Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Sony Reader Adobe DRM Enabling?

I have several Sony Ebook readers which state that they are not yet Adobe DRM enabled.

Does any one have a step by step procedure, or a link to one, to enable Adobe DRM on these no longer Sony supported devices? Ones needing updating include a PRS-950, PRS-350, PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 units. Seems to me that they should have come from Sony so enabled.

BTW I do not have the Sony computer software installed and am working with an old computer that runs Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Richwood; 01-08-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I have several Sony Ebook readers which state that they are not yet Adobe DRM enabled.

Does any one have a step by step procedure, or a link to one, to enable Adobe DRM on these no longer Sony supported devices? Ones needing updating include a PRS-950, PRS-350, PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 units. Seems to me that they should have come from Sony so enabled.

BTW I do not have the Sony computer software installed and am working with an old computer that runs Windows XP.

Thanks in advance.
It looks like you just have to load an Adobe DRM file and then the Reader will prompt you for your account information. At least that's what the Sony support shows ...

http://www.community.sony.com/t5/Rea...ted/td-p/35937

My 505 isn't authorized, but all my other Sony devices show that they are. I guess I should try it out on the 505 (if I can find my old ADE login name and password).

(I just realized that it appears that this procedure requires the Sony Reader software.)

EDIT: The T2 had my ADE login credentials and I remembered my password, so I installed ADE on a Windows 8.1 partition and then installed Sony Reader. To authorize the 505, I just ran the Sony Reader software, which prompted me to authorize the computer with my ADE credentials, then plugged in the 505 which the software automatically authorized (I guess it just grabs the information from the Sony Reader information). Now the 505 shows that it is authorized to read DRM ePubs.

EDIT 2: The Sony Reader download wanted me to pick a specific device. If I have five Sony devices, does that mean I have to download the software five times?

Last edited by rcentros; 01-08-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Added information
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You might only need to authorise them using Adobe Digital Editions. Or you might need a firmware update.

You can find the latest firmware updates at sony.com or sony.co.uk
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You might only need to authorise them using Adobe Digital Editions. Or you might need a firmware update.

You can find the latest firmware updates at sony.com or sony.co.uk
I just went ahead and plugged in each device. The three that were already authorized (when I bought them), were authorized in a different name, so the Sony Reader software prompted me to leave them that way, or re-authorize them in my name (which I did). Once that was done all devices worked fine with the same installed software. Now I'll go back through and see if any of them need to upgrade.

Thank you.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Does any one have a step by step procedure, or a link to one, to enable Adobe DRM on these no longer Sony supported devices?
Wouldn't it be simpler just to remove the DRM?
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I don't think any of my Sonys are Adobe DRM enabled. I use Calibre to take the DRM off of everything anyway so it's not an issue.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I don't think any of my Sonys are Adobe DRM enabled. I use Calibre to take the DRM off of everything anyway so it's not an issue.
For me it's just a matter of wanting all the features to work. Whether or not I ever need them is beside the point.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:00 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
For me it's just a matter of wanting all the features to work. Whether or not I ever need them is beside the point.
Will Sony's version of Adobe's DRM still work? My local library dropped support for several older versions of ADE a while back and I seem to remember someone mentioning their Sony ereader would no longer work with the library site.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Will Sony's version of Adobe's DRM still work? My local library dropped support for several older versions of ADE a while back and I seem to remember someone mentioning their Sony ereader would no longer work with the library site.
I was using a Sony PRS-T1 at the time of the Overdrive library change. The T1 could no longer be used for direct access to the library, but it could still read Overdrive epubs downloaded on a PC and synced to the reader using the Sony software.

I have since switched to a PRS-T3 which does still have direct library access (at least until the next time Overdrive does a major overhaul......)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You've given me something to test. I know I can still use my T2 to download ePub books from the library via its browser (not the Overdrive app), and they work without using ADE or Sony Reader. But now I'm curious to see if the 505 (my oldest Sony) can use Overdrive books via ADE.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I was using a Sony PRS-T1 at the time of the Overdrive library change. The T1 could no longer be used for direct access to the library, but it could still read Overdrive epubs downloaded on a PC and synced to the reader using the Sony software.
Have you tried downloading Overdrive books via your browser? That's how I use the T2 with Overdrive now.

Quote:
I have since switched to a PRS-T3 which does still have direct library access (at least until the next time Overdrive does a major overhaul......)
So the T3's Overdrive app still works? Seems like Kobo/Sony could easily update the app for the T1 and T2 then.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had always used the browser rather than the app. Last time I tried, it was still possible to access the library but downloading did not work on the T1.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I had always used the browser rather than the app. Last time I tried, it was still possible to access the library but downloading did not work on the T1.
Maybe it depends on the library – or maybe the T1 is different enough from the T2 not to work. I just downloaded a book on the T2 to test it and it still works with the Fort Worth Library.

But downloading to ADE/Sony Reader has been a total failure so far. I was able to download the book and copy it into the Sony Reader software, but I'm told that "another user" has downloaded it and am unable to read it or sync it to my Readers. If I remove the Adept key in the Registration file (using RegEdit) as instructed by someone found with a Google search, than I'm prompted for a Vendor login – Overdrive is one of the choices, but I have no way of knowing their user name or password. I can't even return the book because I'm not an authorized user. I guess I have no clue how ADE works with Overdrive (or, apparently, how ADE works in general). I can login into an Overdrive account using my library's login and password, but that doesn't seem to get me anywhere either.

(Now downloading the Overdrive Windows Desktop software. I'll see if this helps.)
EDIT: Looks like the App is just for reading or playing media already downloaded?

EDIT 2: Well, I got the second book to load on the 505. I think what I was doing wrong is that I hadn't verified my Overdrive account yet. At any rate it looks like you can still use the Sony Readers with Overdrive, though I certainly need to know a LOT more about what I'm doing. At this point both books I downloaded say "in use by someone else" or something like that in ADE and I can't return them. I can't read the first one in the Sony Reader software, but I can read the second one there in with the 505. I'll figure it out, but I can see why Kindle is popular.

EDIT 3: Was able to add the book to the 350 also. So it looks like these can still be used with Overdrive for library loans.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-10-2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: More information.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
4691mls
Wizard

Sometime when I am home and have time to look at it I will try the T1 again and see what the error was - can't remember right now.

Update - it is possible to use the browser to log into the library on the T1 but when I try to download I get "download unsuccessful". The T2 and T3 must have something newer that allows them to work with the newer version of Overdrive.

Last edited by 4691mls; 01-10-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The T1 still works with the DRM used with ePub via Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote