Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If it's that much of a stinker, just report that it was a stinker and you did not manage to get past the first xx chapters. Some poor soul who is looking at the glowing reviews might be saved.
As long as there's an explanation of why the book was abandoned. Reviews just saying 'so bad I couldn't finish' aren't helpful.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Each book download page allows comments posts. To me that is where reviews, + or - belong. That way they are directly associated with the item being reviewed.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Each book download page allows comments posts. To me that is where reviews, + or - belong. That way they are directly associated with the item being reviewed.
Well, not "every" one does. If I download a book from a site like PG, there's nowhere to leave reviews.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, not "every" one does. If I download a book from a site like PG, there's nowhere to leave reviews.
A potential reader would have to be aware of a book in the first place (or be browsing a store) in order to find reviews that are posted alongside the book.

I think the Reading Recommendations forum is a good place for someone to post either "I just discovered a really great book that want to recommend to my fellow MobileReaders - here's my review" or "I just read a really terrible book I recommend you avoid, and here's why".

Hopefully Glen or anyone else posting a review will remember to use spoiler tags (or put a warning in the thread title) if you will be discussing the plot in detail.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #20
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was referring to books downloadable from this site. As for a thread with multiple reviews, is the search function on this site good enough to find the reviews? I have not been impressed when I have tried subject searches.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #21
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Quote:
I was referring to books downloadable from this site.
I definitely would love people to review the books I upload here in their particular upload thread. Somehow, that hardly ever happens. (And I don't write reviews of other people's uploads either, so I can't complain. But it would be nice anyway.)
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was referring to books downloadable from this site. As for a thread with multiple reviews, is the search function on this site good enough to find the reviews? I have not been impressed when I have tried subject searches.
I had (perhaps wrongly?) assumed he meant to create a new thread for a review of a specific book, rather than one long thread about multiple books. A single-book thread with the book named in the thread title should be easy to find on a search.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:44 PM   #23
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I had (perhaps wrongly?) assumed he meant to create a new thread for a review of a specific book, rather than one long thread about multiple books. A single-book thread with the book named in the thread title should be easy to find on a search.
Well there is no infrastructure for reviews anyway, so we can pretty much do whatever we want, so long as we don't violate the more 'generic' rules. If we do decide to start doing real reviews on MR, I suspect over time, some unwritten rules will develop. As for now, I suggest doing what you think best and we can sort it out later.

I'm reading a book right now that probably will deserve some positive recognition, when I'm done with it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What's odd about Mobile read is Glen's incorrect spelling of MobileRead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #25
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's odd about Mobile read is Glen's incorrect spelling of MobileRead.
Same church different pew
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Same church different pew
That's the problem. The way you spelled it, it's a Church. The way it's properly spelled, it's a Temple.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:21 AM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well there is no infrastructure for reviews anyway, so we can pretty much do whatever we want, so long as we don't violate the more 'generic' rules. If we do decide to start doing real reviews on MR, I suspect over time, some unwritten rules will develop. As for now, I suggest doing what you think best and we can sort it out later.

I'm reading a book right now that probably will deserve some positive recognition, when I'm done with it.
I have a suggestion for an unwritten rule. Make the review section opt in like P&R. This way you don't accidentally get a spoiler and the reviewer doesn't have to put spoiler tags.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #28
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I have a suggestion for an unwritten rule. Make the review section opt in like P&R. This way you don't accidentally get a spoiler and the reviewer doesn't have to put spoiler tags.
Well, book reviews don't always contain spoilers - if the reviewer just quoted the book blurb as a synopsis, and then stated why they liked or disliked it without going into details about the plot it would not necessarily need spoiler tags.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If you don't want to read a spoiler, stay out of the thread. You already know which book the thread is about. So join the thread once you've read the book.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #30
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
I'd prefer to have reviewers use "spoiler" tags if their reviews contained such. I sometimes like to read reviews to get ideas for books or to help me decide if a book I'm thinking about would be right for me. If I didn't know whether a review contained spoilers or not it would keep me from using the reviews posted. I suspect this would be the case for others as well.

Quote:
If you don't want to read a spoiler, stay out of the thread. You already know which book the thread is about. So join the thread once you've read the book.
What you're referring to is more a book discussion thread--something I see as being different from a review thread. I'd join a discussion threat to discuss my feelings about a book after reading it, I read through a review thread to get other peoples' opinions to help decide if I want to read the book or not.

Last edited by dordale; 03-16-2018 at 06:01 PM.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote