Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
SirHumphrey
SirHumphrey began at the beginning.

Device: iPad using Marvin 3
Post Does anyone wish that eReaders and apps would allow you to adjust line-length ?

Maybe this is just me, but I think that adjusting line-length would be much better than adjusting the margin size because that is what people want to make longer or shorter in most cases.

I think I am especially affected because I like to read some books in paged mode and some books in scroll mode (where I need to have huge margins to make the line length bearable in horizontal mode).

Also I've noticed that on some apps (not the one I use at the moment, but interesting to note regardless) I have 2 columns in horizontal mode (on some eReading aps, the margin gets doubled up and appears to be a doubly big space (because if the margin is 20 px, it appears to the eye that the two margins between the columns are one big 40 px space).
SirHumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Adjusting line-length won't work. Margins do work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
SirHumphrey

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Adjusting line-length won't work. Margins do work.
Why not ? Through CSS, it could be easily done with something like
Code:
.column {width: 40em;}
as seen here.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That won't work with ADE. I just tried it with ADE 2.0.1 and Calibre's viewer and both ended up pushing what was on screen off tot he right and oout of bounds of the window. Better off to use a left/right margin of 30em. That would work. What you want to do is done with left/right margins.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-06-2018 at 03:08 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
SirHumphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That won't work with ADE. I just tried it with ADE 2.0.1 and Calibre's viewer and both ended up pushing what was on screen off tot he right and oout of bounds of the window. Better off to use a left/right margin of 30em. That would work. What you want to do is done with left/right margins.
While I didn't try it with ADE, if you try it in scrolling mode where Calibre (where the default styling is disabled, which would otherwise interfere with the new width it should work).

Regardless, I'm asking if people actually think this feature would be more useful than just margins.

I have a question for you: When you are setting the margins, are you more concerned with how close the lines are to the edges of the screen or are you concerned with how long the lines are ?
Advert
Old 01-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHumphrey View Post
I have a question for you: When you are setting the margins, are you more concerned with how close the lines are to the edges of the screen or are you concerned with how long the lines are ?
The former. I typically set the margins so there's a small visible gap between the letters and the edge of the screen, but I'll make them a bit bigger if I'm using a larger font so that it still looks balanced.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
The former. I typically set the margins so there's a small visible gap between the letters and the edge of the screen, but I'll make them a bit bigger if I'm using a larger font so that it still looks balanced.
Works for your screen on device 1. The problem with 0 margin is the bezel display module relationship. These are not precision devices. Your screen may be slightly high-right.
BTW I think the width attribute is mainly for images and table columns
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote