian work just fine.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #199
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@Smirda,
AFAIK there is a patch needed for chess to work. Let me double-check it once I get home
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #200
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Smirda,
Here you are! This version should work, I took it from my Kindle. Not sure where did I get it from, maybe somewhere on 4PDA forum.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:26 PM   #201
Smidra

Thumbs up It works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@Smirda,
Here you are! This version should work, I took it from my Kindle. Not sure where did I get it from, maybe somewhere on 4PDA forum.
It works great! Thank you very much for your time. My kindle is like a brand new device now.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #202
mergen3107
Wizard

Great! Glad I could help!
Old 02-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #203
ddimasbr
ddimasbr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Onyx Boox M96 and Kobo Aura HD
Hello. I have a PW3 with FW 5.12.4. How do I downgrade to FW FW 5.9.6.1?
ddimasbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #204
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddimasbr View Post
Hello. I have a PW3 with FW 5.12.4. How do I downgrade to FW FW 5.9.6.1?
By opening the case and connecting wires to the serial port

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #205
monguin
monguin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
I'm new to jailbreaking and I'm looking for some guidance. I have a PW3 (I guess it's a PW3G), purchased used with 5.9.5.1, and updated to 5.9.6.1 as part of the jailbreak process. The device was previously registered, and after resetting it, I reconnected it to that same dummy Amazon account. Because the device prompted me to register without an option to skip, I just registered; I realized later that I might have tried copying update files to the device without registering - so not sure if I screwed up there.

All steps in the guide seemed to work as expected, until I got to step 8. I copied the mrpackages and extensions folders to the kindle root, and copied the KUALBooklet file to the mrpackages folder. Later I tried also copying the KUALBooklet_hotfix and KUAL.cfg files, since it wasn't clear if those were necessary. After ejecting the device and running ";log mrpi", I saw no effect. I'm not sure what I was supposed to see. After finding this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=297669, I tried running ";711" and I did see the 711 Page, including two fields that might be relevant: "1.3 Registration: Yes(1)" and "1.4 Certificate: Yes(1)".

Later, I also copied the contents of the KindleLazy repository (https://github.com/llakssz/KindleLazy) to the extensions/KindleLazy directory.

I'll note that I updated some of the formatting at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak to make it easier to follow, I hope that's alright.

I'd like to say thank you to everyone involved for helping me even get this far, although the process is a little daunting for a newcomer. At this point, I'm hesitant to try anything outside the guide without some advice. I apologize in advance for leaving out any useful information, please let me know what I can share to get some help, or if there is a better thread I should move this to.

Thanks!
monguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:52 PM   #206
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@monguin: That either means you:

* Are using a production FW instead of the factory one
* Bungled the JB install
* Bungled the hotfix install
* Bungled the MRPI "install"

Note that, as far as point 1 is concerned, the registration process might have taken care of screwing that up for you. Don't do that (or a factory reset, or whatever else you might have thought of that isn't explicitly asked for in the guides) before everything's done .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #207
monguin
monguin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
@NiLuJe I'm not quite sure what that means for next steps for me, since it seems I need to restart the jailbreak process, but I need to avoid a factory reset. Should I deregister, then start at step 3? Thanks for your help, and your patience!
monguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:53 PM   #208
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Or you can also try your hand at the latest JB by jumping to an affected FW range and using that, instead.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #209
cartloadchapter
cartloadchapter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hi, guys. If I jailbroken my PW3 on 5.9.6.1 firmware, can I update to 5.14.1.1 and keep my jailbreak? In case jailbreak is gone, is it possible to return to 5.9.6. firmware by resetting a device? Thanks
cartloadchapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #210
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartloadchapter View Post
If I jailbroken my PW3 on 5.9.6.1 firmware, can I update to 5.14.1.1 and keep my jailbreak?
Possibly, you'd probably need to run the hotfix again afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartloadchapter View Post
In case jailbreak is gone, is it possible to return to 5.9.6. firmware by resetting a device?
No, resetting the device would not allow you to downgrade the firmware.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, pw3, pw3 jailbreak