Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #1
wsha
wsha began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
How to slow down continuous scrolling in Android?

I am using KOReader 2021.02 from F-Droid on Android 11. The book I am trying to read is 363 pages. With continuous scrolling, I find that a short swipe scrolls the document by a short amount. However, if I keep my finger on the screen the document continues to scroll. It scrolls pretty quickly as well.

Is there any way to slow this down? Ideally, I would like scrolling to work like it does in most Android applications where the amount of scroll is equal to the amount I move my finger (so when my finger is still, there is no scrolling). I have hunted through all the settings but not found anything that looks like the right setting.
wsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:30 PM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Are you perhaps referring to text selection? Panning works fairly similar to Android apps.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
wsha

I am referring to panning, not text selection.

It seems like perhaps panning works similarly to other apps but there is another gesture active that pans by one page when there is a hold on the page and that that gesture keeps firing? If I drag my finger down the page and hold it, I can watch the book pan through 20 pages without lifting my finger. That is if I hold my finger totally still. If I wiggle it side to side after dragging down, the document continues to scroll indefinitely.

I see this with the default settings for a new install. I can't find any gesture in the settings that would pan by a page during a hold. Am I missing something?
Old 03-02-2021, 08:09 AM   #4
wsha

I am talking about panning, not text selection.

If I touch near the top of the document view (but not high enough to activate the top menu) and then drag down, I see the document advance by about twenty pages. If I hold my finger still, it stops there. If I wiggle my finger side to side without lifting it, I see the document continue to advance. I can get it to advance indefinitely this way.

Perhaps there is some other hold gesture active at the same time that advances the document by a page and that is also firing? I see this on a new install with default settings. I have looked around at the gesture settings but nothing seems to match that behavior.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #5
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So don't use the page flipping view.

By default that's (de)activated by tapping in the top left.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
wsha

Oh, I was not aware of page flipping view. I see in the wiki that it is only available for PDF and DjVu documents. My document is an EPUB. I tested that I could activate and deactivate page flipping view for a PDF, but for the EPUB tapping in the upper left as no effect. Any suggestions for an EPUB?

I am attaching a video of me dragging on the document in case that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip pan.ogv.zip (3.35 MB, 165 views)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard

I'd set it back to the default of page view instead of continuous view. You might get ugly things like split lines in continuous.

But indeed the behavior in that mode seems arguably a bit odd. I say arguably because you get tap on the left/right or swipe left/right for single page movement, so it makes sense to have the panning movement do something else.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
franc
Connoisseur
franc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsha View Post
I am using KOReader 2021.02 from F-Droid on Android 11. The book I am trying to read is 363 pages. With continuous scrolling, I find that a short swipe scrolls the document by a short amount. However, if I keep my finger on the screen the document continues to scroll. It scrolls pretty quickly as well.

Is there any way to slow this down? Ideally, I would like scrolling to work like it does in most Android applications where the amount of scroll is equal to the amount I move my finger (so when my finger is still, there is no scrolling). I have hunted through all the settings but not found anything that looks like the right setting.
I have the same issue and opened an issue on Github:
View mode: continous - swipe moves lines much too fast #7413
Before I had asked it here already too:
Contionous reading - fine adjust line moving
franc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #9
franc
Connoisseur
franc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I'd set it back to the default of page view instead of continuous view. You might get ugly things like split lines in continuous...
This is not a problem, because after a tap to get the next (or previous) page, the bottom line is again clean separated from the next and no split line anymore.
franc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader, scrolling, scrollmotion