Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #46
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Surprisingly heavy after you read for a while. Seems like I must need to build up my wrist muscles or something, but after a few minutes I have to prop it up. Actually, seems to be top-heavy.
Its a thin object and the way you're holding it means that its acting like a lever. I did the very unscientific test of balancing my Kindle on a pencil and its not noticeably top or bottom heavy.

Quote:
How it goes to sleep seemingly moments after I set it down. If there is no burn in with e-ink, why not just keep it there?
It goes to sleep to save battery not to save the screen. When it is asleep, the only way to wake it is the power buton on the bottom. If it left the last page visible whilst asleep then you'd get people complaining that their Kindle "died" because its not responding to any keys. It only monitors the power button as its less complicated and more power efficient to do so than to monitor every key.

Quote:
And while it's something of a paradox, having the instructions on how to use the e-reader actually on the e-reader is kind of problematic. When you want to look something up and you're not familiar with using the e-reader, it's kind of frustrating having to use it to look it up.
You can download the Kindle app for PC or Mac and read it there. I know it isn't quite the same as having the documentation in the box but it'll make it easier to read IMO.

Quote:
Also, this isn't a Kindle problem, but more Amazon. I had "bought" a bunch of free ebooks from Amazon, classics. Only when they were delivered, they were formatted horribly, in some cases basically unreadable.
Are they actually published by Amazon or a proper publisher? Anybody including me and you can create books to sell on the store so you have just ended up with some badly made ones.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #47
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Perhaps not a "gripe" in the true sense of the word, but I discovered that if you use the smallest font available, and it is surprisingly legible, you get a more distinct "black flash" as you turn a page.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is that simply because there's more "black" on the screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #49
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't really think there is more "black" on the screen, sure there are more lines, but on the other hand each letter is smaller, so I can't say the a page is "blacker" with the smaller font. It just seems to take an additional 0.2 seconds or so, and that is enough for the eye to register the delay, I suppose.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:00 PM   #50
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
My gripes:

1. Serious: Search functionality has changed from KDX and K2. Now it is somewhat fuzzy (periods do not matter anymore, word boundaries do not matter) and there is no way to turn this off.
2. The top row keys do not show numbers. I have to guess.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #51
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Yeah. That is a bit strange. The Kindle DX has the numbers on the keys but the Kindle 3 keys are smaller so it doesn't fit. I would have expected them to just print on the casing itself but they didn't for some reason. The casing already has the Amazon Kindle logo at the top so its not like its an extra step...
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #52
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
My gripes:

1. Serious: Search functionality has changed from KDX and K2. Now it is somewhat fuzzy (periods do not matter anymore, word boundaries do not matter) and there is no way to turn this off.
I hate this too
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The 5-way is a little tricky so far, at least when I try to use my thumb. My thumbnail is a little long (for guitar) and 'up' is a little hard to execute without hitting Menu. And 'down' tends to press Back also. Hope I develop a feel for it.

Speaking of unintended Back presses, wish there were a Forward button (or maybe Shift, Back or Alt, Back would do this). For example it would make it easier to jump back and forth between two locations or even two books. Also the browser would like a Forward button on the keyboard instead of one you had to navigate the cursor to.

Lack of number keys (or labels) doesn't bother me. Fingers aren't labelled either, but we use them to count with <g>.

Note that you can enter numbers with one finger as the ALT key 'sticks' for a second or so (as does the Shift key).

Last edited by tomsem; 09-02-2010 at 02:37 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #54
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The 5-way is a little tricky so far, at least when I try to use my thumb. My thumbnail is a little long (for guitar) and 'up' is a little hard to execute without hitting Menu. And 'down' tends to press Back also. Hope I develop a feel for it.
Odd. I've not had any issues with the 5 way at all. I can push it with a finger or my thumb and I only hit the direction I want and not Menu/Back or anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Note that you can enter numbers with one finger as the ALT key 'sticks' for a second or so (as does the Shift key).
Ah cool. Didn't know it did that. Handy!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #55
ylsul
Connoisseur
ylsul is on a distinguished road

I don't much like the k3 keyboard. The letters printed on the keys are so small for my old eyes, that they are hard to discern in dim light.
ylsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #56
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylsul View Post
I don't much like the k3 keyboard. The letters printed on the keys are so small for my old eyes, that they are hard to discern in dim light.
I do think the black lettering on the white keys of my K2 are definitely easier to read than the lettering on the graphite Kindle.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #57
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

There are small dots under the F and J key. Any idea why? Are keyboard shortcuts documented? What about Easter eggs?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #58
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
There are small dots under the F and J key. Any idea why? Are keyboard shortcuts documented? What about Easter eggs?
There are normally small dots or underscores on all computer keyboard F and J keys.

I believe that they are there to help touch typists orient themselves without having to look at the keyboard.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #59
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Haa, you're right. I hadn't even noticed that before on any of my keyboards. How embarrassing! Who, in their right mind, would want to touch type on the Kindle keyboard? 4 year olds?
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM   #60
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I think the organizational software still needs work. Should be ez enough to categorize your books automatically into things you've started reading, things you haven't touched and things you've marked as finished, for example. I know you can do the book-keeping yourself, but a few ez self-org strategies would really help and should not be difficult to code.
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote