Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
DirkManet
DirkManet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Publication Date in Calibre

Hello, I would like to manage my epub's metadata in Calibre but I am struggling with the fact that publication date is always at month level.
When I pick a date with the date picker, it seems not to be saved. If I export the epub and open it with e.g. EPUB Metadata editor, the 'old date' is still shown.

Furtermore, Calibre requires a number when entering a series. Not so helpful.

What I am looking for is a Windows metadata editor, which supports
Title, Author, Sort-Author, Series, Number, Publication Date and tags (e.g. thriller, novel, ...) and has a file renaming functionality based on that...

Anyone an idea?
Thanks
DirkManet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Date picker is stubborn. YOU MUST pick (click) all 3, even if some are highlighted.

Tweaks: ID: gui_pubdate_display_format Roll it your way
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
DirkManet
DirkManet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks a lot. My date problem is solved now.
DirkManet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkManet View Post
Furtermore, Calibre requires a number when entering a series. Not so helpful.
What I am looking for is a Windows metadata editor, which supports
Title, Author, Sort-Author, Series, Number, Publication Date and tags (e.g. thriller, novel, ...) and has a file renaming functionality based on that...
I seem to remember that calibre defaults to 1.00 when you enter a series name manually. If you are adding a book that is not the first in series, how else is calibre going to know what number in the series a book is? Even metadata download doesn't help since more often than not, the series information is missing or incorrect.

As for file naming? The filenames in calibre's library are not to be touched unless you enjoy unscrambling eggs. You can set up a save to disk or save to device template to rename the exported books as you want. A quick search should give you some help with those functions.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-18-2020 at 01:59 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David
There is a Tweak for how to index series when added.
IIRC 1 is the default, but there are options
Old 01-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
David
There is a Tweak for how to index series when added.
IIRC 1 is the default, but there are options
I currently have that tweak set to:

Code:
# Auto increment series index

series_index_auto_increment = u'first_free'

use_series_auto_increment_tweak_when_importing = False
There doesn't seem to be a add the correct series index by reading my mind option.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There doesn't seem to be a add the correct series index by reading my mind option.
For some series, what is needed is an "add the correct series index by reading the authors mind" option. And an "automatically update the series details by reading my mind when they change it" option.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
An example (not because of the author) in Kobo store are the books of Andrzej Sapkowski in Italian translation:

In the first 3 books the series is "The Witcher" (in English, because of the Netflix series), books [1-3].
Then there are 4 books which series is "La saga di Geralt di Rivia". Books [4-7]
And finally the eighth book is without series information. It should be book [8].
All books belong to same series.

Last edited by ps67; 01-19-2020 at 02:30 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
An example (not because of the author) in Kobo store are the books of Andrzej Sapkowski in Italian translation:

In the first 3 books the series is "The Witcher" (in English, because of the Netflix series), books [1-3].
Then there are 4 books which series is "La saga di Geralt di Rivia". Books [4-7]
And finally the eighth book is without series information. It should be book [8].
All books belong to same series.
Since I tend to edit the metadata on import, this hasn't been much a problem for me.

I would suggest doing a search on the author, selecting the books in the series, do a bulk metadata edit and entering your preferred series name and possibly selecting either of the two options on setting series index. Then clean up the series index as needed.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Series is not 'official' DC metadata.
Like many, I also massage my metadata and covers upon import. For most part, downloaded metadata is a jumbled mess.
Some of this is because INDIVIDUALS provide many sites with their version .

Toss in Publisher (we are talkin' at you larger houses) inconsistencies (even their own NAME )

Then the Authors change their mind as the series progresses.

So the simple answer: Do it your way! After all, it is YOUR library
Old 01-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #11
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I haven't still bought them. Of course when (and if) I will do it I will change the series information with calibre. That was an example of strange series.

But the thing is that I had to search elsewhere the real series information (Wikipedia, I love You )
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub metadata editor, metadata, publication date, sigil