Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
The White Stripe of Doom

My iLiad has developed the white stripe of doom -- a 2mm white stripe across the screen, with another running up the left hand edge of the screen.

It's only a few weeks since I got it back from having its main board replaced after it started switching off by itself. When it came back it had a small widget stuck in the SD memory slot which I had to get out with a pair of tweezers. It also had a small (cosmetic, I thought) blemish on the case, in the narrow bit between the bottom of the page bar and the top of the up arrow key, the the case felt slightly creaky, especially round the page bar, as if it weren't quite as solid as before. I've also had a thin white line appear on the screen three times since the repair, but they always went away after a page turn, so I assumed it was a software glitch. The latest stripe just kept getting bigger, though. And it starts precisely next to the blemish on the casing.

Back to the repair shop it goes. I'm convinced the case wasn't put back together quite right, or was damaged in some way and is causing pressure on the edge of the screen. Since my iLiad hasn't been out of the house since it got back from repair, and has mostly been sat on my bedside table, I know it hasn't had any rough handling on my part. Let's hope iRex agree with me and don't try to charge me for a new screen...
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I believe they call that a "Line Out Error". It's happened to a few people and seems to be a manufacturing defect. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I believe they call that a "Line Out Error". It's happened to a few people and seems to be a manufacturing defect. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Well, that's encouraging!

They replaced the main board last time. If they replace the screen and the casing this time, I'll have a new machine!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Congratulations to your back luck again, carandol. ;-)
My remote diagnostics says it's a warranty case. Mine had it too. Just a "line error" as Adam said.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Congratulations to your back luck again, carandol. ;-)
My remote diagnostics says it's a warranty case. Mine had it too. Just a "line error" as Adam said.
Gee, thanks! :-) I thought my ebook reader would be good for taking on holiday with me, but it seems to be getting all its foreign travel without me!

As I said, "line error" sounds hopeful.
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
I do not have the line error but a white spot about 2x2cm which is brighter than the rest of the screen (actually it would be nice if the whole screen was as white as the spot).

I think it needs repair (again).

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
carandol
Evangelist

Last time I submitted a ticket for support from iRex, I had reply in a couple of hours. Its 28 hours since I sent this latest one -- any one know if this is normal?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #8
carandol
Evangelist

Well, that's a relief! Just had word back from iRex that my iLiad screen *was* broken (and am I sure I didn't drop it? I am!) but since it was obviously incorrectly reassembled after the last repair, they've given me the benefit of the doubt and fixed it for free (phew!).