Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Read only files - Sigil is crashing (not really)

Hi,

yesterday i downloaded several books from here. For wahtever reason these files were stored on my mac without having write authorization.

After working on these files and saving, Sigil answered that tjhe file couldn't be written, Siogil may crash and needs to restarted.

As i wasnt aware that the files didnt had write authorization for me the message was a little bit

At least Sigil didnt restartet even thougjh it said so and all changes were still present. After finding the root cause (well i still dont know why these three books were stored on my mac having only read aujhtorization) and changing that everything was fine.

Maybe the error code coming back from the save procedure can be checked more detailed and a more harmless error message might be helpful to others.

But: i dont know how much effort this is and for sure it has low priority (at least for me now). Just want to mentioned it in case one of the developers is bored

|\/|aui
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Well it does say "may" crash. I don't think we really want it to be a more "harmless" message, do we? It's a catch-all error message. Depending on the issue and the platform, Sigil very well could crash (and/or restart). We keep it generic (and worse case, obviously): "Take appropriate measures before proceeding. Bad and unforeseen things are happening."

We're probably not going to have a specific "what-to-do-if-someone-tries-to-save-to-a-read-only-file" check.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote